Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
@slaw  I have been trying to find Joe Cocker 'With a Little Help From My Friends' for over a year.  All I can find is NM/M- used for $400.  I have searched for a Speakers Corner release and can not find it.  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. 
Starting to compare my copies of Shawn Colvin "Steady On" 33 prm and the Maxi-Single 45 rpm.

Will check speed with my Sutherland Timeline/VPI ADS

I should mention that this 33rpm lp is the most played lp in my collection, so I’m extremely familiar with it.

Even so as I bought a spare copy.
Just listened to "Steady On".

After hearing the 45rpm first, the 33 sounds a little slower and the volume output slightly less.

(I kept the volume the same at 10 o’clock.)

As far as SQ differences, I’d say the 45rpm is more open, whereas the 33 rpm is definitely a warmer sounding lp.

Both are very enjoyable.

This record has been my go-to for years in evaluating system changes. It offers everything minus brass/piano
@reubent,

Your evaluation of Supertramp seemed more dramatic than my experience with Shawn.

I’d recommend some speed evaluating tools. Not to be snide, these tools will be more investment that your tt.

These audible differences are much more noticeable when one moves up the upgrade path.

Steve
Side two of the 45 rpm Shawn is "Steady On" acoustic. Wow! Then "Stranded". Again, slightly more open, not a big deal.

I saw her at a local club, totally acoustic, 25 years ago.
@mammothguy54,

Don’t know what to tell you brother but DON’T pay $400 for that lp! Try ebay?

Register here  www.audiophileusa.com
They are located on the west coast where, IMO, most great lps can be found 

Tony Joe White "Polk Salad Annie"  50th Anniversary/YepRoc/45rpm

This song had a big influence on me in my formative years
I feel fortunate in that I re-discovered Tony Joe White close to his death. I had bought all of his (recent) releases on YepRoc..

"Rain Crow" 2016/YepRoc
My treasured Vibrato is on it's way back to me. Can't thank Louis enough.
@slaw any word when more Vibrato units will be in stock?   I’ve been on his list for many months now.  I second and certainly appreciate your love of TJW.  I heard him as a kid but it didn’t stick but since you’ve turned those of us here on to him again more recently I’m really digging him.  Have you to thank for that brother.

@mammothguy54  

if you’re talking about the OPs of the Joe Cocker album from 1969, there are plenty of copies available on discogs now at reasonable prices.  perhaps you’re not talking about that issue.  is it possible you don’t buy through discogs?

—————————————
Charles Lloyd 
Forest Flower
(At Monterey)
Atlantic/Speakers Corner 1967/2016

“This LP is an entirely analogue production!”

Aren’t Speakers Corner issues great.  I mean, this isn’t the best recording by any means (the piano in particular wasn’t very well miked) but the vinyl is so quiet and sweet.

I watched a video from a supposedly well respected audio gear reviewer this morning and in it he asserted the superiority of digital over vinyl.  He should know better and I found myself feeling like I was quite alone in the world.  His loss. 

J & K: Stonebone

with:

George Benson
Herbie Hancock
Bob James
Ron Carter
Grady Tate
Ross Tompkins

A&M/CTI 1970/2020 RSD

Hype sticker says "The rarest of all CTI albums! First time available since its 1970 Japan-only release. Produced by Creed Taylor. Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder. On red vinyl. Record Store Day April 18, 2020. B0031687-01"

Recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on September 23, 24, 25, 1969

This was scheduled for American release as A&M SP-3027, but it was never issued in the United States.

Somebody else posted this recently too (since I first posted about this).  This is an absolutely fantastic record on many levels.  I love trombone and these guys are great.  George Benson is incredible on this.  And the whole thing rocks.  Great record.

The Christmas Album(VA)-Columbia CG 30763 Side 1&4
The Oak Ridge Boys -Christmas Side 2
Amy Grant-A Christmas Album-Side 1
Carpenters-Christmas Portrait Side 2
Al Martino-A Merry Christmas Side 2
Emmylou Harris-Light Of The Stable Side 2
@slaw that's a phenomenal album. Her first, right? 

Also, did you know Colvin is the background vocals on Suzanne Vegas "Luka"?
Herbie Hancock Trio (1977). I think this is the last of my Black Friday RSD 2020 haul. 
Bill Evans
The Paris Concert
Edition One
Electra Musician/ORG 2013

Jazz Masters Edition 45 RPM
Silver Elektra Musician Label

Recorded by Radio France at l'Espace Cardin in Paris on November 26, 1979

i may have records that reveal more detail but I don’t think I have anything with as much solid presence.  Holographic doesn’t begin to describe it.  It’s more solid.  Like there is weight to the images of instruments and sound.  This doesn’t happen with digital in the same way (far as I know).  Good speakers help.  Maybe 45 playback contributes.  This is great.  I love my stereo.  
@spiritofradio  Yes, I do buy some quality NM/M- from Discogs.  Last I checked I couldn't find any of that level of quality.  I'll check again.  I was just hoping to find a new reissue, from Speakers Corner.  I much prefer new LPs verses used ones.  Though, I have had a few good NM/M- LPs from Discogs that are truly quality pieces.  I'll go back and search again.  Maybe some new postings will surprise me.  That album was influential when I was 16.  I saw Joe Cocker that year and he did the entire album with a tremendous group of backup singers.  What a night!  What a weekend.  Many memories from that festival, including Jimi Hendrix.
Totally WOW!!!!
@mammothguy54, that must have been a great concert.  What a nice memory.

I’m getting so that I like buying new records too.  If I can be honest with myself I realize that I already have plenty of old ones....
@simao ,

I love "Steady On" !!!!! Yeah I knew that she sang on "Solitude Standing" lp.

@spiritofradio,

I suggest you email Louis and ask him about it. Tell him you're interested. IME, he just orders enough materials to make three at a time.
Well, I went back to Discogs and searched for Joe Cocker, "With a Little Help From My Friends.  I found a NM/M- Speakers Corner copy that I bought for $35 plus shipping.  Much better than what I had seen at $400.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Tony Williams "Million dollar Legs"
Chet Atkins "Relaxin' with Chet"
Fleetwood Mac "Fleetwood Mac"
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young "De'ja' vu"

Regards
Man, that Moody Blues album - "On the Threshold of a Dream" is a real stinker. What a load of pretentious crap. It's going into the "to trade" pile. I do really like the song - "Lovely to See You", but every other track is just crap (IMHO).

Moving on the The Moody Blues - "In Search of the Lost Chord" 

@tomic601: Hey Jim, I'm alive, just been deep up in the mountains in Deer Island, Oregon. On a small farm at the end of a little road, no cable/internet (so I brought no computer). TV reception via a dish, water from a well, septic tank no sewer, heat from a wood-burning stove. I brought my Monitor Audio mini-system and a buncha CD's with me, including those you recently gifted me with. Some good stuff man!  

Before I headed for the hills I put in my Black Friday LP orders (15% discount) with Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, and Music Direct, some Amazon and ebay buys, and an 1100-piece order of outer sleeves (at a 20% discount) from Michael at Vinyl Storage Solutions in Canada (Have ya'll discovered him and his sleeves? Michael invented a clever double-pocket sleeve design. My next order will be 800 for my gatefold covers.). I arranged to have my across-the-street neighbor bring in the boxes while I was gone, and now it's like Christmas around here ;-) !

Also waiting for me were the rebuilt bearings for my VPI Aries 1 and HW-19 Mk.3 (with TNT-5 platter) that Harry had his machinist do for me. New bottom spindles and ball bearings, which should last me the rest of my life. I should check the bearing on my Townshend Rock while I'm at it.

I have a few hundred emails waiting to be opened and read. Hope they weren't time-sensitive ;-) . 

Eric - so great for the update , cabin time with tunes - sounds great :-)))) so glad you are well ! Lot’s of toys and new music to get ya they into new year !!!! Best to you from me and a few here who asked about you, notably Steve.
merry Christmas 
Mammoth- you can put albums on wishlist in discogs, but it flogs your inbox 
@tomic601 

Hey Jim, received your card today, a nice surprise, thank you!.....and based on my favorite Hopper painting too ;-) Merry Christmas

Donald Fagan - The Firefly. WB 1982. Need to listen to this album every couple months.
@bkeske The Firefly (Nightfly?) is one of my top 5 favorites. Never get tired of it. 
@big_greg 

@bkeske The Firefly (Nightfly?)

Ah yes, typing too fast, Nightfly, of course.

yep, a great LP.
The Kingston Trio-The Last Month Of The Year Side 2
Christmas Greetings VA- Vol.3(CSP P 11383) Side 1
Tony Bennett-Snowfall Side 2
Alabama-Christmas Side B
The Wonderful World Of Christmas VA-(SM/Capitol SL 8025) Side 1
Frank Sinatra-The Christmas Album Side 2
Hey Record Dudes!

exceptionhere but I believe it to be significant:

Becca Stevens & Elan Mehler
Pallet On Your Floor
Newvelle Records 2020 (Digital)

This boutique label’s first digital album.  Close miked simple voice and piano.  Standards and folk songs.  Exceptional singer (you may know her from work with Esperanza Spaulding, et. al. ). They did these charts in one or two at the most takes.  A rare gem even though it’s digital.  Great presence. 

@tomic601 you might really like this Jim. 
James !!! I have been pondering a subscription to that label because I think everything the do is. High quality digital:-) Fremer likes it, if that counts. Thanks, will order that disc next time I am up North - )