Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1

@tomic601, Levon Helm’s autobiography (co-written with an actual writer. The syntax of the narration does not sound like Levon speaking.) has long been my favorite telling of The Band story. But that telling is from his perspective alone; I believe this new book by Kubernik is the single best account, and that’s from having read only about a third of it. I haven’t read Robbie Robertson’s book, out of respect for and loyalty to Levon. ;-) If you know why I say that, you already know part of what went wrong in The Band.

There is a good documentary about Levon, entitled "Ain't In It For My Health". Lot's of great stuff in it, including Billy Bob Thornton sitting with Levon at the latter's kitchen table, asking him questions. Thornton is a huge Levon Helm fan, and plays drums in his own 4-piece Rock 'n' Roll band. They have a couple of albums out (haven't heard 'em), and tour occasionally.

Yes I am familiar and while tending to side with the Dirt Farmer, think I prefer a more nuanced and balanced view... will look into both books
i did see the documentary, good stuff
BTW for others Amy Helm is the real deal
Buddy Guy "Damn Right I’ve Got The Blues" Silvertone/1991/EU
@tomic601,

Couldn’t agree more. I put "This Too Shall Light" on the "Best music of 2018" thread a while back.
Just completed a large order @ Music Direct, couldn’t help myself.
Linda Ronstadt "Hasten Down the Wind"  WLP

I always thought she was close to her peak here.
Alan Parsons Project - Pyramid
Michael Hedges - Watching My Life Go By (Nice cover of “All Along The Watchtower”)
Casiopea - Eyes Of The Mind
@tomic601 and @slaw, thanks for the reminder about Amy. When Levon toured after his throat surgery and couldn't sing, he brought Amy with him on the road. He brought her out part way through his set at The House Of Blues to sing a bunch of songs. I don't know why I haven't yet picked up her album, but I gotta do that. Other favorite artist's children I should probably give a listen to are those of John Hiatt (his daughter Lilly) and Steve Earle (his son Justin Townes). The fruit doesn't always fall close to the tree (I like Loudon Wainwright III a lot, his son Rufus am ambivalent about), but ya never know! 
This evening so far: 
David Byre, American Utopia
Jon Batiste, Hollywood Africans
Cannonball Adderly, Big Man

Next up:
Oscar Peterson and Harry Edison (picked up today, waiting to listen to it. 
Will wrap the evening wirh Keb’ Mo’s Oklahoma 

@slaw just finished marathon session with many spins of both Heart Like a Wheel and Hasten Down the Wind.... picking one would be a tough call as I adore both. I don’t have power meters, but I am pretty sure I used the full 1.2 kw on a few peaks....

big fun with an old vine Zinn from Lodi, I think she might even appreciate that....
Tori Amos - Under the Pink

a towering work.......I am there on the soundstage with her.......
Alan Parsons "The Turn of a Friendly Card"  Japan

Interestingly, I held this one up to a light and it is somewhat transparent. I've never noticed this before except on early MFSLs.
Before turning in last night;

Double Vision - Foreigner 
An original release version. Was packed in a box for nearly 20 years. Sounds as good as the day I first played it. For me, time is captured in the music I was listening to at that time. 
Got these in yesterday:
Dr. John  "Gris-gris"  SC
J Geils Band  "The Morning After"  MFSL
Peter Frampton Band  "All Blues"
Eels "Daisies of the Galaxy"  OP...one of his more upbeat/approachable records.
@slaw .

I likely have you to thank for my altered record purchasing practices.
Sure I will still bargain bin dive at my LRS but when looking for something specific I have modified my criteria.

Now I look see if there was a MoFi or D2D or half speed master version first and go for that if possible.

I CAN hear the difference on my rig for sure.
Costs more but ultimately worth it!
Thank you for questioning my record purchasing actions in the past.
@uberwaltz,

Actually, I noticed that my friend, but was not sure about saying anything. I think maybe @reubent may be thinking about it as well. Of coarse it's not always the case. After you are into it for a while, you kind of get a feeling, based upon experience and listening and logic, which lps you may benefit from audiophile re-masters if they are from original master tapes and so on. 

I really appreciate your post brother!

Up next ...J Geils Band "The Morning After" MFSL...just released!
Just returned from a check on Mom... one is never off duty, even on vacation.............
Defenders of the Faith.... Judas Priest.
Original UK first pressing, looks and sounds like it has never been played.
Well, the "The Morning After" J Geils Band lp above had to be flattened so what better in the mean time than another J Geils lp Their "S/T" on Speakers Corner!
Looking forward to hearing Peter Frampton Band. Saw his interview on Sunday Morning a few weeks ago. I forget the physical issue he has/ having but in any case, he’s trying to play/put out as much music now before he’s unable to do so. He really is/was a great figure in rock, and seemingly an overall nice guy.
Featuring:Rob Arthur, Adam Lester, Dan Wojciechowski.
@slaw 
I have to ask as you seem to have to flatten a lot of vinyl.
Are they to the point of being unplayable or just unacceptable to your high standards?

Out of all my collection I probably only had 5 albums that I deemed unplayable due to warpage.
This is when I then invented the FF ( Florida Flattener).

I already had an old table that I just used to clean vinyl on the platter and had a light bulb moment.

What if I placed a warped record on said platter and then placed  another inverted platter on top and place out in the Florida sun on gas mark 6 for a couple hours.

I have to say it worked a treat, after all just heat and pressure right?
@uberwaltz,

I do have high standards. Also, I want to hear, as close as possible, my set-up. This requires a flat record. Since I report on what I’m listening to, I feel like I need to relay to others my best judgement.

An additional comment...I’ve listened quite a lot with/without clamps, different weights and such. I never bought a peripheral ring out of fear I’d screw up a cantilever. Having said that, I like the sound of records on my mat/s, then with my Stillpoints LP-1. A clamp connects to the bearing, which in my mind, we are all trying to get away from? So having a flat lp is critical to the sound I think is best.

What is "gas mark 6"?
It's an English thing.
It's a heat setting on a stove, we never used degrees f settings like you have here on electric stoves.
It was nearly all natural gas in England.

I guess it's more an "in" joke that maybe only I get ... Lol
An additional comment on unflat records.... out of all the records I buy, they mostly come in with some sort of warp or dish. I have years of experience with the Vinyl Flat. I now own the ORB. What I’ve concluded is it’s very important for the ramp up and down of the heat to be uniform and controlled. Out in the sun or in an oven, IMO, doesn’t meet this standard.
I would agree entirely Slaw.
But as a freebie quick fix I am happy enough.
Of course if I end up getting more warped records as i buy I would have to reconsider the approach.
@slaw I saw Frampton not too long ago at a smallish local venue and he put on a great show, was very witty and down to earth.  I wasn't sure from your post if you were going to go see him or looking forward to listening to some vinyl.
@big_greg,

I was anticipating listening to his latest lp on my system. I have to say, even though both lps needed flattening, I highly recommend this record! Thoroughly enjoyable and SQ is 10!

This latest tour Will be his last.
Dire Straits "Alchemy" Vertigo/EU
@uberwaltz,

If you ever decide to go for a flattener, PM me and I'll be glad to help you as much as I can.