Gryphon Diablo 120, Luxman L-590AXII, Other? For KEF R11

I have a MyTek Manhattan II and Parasound A21+ right now paired with my KEF R11’s.  Use the MyTek as preamp/DAC/streamer - considering replacing it and the Parasound with an integrated.  Have the opportunity to pick up the Gryphon or the Luxman for a good price -any thoughts on what may be a better match for the KEFs?  Any other suggestions for a good match in a similar price range? Thanks!

128x128bruxesq

both excellent

gryphon > luxman by a little

but both are a good bit above your r11's in relative quality level.... 

Thanks for the input.  I think the R11’s punch well above their weight, but do plan to upgrade at some point relatively soon.  In the meantime, looking to max their potential.

Hi,

I would compare the 120 to the 509x rather than the 590 axii.

Both are very good and pretty close in quality. They differ  in presentation and the Luxman is cheaper.

But the 590 axii is very good too, it is a A class. That’s the one I am using to drive my Triangle Magellan.

Thanks, any thoughts on what would be a better fit?

My biggest concern with the Gryphon is the comment I’ve read that the top end is “dark”.  My KEFs already have a relaxed top end and so I am concerned with the synergy.  That being said, the Gryphon mids are described as lush and the bass described as being big and ballsy.  I would like to squeak better bass performance from the KEFs and a warmer or lusher mid might be good with the otherwise very neutral MyTek. Hard to tell if these pluses outweigh a potential big negative.

I know the Luxman has quality watts, and the KEFs aren’t real hard to drive, but impedance can drop below 4ohms, so I don’t know if the Luxman can provide the increased dynamics I’m looking for, especially in comparison to the Gryphon. Any thoughts?

The Gryphon’s top and is anything but dark. I don’t know how the Luxman sounds, but Gryphon’s are hard to beat. Having said that, they definitely have a character. Whether or not the character matches your preferences will only be determined by an auditor of that is an option.

I recommend keeping separates rather than diving into mid tier integrateds. Perhaps get into a reference level amp like a used parasound JC5 and then get a preamp later on. I get the feeling that the equipment you are looking at would be more of lateral move than a step up.

Parasound gear is nowhere near Gryphon. The Gryphon 120 and Luxman 509 are on another level from the JC5. I auditioned the 120 and 509 extensively and went with the Gryphon 300 only because my speakers are a tough load. The 120 is a sweeter sounding more ballsy amp than the 509, a good match for your R11s most likely.

Can't speak to the Gryphon, but 590AXII replaced over $10K worth of separates in my system, and I won't look back.  Get 'em while you can; discontinued but as you say probably available at a discount for dealers closing out their remaining inventory.

I believe Jay's Audio Lab on youtube did a video on having a pair of Gryphon amps repaired or refurbished. There is no authorized Gryphon dealer in the US so Jay had to spend $2,500 (I think) on overseas shipping alone to Gryphon on top of the repair quote. Luxman has authorized repair centers here in the states. Hudson Valley HiFi is a retailer and authorized repair place for Luxman. I believe Mike at Hudson Valley HiFi still has a 590 demo (He did about 3 weeks ago when I purchased my 595 from him).

I would like to squeak better bass performance from the KEFs and a warmer or lusher mid might be good with the otherwise very neutral MyTek.

I don’t know about the Gryphon Diablo 120 but have the Luxman L-590AXII. Just like Fatdaddy2, the Luxman replaced a costlier separates in my main system. The separates are now relegated to the secondary system which i rarely use.

Perhaps owners of the Gryphon Diablo 120 might be able to explain on the sonic attributes of the amp. I find the L-590AXII to be a neutral sounding amp with very little coloration. It won’t give you a big ballsy bass. What you get is a clean sounding bass which is taut and defined. You will hear all the layering and texture in the bass if it’s in the recording. Other amps might mask this layered or textured bass a little with the bass sounding smeared. In other words, the bass with other amps might sound fuller, bigger or ballsier while with the Luxman you get a leaner and cleaner bass but one that’s textured and detailed. The dynamics, punch and kick in the midbass and upper bass are all present in the Luxman but you just get a clean bass as opposed to boom boom bass with other amps which may sound more impressive or worse depending on musical preference.

Midrange is also very clean, perhaps leaning very slightly to warm. Treble is airy and detailed with a slight tube-like glow which is very nice. I use a quality(rather costly) power cord on the Luxman and the source is also quite decent.

I believe both Gryphon and Luxman are good amps and the choice will be dependent on system matching and listening preference. Good luck.

I recommend keeping separates rather than diving into mid tier integrateds. Perhaps get into a reference level amp like a used parasound JC5 and then get a preamp later on. I get the feeling that the equipment you are looking at would be more of lateral move than a step up.

this advice is misguided and incorrect in my opinion

Hi. I own that precise "combo" (Luxman L-590AXII + Kef R11) and these two, get along very well. I tried to home demo several different combinations (Pass Labs, Rega top level models, other Luxman models - as the mentioned L-509 etc.) and this Class A integrated amp is all that I apreciate more for my taste.

Even the L-509 (Luxman) didn´t match so well with these R11 speakers. I know very well the most of the Luxman models (that I love) and they depend a lot of the speakers match. Even the new (and limited edition) L-595 didn´t match the R11 as great as the L590AXII. Its a excellent amp (class A too, a little bit more smooth in the highs maybe, but in the lower parts I did like more the L-590AXII). 

I am quite satisfied in all frequencies. The bass is powerful and with that full body sound feeling (not boomy but tight), the medle range is very sweet and unique on these class A amps, the higs very smooth. 

As sources I use analog and digital, and in both ways are great. 

Any question or doubt feel free to ask here or in private. 

Cheers

Even the new (and limited edition) L-595 didn´t match the R11 as great as the L590AXII. Its a excellent amp (class A too, a little bit more smooth in the highs maybe, but in the lower parts I did like more the L-590AXII).

It appears that you have compared the L-595SE to the L-590AXII. That’s great. Based on your description I can imagine the 595 to have a more robust or muscular presentation in the bass and/or midbass than the 590AXII. However, the treble of the L-595SE might sound a tad smooth or recessed in comparison to the L-590AXII.

If I could surmise correctly, I suppose a L-595SE with the treble performance of the L-590AXII might be a winner?

Good point with speaker matching. I prefer the L-590AXII matched to revealing and detailed Marten Duke 2 speakers. These speakers will show a harsh and brittle treble when matched with forward/bright/colored sounding amps. The Marten sounds just right with the Luxman, great clarity and detail without sounding overly bright in the treble. I didn’t like the Luxman/Harbeth match too much though, sound is a little too smooth and polite.

Thank you all for the input.  Sounds like a lot of positivity for either.

I’m somewhat leaning Luxman because the built in phono is supposed to be quite good and I may add a TT in the near future if the amplification gets me to where I want to be.

Anyone out there had any real world experience with the Gryphon and any KEF speakers?

Well, unfortunately the used Luxman I had an eye on has sold, so I'm really interested in any further comments on the Gryphon.

In general, it sounds like the Gryphon may have a more aggressive sound - if that translates to some better dynamics for the KEF R11, I could see that as a good thing.

Hi all,
Wanted to jump in here because I am considering a similar move to bruxesq and have similar components. Presently, I have the Mytek Manhattan II which I also use as a preamp and dac, an Auralic Aries G1 to stream from Roon, Parasound JC5 as my amp and I have a switchbox to two speaker sets: Harbeth M 40.2 and the PSB T3 Imagine towers. I mostly use the Harbeths and listen to jazz at low to moderate volumes.

I also want to simplify my life and just change things up - so I am considering trading in the Mytek and Parasound for an integrated. I have been thinking about the Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE (used only, too pricey for new) or the Gryphon Diablo 120 (or 300, not sure). And now I am seeing in this thread recommendations of the Luxman integrated.

Would be interested in opinions about which way to go with an integrated that I would like to have for a good long time and maybe my "forever" system.  Recommendations from your knowledgeable folks?

As an FYI, I reached out to a dealer contact - one that I had demoed the KEF Reference with before.  He now reps Gryphon and has the 120 on demo.  He advised that the Gryphon would not be a good match for the KEFs.  I respect his opinion as he has a pretty straightforward style.

Back to the drawing board for me!

He didn’t - he offered a few suggestions on speakers that would go better with the Gryphon.