Keep my 1996 bryston 4B or get a new 4B

I have a Bryston 4B I bought new in 1996 and it still works wonderfully. I been thinking of buying a brand new Bryston 4B dose it pay to spend 8500 on one and will I gain better sound then I an currently getting. I have upgraded the rest of my system in the last 2 years from a pair of dynaudio special forty speakers a rel s510 sub a rouge rp7 preamp a pro ject tubebox ds3b phono preamp and a new cocktail audio x45 streamer along with my linn turntabel. And all new pure silver audio cabels. Would I gain anything in the sound quality by replacing my amp for a new current model or would I do better to spend the money to up grade and improve my lp12 turntabel. Thank-you Michael. 

mal11963

OPTIONS (in order)

(1) If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

(2) Send it back to BRYSTON for their lookover and have them refresh any age-related warts, if any are even required .= a refurb to bring it back to factory specs in essence, and carry on.

FWIW, I was looking at buying a 4b a few years ago when they came out with the new cubed series. Comments at the time implied this was a fairly significant improvement to the overall sound. I did not end up going that way, but it does sound like the product has been improved. 

Perhaps this is useful. I used Bard.

The Bryston 4B: A Legendary Power Amplifier

The Bryston 4B is a legendary stereo power amplifier that has been a benchmark for high-performance audio since its introduction in 1976. Over the past four decades, it has undergone seven revisions, each improving its performance while maintaining the core design principles that made it so successful. Here's a brief history of the Bryston 4B:

1976: The Original 4B

The first Bryston 4B debuted at the Chicago Consumer Electronics Show in the summer of 1976. This initial version offered 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms and quickly gained acclaim for its neutral sound, robust build quality, and exceptional reliability.

1977: Critical Acclaim and Growing Sales

In 1977, renowned audio critic Peter Aczel published a glowing review of the 4B in Stereophile magazine, praising its transparency, power reserves, and ability to drive demanding speakers. This review significantly boosted the 4B's popularity and sales took off.

1978-1992: Subsequent Iterations

Over the next 15 years, Bryston continued to refine the 4B, releasing several updated versions with improved performance characteristics. These included the 4Be (1978), 4B NRB (1982), and 4B ST (1987). Each iteration retained the core strengths of the original while incorporating new technologies and design tweaks.

1993-2008: The 4B SST and SST²

The 1990s saw the introduction of the 4B SST, a significant upgrade that featured a new circuit board layout, improved thermal management, and higher power output (200 watts per channel into 8 ohms). In 2003, the 4B SST² was released,offering further refinements such as balanced inputs and a THX Ultra2 certification.

2008-Present: The 4B³ and Trade-Up Program

In 2008, Bryston launched the 4B³, the current iteration of the iconic amplifier. This latest version boasts a further increase in power output (300 watts per channel into 8 ohms), updated circuitry, and a sleek new design. Additionally,Bryston introduced a unique trade-up program in 2017, allowing owners of older 4B models to upgrade to the latest version at a discounted price.

Impact and Legacy

The Bryston 4B has had a profound impact on the high-fidelity audio industry. Its exceptional performance, longevity, and dedication to quality have earned it a loyal following among audio enthusiasts and professionals alike. It remains a benchmark for power amplifiers and a testament to Bryston's commitment to crafting audio equipment that stands the test of time.

Here are some helpful resources where you can learn more about the Bryston 4B:

For sure buy a new one ,the capacitors are old and at their end the new design is better in every way.

Plus 1 for sending it back to Bryston for a look see.  I’m sure replacing the bits that should be replaced will be a lot less than $8500 and your sound should be improved.  Maybe there’s an update/upgrade they can do as well?

All the best.

Don't waste your time sending it back for the same old, same old.  Send it to me for an upgrade.  Better power supply capacitors, better resistors, etc.  It will become a reference level sounding amp.  Bryston won't be soldering in those parts that's for sure!.

I bought a 4BST new in 2000 and had it for 19 trouble free years. In 2019 I traded it in on a 4B3 which sounds noticeably better. I’m not sure how much you’d have to spend on your turntable upgrades to equal that. Or how much to update your 4B, but it will still be a 4B. My 2¢, I think you should go with a new 4B3.

It’s cheaper to keep her. As suggested, do the Bryson refurb thing. If cost be no object, buy the latest and greatest 4B3. When 2050 rolls around, upgrade again to the 4B9 or whatever. A 4 time a century amp upgrade appears to be cheap overall…..

That 20 year warrantee is a factor - buy it once, buy it right. If I used my 4BSST for a main amp, I would surely upgrade. Why not audition a new one? Bring your 4B along for comparison.

I already sent it back to bryston in 2018  I decided to  see how far I  could push the amp and the end result was a pair of ADS L8E speakers totaly fried and the right chanel of the amp clipped and the red light comming on in the front. I turned the volu.e all the way up as far as it would go bad idea. It cost me 500 dollars to have the amp fixed. At the same time I had the amp totaly went through for an extra 300. And then they warenty it for 2 years after words. I learned a hard  expensive lesson. I won't go beyond 1 a clock on the dial. The amp is the power sorse for my system. I have herd there is a big difference in the sound of the sst I have from 1996 and the st3 of today.my only thought is it that much better that it is worth bying a new 4 b the new one is 8500 and if I where to trade in my current one I can get a 2500 credit from bryston sl now I have to shell out 6000. When for that kind of money I can get a really good cartridge  and up grade the barring and power supply to my lp12 linn turn table. The sound  improvement of the new bryston 4B would have to knock my socks off to up grade  Michael 

Since you recently sent your 4B  back to Bryston for a repair you should  be good for another 20 years.  If you're happy with your system you can save your money. Or if you feel your system still needs improvement put it into your source. Most important, have fun! 👍