Best small used monitors under $1000

What what speakers and associated equipment integrated, cables etc. Small room approx 10x12. What speakers make you want to listen for hours and forget about the equipment or the endless search.
Brian

128x128brianportugal

In your size room, KEF LS-50 without a doubt. Readily available for under $1000. What some consider a lack of dynamics is actually accuracy - a lack of 'boom and sizzle'. Definitely helps if you have a solid 75-100w/Ch amp. Solid stands are required.

I have the original 3/5 spendors not the r or later model. The one enjoy the music reviewed.

Hi yogi boy, there are many ls 3/5as with replaced parts or parts that aren't correct. I had purchased a pair of chart wells and Doug Stirling thought the units were not correct. 
I do like my Spendor s3/5s just want it more forward and better highs. They are very musical and I enjoy them. The vr1s are very different and are more forward  with nice highs. But the spendors are easy to listen to.

Hello

Monitor Audio Studio 2/ Great Detail and Fokus one of Best Tweeters ever..
Triangle Comete/with MF David or Mission Cyrus Amp and
Tube Amps a great Combo.
Reference 3A midi master/for me the best Compact Speaker ever.

Greetings,
Stephan 

@ brianportugal
Like I said,all of them are very similar. The later models have a tad more bass. If you don’t like your 3/5’s then I doubt you will like the newer ones. BTW,what fakes are you talking about?
Thanks Yogiboy. I'd love to listen to a really good LS 3/5a but there are too many fakes.  Of the spenders which did you like the best?
I’ve owned the 3/5, 3/5r, 3/5r2 and the SA1. They all sound very similar except for the SA1, which was brighter than the rest. BTW, I now use the Harbeth P3ESR that I like better than the Spendors or any other LS3/5A type speaker that I have owned!
I just purchased a pr of used Von Schweikert VR1s in very nice condition. They sound amazing with the Primaluna. Still wonder how the Quad 12L and Spendor S 3/5 compare to the S3/5r2. Any have or hear these?
Thanks 
Brian
Triangle Titus 202.   First version.   OUTSTANDING small monitors.  Very efficient and work extremely well with tubes.  Bass response is limited below 60hz, while treble is very extended.  Some say they can sound bright.  I find them to be natural.   Lightning bolt fast transient response.  They image extremely well in depth and width.  I would pair them with a tube amp, or a warm class A SS amp.   Once positioned correctly they will disappear.
Well as akg ca said the Rega 1 family are speakers you can listen to 24 hours a day and never get listener  fatigue , dead natural with a 1 cap X-over , easy to drive and  to look at .
On of the best buys ever in audio !
I have a room just a bit larger, 11.5 x 13.5.
The best speakers I've ever had in this room were Boston Acoustics T-830s; but they are a small floorstander.
Other stars were/are the Genesis Physics model 7 for their crystalline clarity; but a bit shy on bass.
PSB Imagine XB. All the bass you can handle and smooth, sweet vocals.
What I'd like to try: NHT C3s, but then I'm partial to acoustic suspensions.
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/16546-c-3-bookshelf-loudspeaker#specs
@brianportugal 

I've never heard any of the Argon's.  I know they use completely different drivers, so I have no idea if they sound similar to the Helium's.
Seikosha! Do you know anything about the argo2 vs the Helium 2 by Anphion? Sonically and cost.
brian

For that budget skip the separates and go active  The Airpulse Model One"s will easily outperform anything under $1000.00
Nuprime sta-9 amp and Schiit Saga preamp.  I also have a Rega Brio but prefer the Nuprime with the Amphion.
Hi brianportugal,

Its the Amphion Helium 2 that I listen to in my second system.  My main system consists of the Omega Alnico monitor driven by Quicksilver Horn Mono amplifiers.  I really need to update my systems page.
Seikosha, which amphion heliums do you like and what equipment..? We have very similar taste in equipment.

I still have my omega 3xrs and really love them, what are you using now for single driver speakers and associated equipment?

brian

Lately I've been seriously auditioning bookshelf speakers under $1k, and for the most part I've been quite disappointed. I did come across a new one, however, that both I and my most experienced audiophile friend have been raving about -- the new HSU CCB-8. They are a bit larger in size than most bookshelves, but their sound is impressive. Just make sure you take the grills off when you listen. For some reason the grills have a significant muffling affect on the speakers. 
Post removed 
I bought a pair of KEF LS50 used with stands for $750!  They are found used regularly for less than $1,000.  Originally I was driving them with a NAD 326BEE which I picked up used still under warranty for $275.  This makes up a pretty amazing system for around $1K.  A better option would be Rogue Audio Sphinx integrated which you could find used for less than a grand.  LS50 is least expensive Stereophile Class A recommendation and they keep a Sphinx on hand for many of their speaker comparisons.  Stereophile believes this pairing is ridiculously good for the money.
KEF R101.  I have two sets in two different rooms.  I bought them new in the early 1980's.  They sound wonderful, and get better each year.  I see them from time to time on ebay and other used resources.
Dynaudio DM 2/6. The DM 2/8 is what I use really smooth in my opinion or the ZU Audio ZU cube are great.
Kef ls50 lack dynamics and need expensive amplification.

Trust me - Jbl lsr 305 - very good dynamics that some 10k speakers are unable to deliver. The Neumann kh120 is 10% better in sound quality, better build quality (cast aluminum), metal grilles, made to last forever!
chord mojo DAC - the very best if you listen to low Bitrate stuff like webradio, Spotify or MP3 
The Wavetouch Grand Tetons are superb and compete with virtually any speaker made - can be found used for <$1000. True "giant killers!"

Second choice would be the KEF LS50 - without question.
In that Price Range there is nothing better than active studio monitors.

JBL LSR 305 + chord mojo + tablet/ smartphone or chord poly

option 2

Neumann KH 120 AW (white version) + Ayre codex + sotm sms100

use single solid core cables only like audioquest, dnm, vovox

get good Stands 
Wow. 22 plus different model suggestions to what I thought would be a simple answer. Tough hobby to get into! :)
Try Vienna acoustics Hayden, incredible sound when used with a powerful amp. They're pretty close to my VA Bach and Mozart 
Platinum Audio Solo
A pair comes up on here from time to time under $1000 with stands(which are critical).  They are a beautiful speaker that sounds amazing.  I have the Quattro tower and absolutely love them.  

I bought a pair of inexpensive LSA speakers that sound pretty good in my high end preamp going to Akitika power amp which I built for a few hundred dollars. Good enough for my casual listening. I have a mostly class A system for my listening (in my music chair).

For my snowbird home I bought a pair of used Revel Performa 2s for under 1k. They will be matched with a First Sound preamp and a Plinius P10 power amp and a serviceable Marantz CD player that I may upgrade at some point. The Revels are quite a bit better than the LSAs. Over the years I have upgraded my speaker and interconnect to Acoustic Zen through Audiogon. I do have basic Supra speaker cable in my casual system that sounds quite good for a very reasonable price.
I had Neat Motive 3, Monitor Audio GX50 and Epos K5.
Then got PMC DB1i ... those PMC's blow them all away for me.
Simply amazing
Post removed 
@yogiboy my search is over after Harbeth:) Sometimes I wonder why I didn't audition them before so I could end my speakers search years ago:)
Although I'm a single driver guy, I do have a second system where I'm constantly fooling around with more conventional setups using small speakers.

My current favorites are Amphion Heliums.  I've had many of the suggested speakers on this thread (P3esr, LS50, Silverline Minuet + among others) and the Amphion is definitely my favorite.  Currently using them with a Nuprime STA-9 and a Schiit Saga preamp.
@celo
I was thinkin’ the same thing. I have those speakers and have never seen them listed at a price that low. BTW,yesterday there was a rosewood pair listed at $1300 and they were sold in 2 hours!
@yogiboy Good find!
@brianportugal I would just buy them really. Worse case scenario, you sell them at the price maybe even more than what you paid for.
There is a pair of Harbeth P3’s that is listed here for $1200. You should jump on them before someone else grabs them!
If you're willing to go the active route I highly recommend the Airpulse Model One's - $995.00   I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and Just a great all around speaker for the price and then some. I'm going to be doing an updated review on these soon 
I heard every speaker in the current Harbeth line except the P3ESR. I can’t imagine they sound bad:) I assume you are in Portugal. You may able to find a used P3ESR around $1000ish. Not in US though.
Any Green Mountain Audio monitor such as the Callisto or Europa, possibly the Rio also