ARC REF 750

Well I finally pulled the big trigger , I just purchased an Audio Research REF750. After many years loving and enjoying my Krell FPB 600 i got tired of all that booming bass and now missing the musical clarity that I know want. Don’t get me wrong I still love that big beast of an amp. It never gave me one problem. It works and always worked flawlessly. I also think that my ARC Ref 6 will be a really good match for the REF 750. Now I’m really thinking about that 6 to 6SE upgrade from ARC. Can’t wait til they arrive.Also use a Rega ISIS CDP and B&W 801 Matrix speakers 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

I'll be happy to take that beat up old Krell off your hands 😁

Seriously, hope the new amp is a beast, good luck!

Congratulations. That will be a great pairing with your Audio Research Preamp. I have a REF 6SE. Given the relatively expensive the upgrade is versus, say waiting for the 7 and then trading in. It seems like a pretty good route. I went from a REF 5SE to the 6SE. 

I have all REF stuff.

@ghdprentice   Hi. Yes. I can’t wait for delivery. I also went from the 5SE to a 6. The 6SE wasn’t out yet. But came out soon after. I was kinda disappointed but loved the 6. Now I really think the upgrade will definitely be worth it for me. 

Congrats. Are they the massive two storey monoblocks? Hope you have AC in the attic.

@noromance   Hi. First   TY. Second. Yes they are those 2 story ones. 2 chassis on them. It’s also not an attic. I have my whole upstairs as 1 big listening room. 

@noromance   Hi. First   TY. Second. Yes they are those 2 story ones. 2 chassis on them. It’s also not an attic. I have my whole upstairs as 1 big listening room. 

I have both the Ref 150 SE and Ref 80S with a Ref 6. The two amps have a very similar presentation. They both need a TON of break-in. 500-800 hours. I was a bit let down by the brand new Ref 80S at first. I was not patient enough. I can't prove this but I believe it is not just hours but also how many times it has been cycled on and off that accomplishes complete burn-in. ARC says many hours are needed in the manuals. 

I am sure you know this but the quality of the IC's between your Ref 6 and amps will be crucial. I prefer Cardas Clear Beyond XLR's. Again, ARC emphasizes the quality of the IC's in the manual. 

@fsonicsmith1 Hi. The ARC REF 750 is not brand new. It’s 7 years old so it is burned in. As far as all my ICs.they are Straight Wire Crescendos. Speaker cables are Straight wire Crescendo. Power cords for amps are Shunyata King cobra CX. Preamp 6 is Straight wire Signa HC power cord. Rega ISIS is Straight wire Sigma digital. 👍

@fsonicsmith1 

I have broken in three Audio Research Reference 160s and found they are not fully broken in until 1,000 hours. The pattern is the same on each. I will say that most of the breakin occurs in the first 600 hours and then trails off. But there is a pretty noticeable difference between 600, 800 and 1,000. 

They are beasts. Banks and banks of capacitors though the huge C core trannies need to burn in as well.