Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Steely Dan  - Aja  - recent MFSL pickup and it sounded better than anticipated- VG
REM  - Murmur (side 1) - MFSL  - experimenting with VPI 16.5 and US cleaning testing  - VG+
Rolling Stones  - Tattoo You - early pressing  -  - EX+ - got this one dead quiet -  Mint 
Springsteen  - Nebraska  - EX,  SQ EX+
Neil Young  - Live Rust - EX 
White Stripes  - Elephant - EX 
Elliot Smith  - Either/Or  - EX+

Well @slaw, I’ve been wondering what the source is that Bear family is using for the LP pressing. Those two Buddy albums were on Hightone Records, which is out-of-business. So from where did BF get the recordings? If the LP’s were made from non-hirez digital files I’m not so sure I need them, ya know? Especially at over thirty bucks each!

Speaking of Hightone Records, that was a great label owned and run by Bruce Bromberg. They had an incredible artist roster (in addition to Buddy and Julie Miller, there were Robert Cray, Tom Russell, Rosie Flores, Chris Smither, Dave Alvin, The Blasters, Kim Wilson, Joe Ely, Bill Kirchen, buncha others), so I met with Bruce on a trip of his to Los Angeles, to give him a copy of the recordings I had participated in making in Atlanta with Evan Johns. Evan had done three albums for Rykodisc, and had developed quite an underground following. Bruce passed on the Johns’ album! Perhaps if he had released it Hightone would still be in business ;-) .

Rolling Stones - Black and Blue  - VG+
Lyle Lovett  - Large Band  - EX+ - Phenomenal 
Elton  John  - Capt Fantastic  - Good 

@bdp24 ,

That lp was one I picked up recently (fairly recently/within the last year) because of your posts. I may have (just lucked up)?

I credit you as the one who turned me on to Buddy & Julie Miller
Liz Phair "Whip-Smart"

I don't mean to be a smart-ass...the ORB record flattener is a great addition to my listening regimen.
@bdp24 ,

I don't think I paid anywhere near $30.00 for that Buddy Miller lp. However, I wonder.... Maybe it's just me but when I think of the cost of a live show (which is a one time deal), the drive there and back, probably a meal, drink....and weigh that against a nice lp that I can listen to anytime I choose, I don't find $30.00 overly priced in that context.
Rod Stewart "Every Picture Tells a Story"  MFSL/Silver Label

One of my very first lps I ever bought...……...
Good point @slaw. My balk at paying over thirty bucks for an LP is in relation to the difference in sound between the LP and it's ten buck CD equivalent, which I already own. If the LP is pressed from a mediocre source (non-hirez), what's the point? I like the sound Buddy gets (he engineers in his own home studio), it's unique and kinda "funky". But audiophile it's not!
@bdp24 ,

Could you tell us what a standard contract between the record label vs. artist entails and what the artist cut is?
In a little while, I hope to play:

Adelle "Skyfall" 7"/45rpm
Walter Egan "Magnet & Steel" 7"/45rpm
@bdp24 ,

You know I love you, but the Buddy Miller lps I own sound VERY good.!

The definition of "audiophile recording" is subjective, however, I don't feel the need to defend the SQ of the BM lps I own. I think they stand up to 95% of the lps coming out now.
Jimi Hendrix  - UHQR  - Stereo  - this record is so jaw droppingly great it is kinda frightening 
Jeff Beck  - Blow by Blow  - promo pressing  - it is better after a 3 step cleaning but still rough,  but the SQ of this record is awesome. One of the best drum records ever 
Eagles - Hotel California  - early pressing  - I am not really a big Eagles fan but I picked this one up as part of a collection that had lots of original and early pressings and I am working on my cleaning technique so I worked to see how quiet I could get this copy. SQ is actually pretty good 
Eagles- S/T  - Early  pressing  - got this one almost mint  - SQ EX
@slaw 

"Every Picture Tells A Story" Rod Stewart first ever LP purchase? Fine music but it is a reminder for me how much older I am than most of you. My first LP was either "Greenback Dollar" Hoyt Axton or "Turn, Turn, Turn" Byrds. Not sure though I usually say the Byrds album.

"What Does Anything Mean? Basically" The Chameleons

@6t5-gto, yes, please do give us the details, results and findings of your record cleaning study and efforts.  Steaming? Vacuuming? And which US system you prefer.  I’m looking into this too.  Thanks.  

man, I skip a few days and yall been busy..

Pete - White City a Novel arrived, man it all comes back to me.....great writing, tight songs, well recorded..just so nice for $2...@#$& I love Discogs on a good day

was it @big-greg that got us started down that path - thanks !
 @bdp24 got me heavy back into Chris Hillman, so Slippin’ Away arrived today, $2.50 mint and freaking awesome 
spinning now... ARS - Rock n Roll Alternative....

Georgia Rhythm has me wanting another hundred watts.....
@slaw I have the above mentioned Buddy coming my way...thanks for the heads up.....LOVE Julie.....

@noromance and I also have the LiL Charlie and the Nighcats headed this way....

yes the Postman and my wife all blame......YOU and the other posters on this thread...
@slaw haven't picked up the steamer yet, it is my next purchase. 
Picked up a VPI 16.5 for a first round and final after US.

Bill Evans Trio  - Portrait in Jazz - Mofi One Step  - showed up today  - phenomenal. 
Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard  - AP 45rpm 200g set  - outstanding. The trio is playing my living room. 
Another run through the Hendrix UHQR. Holy schittsticks! May be the best sounding vinyl I own 

@slaw, Oh, I didn’t mean that Buddy Miller albums don’t sound "good"; they have a great deal of "in-the-room presence" and "aliveness". But Buddy isn’t adverse to using a great deal of compression, particularly on drums. I actually ask the engineers on my recording dates to use compression on the overhead mics; it gives a very percussive "click" to the sound of ride cymbals, a sound I love. Buddy also sometimes uses extreme equalization to achieve a "period" sound (to make a song sound like it was recorded in the 50’s or 60’s). In other words, he’s not a purist/audiophile recording engineer, which is fine with me!

I have everything available from both Buddy and Julie Miller, in every format---except the two Buddy Miller Hightone albums now available on Bear Family LP’s. I’m willing to pay $30 for them, but I would like to know the provenance of the source material BF used to make them.

By the way, before Julie started recording with Buddy, she was a solo artist in the Christian Music field. I also have her album from back then, on CD. Their new album (due next month) is of all Julie-written songs. Buddy himself doesn’t do much writing, but nonetheless finds great material to record. His version of Tom T. Hall’s "That’s How I Got To Memphis" is absolutely magnificent!

@slaw I am sure Erics perspective valuable on the deal. I found David Byrnes book How Music Works to be fascinating insight on where the $$$$ is, or not

he use actual numbers from work he has done..performing, writing, producing..fascinating 

my lovely, who tolerates me and I also help sponsor a recording artist / production studio, so some insight there....streaming has vastly altered things....but there is hope...
Bonnie Raitt - Glow

another near mint $2 wonder..ya man

i prefer her gritter work, but this is great sneaking up on a Pacific Sunset covering a Jackson B song.....
That Tom Petty "Masterphile" recording turned out to be a bit of a bust.  At first it seemed really detailed, but after listening a bit it just seemed a bit bright and tipped up.  I played the old standard pressing I had and it had a lot more bass and midrange presence and sounded much better overall.  But hey, if there's any saving grace, it seems to be a somewhat rare collectible item.  

Listening to Miles this morning - Kind of Blue.
@big_greg,

I have the TP MCA Masterphile "Hard Promises"...I think I did a comparison a while back to the box set, but I can't remember my thoughts on it now.
...…...……….....................…..
Pink Floyd "Wish you Were Here"  2016 re-master
Steve Phillips "Steel Rail Blues"
@tomic601 Good to know! Make sure you get the originals on discogs etc. rather than remastered copies.
The Turn of a Friendly Card ... The Alan Parsons Project.

First of the bunch I bought from a booth in an antiques mall while working in Wisconsin last week.

All between $4 and $8 and in excellent shape.
@reubent ,

Alan Parsons lps are always great sounding and a safe bet used. He was a go-to of mine in my high school days.
………............……...…...….
Donny Hathaway "Live" Germany/re-issue/1972 but has that cursed bar code......Damn-it!
I just retrieved my Sides 3&4 of Joy Division from the ORB. it is now perfectly flat to my eyes.....