WAITAMINIT! Center stage disappeared with a Modwright KWA 150SE and Daedalus Athena V.2?!

The Madness! My Plinius SA201 presented a big beautiful well imaged stage with the Daedalus Athena V.2. It was shipped and sold. 4 days later, the Modwright KWA 150SE reco'ed by Lou Hinkey took it's place and the center stage is nowhere to be found! I've rotated cables and repositioned the speaker 6 inches back and forth and toed them in with no change. I haven't rolled in new tubes in my preamp or DAC yet...It partially refocused for a moment but now is gone, baby, gone.

Anyone out there have experience with this? I imagine it's solvable....

Help a man out, brothers and sister.

Pre: Supratek Syrah, DAC: AMR DP777SE

budburma

Check your connection it sounds like you maybe wired your speakers out of phase that will destroy your soundstage.

If you've wired it up correctly, it is possible for reversal of wires to speaker terminals to have taken place inside the amp, especially if you were just having work done on it.

The Stereophile test disc 1 is useful for testing phase.

Don't know about your unit, but my LS100 MW preamp had the phase inverted by design. Reverse polarity on speaker cables as suggested. 

Good morning. You were all right! Thank you so much, I appreciate your help.

My Modwright is an older model without the high/low pass switch and has the L and R terminals oriented in the same direction rather than mirrored like the more recent ones.  I put my cables on by feel and, without a manual available, was using one the on-line version which had the mirrored arrangement. So, the polarity was reversed on the left side.

Anyway, blessings and thank you's - enjoy the tunes and the long weekend!

@big_greg "Don’t know about your unit, but my LS100 MW preamp had the phase inverted by design. Reverse polarity on speaker cables as suggested."

I have the same preamp and was never told this.

@budburma -

Aside from the LS100 I also have the KWA100SE, the speaker posts clearly indicate with red and black the connections not sure why the KWA150SE would be any different. Both units were purchased in 2011

Lesson 2? Never sell equipment until new equipment is in place and tested. 😊

@facten From the LS100 manual:

"Design is phase inverting and this may be addressed by reversing polarity at both speaker cables, either at amp(s) or speakers."

@ibmjunkman would that I could! glad you have the funds for that! happily, it was only a minor adjustment. 

@big_greg more to come, but really fabulous - my system is at a level i've not heard, am not used to and am extremely happy with! the speakers, amp and cabling have all been upgrades by some significant steps. the modwright is more present, open and involving with equal and equally tuneful bass. the plinius was a bit too warm and a little subdued for the already relaxed daedalus character. lou was kind to recommend and, at first blush, right as rain....

Guys, 

I just got my Don Sachs model 2 back with some upgrades and didn't realize it inverted phase as well.  I read this thread and reversed the speaker cables.  Leon Redbone is back in the room.  Thank you for posting!

@big_greg "

"Design is phase inverting and this may be addressed by reversing polarity at both speaker cables, either at amp(s) or speakers."

Thanks, guess I passed right over it. I haven’t had the issue originally noted with the LS100 coupled with the KWA100SE and Daedalus Argos V2s.

@budburma I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your system now.  Modwright makes good stuff.  I really enjoyed my LS100 preamp and had to make a significant jump to better it.

@facten I would think having one speaker out of phase with the other would be much more noticeable than having them both out of phase.

No soundstage problems here, don't know what to tell you

I don't think anyone said you did, or that you should for that matter.  I was trying to help the OP, not throwing shade on you or your system.

Wellllll - the left was out of phase and now back in and the sound is sublime. HUGE well imaged and layered stage. Daedalus Athena/Modwright KWA150SE/Supratek Syrah stitched together with Dynamic Design cabling - the TBK Nebula IC's and SC's are jaw-droppingly good...

Ohmystarsandgarters                                                                                              My current system sounds head and shoulders better than anything I've ever had. .

I thought the same with my new Luxma. The rear speaker jacks were laid out differently than my previous FirstWatt. I had one speaker wired backwards.