Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
This morning it was Little Feat - The Last Record Album. An underrated release (at least by Allmusic)
Waited all day.....

Feat - Waiting for Columbus- MFSL 2-013 an early mint copy I scored by grace....

who can forget the first time they heard Fat man in the bathtub with the blues ????

the music world forever changed for me

Thanks Paul - RIP
New guy here post #2. Got my forty year old (silver) PL-560 going again and me and the little woman started with MFSL Ziggy Stardust, MFSL Aja, MFSL Fleetwood Mac, Nautilus Dreamboat Annie and lastly MFSL Crime of the Century. That put the fun back into a Sat night!
@mrnaturl2 wow, great software for the ancient but super hardware! Welcome 
Happy Monday morning! Starting off the week with a classic:

Pat Metheny Group - "American Garage"
Talking Heads - Fear of Music - Remastered reissue w RTI pressing, super!!!
Like Spiritofradio I've had a classical weekend with Schubert's Unfinished Symphony. I'm always struck with the quick change of moods in this piece from quiet comforting to menacing and back.  

Spiritofradio you mention that maybe your stereo has spoiled you for the concert hall.  I think it was way back in the 1950s pianist Glen Gould commented that recorded music was better than live performances.  I suspect he meant the performance was better as he spliced sections together of performances he really liked before many studios did, but I often think of the sound stage.  I always sit exactly in the same spot, 12 feet from my speakers, when listening, often in a darkened, quiet room. How can my seat at the concert hall compete with that. It is actually pop music I like live the most. It is more playful, with bands doing the unexpected, deciding to change the key on an old favorite or doing some improvising on the spot that makes live shows a treat too. 

Wayne
Yes @wayneschlapkohl my observation was (mostly) about sq. I’m not qualified to judge really but I believe our Oregon Symphony comprises great musicians and leadership. Seems like they play very well. I’m just almost always disappointed with the sound in their principal venue. The sound coming out of my stereo (even when I’m sitting in the adjacent dining room….) from my turntable is cleaner, clearer, more dynamic (most surprisingly) and more balanced with more distinction between instruments…. I could go on and on.

I don’t know about comparing different performances of the same music or the fundamental talents of different orchestras. The berlin philharmonic seems the most brilliant on the beethoven to me but what do I know. I’m just an old jazz trombone player…..

Caroline Spence - “Mint Condition”

Re more popular and contemporary stuff seen live. I go through phases but still see a lot of live music for an old guy. I’m often one of the handful of older persons, if not the oldest person, in the crowd. I have to overcome my loathing for discourteous crowds but I keep going for the reasons you mention with most articulate description, yes, and maybe also to watch fingers. Saw Son Volt last week and they began their set, as I’ve seen Jay do several times now, with all the songs from his latest record (Union: https://www.discogs.com/Son-Volt-Union/release/13436312) and it’s of course sloppier and noisier than on the record but it’s live baby! It’s real. No substitute.

So, Caroline Spence is coming to my town on a Tuesday night next January on a double bill with some guy I don’t care much about but just bought my ticket. I must go see her perform in person to discover what the real deal is with this huge infatuation I have for her from just listening to her magical voice. She’s got kinda sneaky good talent. Control but not too contrived or dramatic or anything. Depth of genuine character. Just enough country - comes across as authentic. I have nothing but the best plans for our future life together…...

Ahh nice.  Thanks Spiritofradio just typed into youtube Caroline Spence and heard Slow Dancer. I love some of the old folk and probably should see who is playing now. James Keeleghan and Stephen Fearing were favorites from years past. 
@slaw

here you go bro

https://www.discogs.com/The-Highwomen-The-Highwomen/release/14284019

I know you really like the work of at least one of these ladies. And she’s got her husband Jason playing on the record too. Anyway, guess i thought to ask cause its kind of in the same semi-country ballpark as Caroline Spence. Sorta. And its become quite popular.  Interested to know what you’ll think of the record.  
Thanks and well I am pretty ancient, bought those Mofi's about forty years ago!
tomic601
3,024 post
@mrnaturl2 wow, great software for the ancient but super hardware! Welcome

Holy F

just discovered Levi Parham - It’s All Good recorded at Muscle Shoals....  expletive deleted, this is just the bomb

pardon me IF u are already all over this...

ordering copies for local buddies w tables..,,
Spirit love your reference to the imagined future life relationship with Caroline.... kinda Neil Young like... Cortez... dig it....

i May try to elbow my way ahead of you in the line of suitors to her backstage dressing room 

ha