Preamp suggestion for Coincedent M300B Frankenstein mk2

I have a Constellation Inspiration Preamp + Stereo Amp for my Mino-D speakers.

I’ve decided to investigate the “tube” sound so I started with the Coincedent 300B Frankenstein MkII amplifier which I planned to attach to my Constellation (SS) preamp.  The 300B will drive my 100db Volti Rival.   

Am I going in the right direction or should I use a different preamp?  If different, any suggestions?  I’m also a confused if choosing a tube preamp with a tube amp may be too much of tube sound?

kennyc

Coincident Statement linestage is perfect match for the Frankenstein's, certainly not tubey sounding, far more about transparency, resolution. But then it delivers on the things tubes, especially DHT does best, harmonic development, immediacy, micro dynamics, all the things that make it seem as if performers in room.

I have modified MkII version, I can only think of one pre I'd consider as contender or replacement, the Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature DHT.

The Coincident line seems so under appreciated IMO what with it's direct sales model. This pre would sell for far more with different business model, the power supply of Statement is simply massive for a pre and the build quality is beyond reproach.

I am a Frankenstein owner. I had the Coincident Statement Line Stage and currently use Horneshoppe The Truth T3. Both are superb with the Frankensteins. The Truth T3 is a no gain unit and works best with source components with output voltage of 1.8 volts or greater, which is the vast majority of components. There is a T4 version that provides gain if needed. The Truth has remote control and balance control, the CSLS does not.

Arthur Salvatore did comprehensive reviews of the CSLS and The Truth which may be of assistance:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Linestages.html#ClA

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Statement.html

@kennyc

I agree 100% with @sns and his description of the Coincident Statement line stage (CSL). As he noted, very transparent sound presentation but is in no way analytical or clinical, just open and pure sounding. The 101D tubes preserve the tonal and timbre fullness/vividness of instruments and voice, admirably natural sounding.. I have had the CSL and Frankenstein pairing for 13 years. I appreciate them even more as time has passed. If is now in MK II generation and probably better than my original MK I version.

You did not mention a price range. Potential negatives perhaps (No issue for me)

1. No remote control

2. Two chassis design with large seperate power supply

3. Only 2 inputs

4. Dual volume controls

5. Only sold direct from Coincident.

Positives, superb sound quality

Utterly reliable and very rugged and solid construction external and internal.

A splendid sibling match with the excellent Frankenstein 300b SET mono blocks.

Charles

If there is a better option than than my Constellation SS preamp, budget is $4-5k usd new or used.  

Define what “better” means in your world.  Without that critical info this is just a fantasy exercise. 

Better means strictly better sonic performance rather than features, a clear sonic uptick that’s obviously notable. If it’s slight barely able to tell better then it’s not worth the change. I’m mainly checking if my Constellation SS preamp is a good choice or it there a better choice within my budget.

FYI- per Coincedent the upgrade from Frankenstein mk2 to mk4 is $1.5k

FYI- per Coincedent the upgrade from Frankenstein mk2 to mk4 is $1.5

I believe that you'll be very pleased with the Frankensteins driving your Volti speakers.

Charles

I've heard the Volti Rivals several times and love them they will sound sublime with those Frankensteins I'm sure.

@kennyc

When do you expect to receive the Frankensteins and Volti speakers? I can imagine that your current Constellation preamplifier should pair very well with the Frankensteins. They are both quite high quality audio components. Some transistor components can potentially present a “dry” sonic character. I have no idea if this would apply to the Constellation at all.

Charles

Better means strictly better sonic performance rather than features, a clear sonic uptick that’s obviously notable. If it’s slight barely able to tell better then it’s not worth the change. I’m mainly checking if my Constellation SS preamp is a good choice or it there a better choice within my budget.

Peace out.  Good luck with this.

I'm feeling the pull of obtaining the Coincident Statement line stage...there goes my budget...what else is new.  I'm also find their Coincident Statement Phono Preamplifier appealing.

I'm feeling the pull of obtaining the Coincident Statement line stage

I don’t believe that this is a decision you’d subsequently regret. If the objective is superb sound quality this is unquestionably one way to achieve it.

Charles

You won't be disappointed! Going from MkI to MkII with extra upgrade of Amtrans rotary selectors was so worthwhile!

DHT pre's really special, natural synergy with SET amps, all the wonderful aspects of these circuits and tubes are holistic with DHT in both pre and amps. My take is why diminish those special aspects with different topology in pre.

DHT pre’s really special, natural synergy with SET amps, all the wonderful aspects of these circuits and tubes are holistic with DHT in both pre and amps. My take is why diminish those special aspects with different topology in pre

Well said, and why I have had this arrangement for 13 years! I’ll admit however that I have no idea how good the Constellation preamplifier sounds with the Coincident Frankensteins. Given Constellation’s esteem reputation, I have to assume it is quite good. I can only attest to the excellence of the Coincident Statement Line stage.

Charles

Very interesting, didn't know there was a MkIII version! Israel also changed heater resistor values from .22uf to .33uf in latest versions of Statement. This change made to insure greater reliability, life from the few quality 101D tubes available today. Present production 101D tubes are somewhat fragile, this should help.

For those with Statement really only two present production 101D  top notch, those being Psvane WE and Linalai Elite Solid plate, the mesh plate version had some mid range glare in my setup. All other present production 101D not in same league with transparency, resolution. I may try NOS Western Electric at some point, one needs adapter for these, original 101 used four short equal size pins, new 101 longer pins and two larger diameter.

@sns 

I had given thought 6 or 7 years ago to getting an adapter and trying vintage Western Electric 101Ds. They were/are relatively rare and expensive. I was very happy with the Psvane W.E. Replica 101D and decided to stay put. If you do go that route let me know what you hear.

Charles

@charles1dad I was prepared to go route of NOS WE at point I was having issues with 101D reliability. I had experienced failures of recently purchased Psvane WE and Linlai Elite, one WE and one Elite failed at about 75 hours in Statement, and two DOA failures of each type purchased direct from Chinese sellers. One of my Linali Elite failures (75 hour failures) was Grant Fidelity purchase so easy warranty coverage.

So, while Grant Fidelity purchase was warrantied, I received refund rather than replacement. One may ask why refund rather than replacement? This due to poor quality/excessive failures of Linlai Elite. I was told production has temporarily ceased while Linlai gets 101 quality under control, Rachel not selling these at the moment. Israel also mentioned to me poorer quality of Chinese 101D tubes since pandemic. This due directly to pandemic, or is it change in operations of both Psvane and Linlai since founders of Linlai left Psvane?

Anyway, thought I should mention my recent experiences with 101 tubes in this thread. I should also mention since I changed out heater resistors to .33uf 1/% tolerance not a single peep of noise from my Linlai's that were previously noisy with .22uf 5% tolerance resistors. Recall, newer production Statements all use .33uf, insuring durability of 101 reason for this change.

Charles, on side note, don't want to hijack thread,but I believe you've been using Duelund Cast PIO in some of your components to good effect. Recently went from Audyn True Copper Max and Miflex KPCU  to Duelund Cast tinned copper in custom build 300B's. Wow, Cast relegates all other audiophile film caps I've tried to distant second place!

Recently went from Audyn True Copper Max and Miflex KPCU  to Duelund Cast tinned copper in custom build 300B's. Wow, Cast relegates all other audiophile film caps I've tried to distant second place!

Yes, thanks to good advice from grannyring years ago who suggested them for my Coincident speaker crossover and my DAC. The Duelund CAST Cu foil capacitors have been superb for me. Expensive capacitors and worth every cent. I’m not surprised by your terrific results.

Charles

@kennyc I have owned the coincident Frankensteins, coincident Dragons, coincident line stage and coincident phono stage.

I didn't care much for the coincident phono as a preamp, it sounds sterile like a passive preamp or like going dac-direct. Sound loses body.

The coincident line stage was better, but I did not like it as much either. I tried it with the stock tubes. It was not that much better than the coincident phono. Later after I sold it I was told that it sounds better if you replace the stock tubes with the psvane alternative.

The best preamp I liked with the Frankenstein 300b was the Shindo Monbrison. It's probably the best sound I have had in my system till date, I was dumb to have sold the Monbrison when I moved across the pond (I should have rewired to 230V, in hindsight).

You can get a used Monbrison for $6000, if you look hard enough, and bonus, it comes with a world class built in phono.

Just my two cents and my experience. Cheers and good luck.

After 5 years of intensive research, I’ve nearly completed my first bucket list analog+digital audio chains emphasizing linearity and neutrality hoping to land somewhere mid-fi - Constellation Inspiration Pre+Stereo electronics to a Magico A5.

In addition, I subsequently want to explore quality “tube” sound and it seems that the 300B amp is maybe one of the best tube sounds. So I’m targeting the Volti Rival 100db speakers (seems relatively uncolored vs other efficient speakers) and am considering the following 300B amps:
1.5 ELEKIT TU-8600S kit
2.5 Line Magnetic LM-210 IA 300B
4.0 STEREO TUBE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD CLASS A 300B
6.0 Woo Audio WA5 300b
6.5 Coincident M300B Frankenstein MK III
and plan to hook it up to my Constellation Inspiration Pre.

Statement pre not near it's potential with stock 101D tubes, no color, low level of transparency, resolution, I'd not think much of it in that configuration. An analog to it would be like comparing run of the mill Shuguang 300B vs any of the top flight 300B tubes in 300B amp, you'd not have really heard your 300B amp with the Shuguang.

Any component running tubes can only be properly considered in the context of running top flight tubes in it, anything less cannot be considered a full accounting.

@sns

Statement pre not near it’s potential with stock 101D tubes, no color, low level of transparency, resolution, I’d not think much of it in that configuration. An analog to it would be like comparing run of the mill Shuguang 300B vs any of the top flight 300B tubes in 300B amp, you’d not have really heard your 300B amp with the Shuguang.

Much in agreement , although my impression with the budget priced stock 101D isn’t quite as harsh. I am sure a decision made in an effort to keep cost of the Line Stage very reasonable. With stock 101Ds it’s still a very good sounding/performing component.

However the full sonic brilliance is hampered by the lesser quality tubes. Replacing them with the upper tier 101D completely erases the bottleneck and allows the Statement to absolutely shine unhindered. The 300b analogy by @sns is on the mark. I’d say 80% potential versus full 100% sound quality. In both cases (Line Stage and amplifiers) it makes no sense to have excellent components limited by inferior/average tubes. They deserve the top quality alternatives.

I can easily believe that the Coincident Frankensteins paired beautifully with the Shindo preamplifier. Why not? Two wonderful components. Before I decided to purchase a new Statement Line Stage, I’d given serious consideration to purchase a used Shindo Masseto (Thanks to the late Art Dudley’s enthusiasm) preamplifier (with its unique Telefuken pentode circuit). I have absolutely no doubt I would have loved this matched to my Frankenstein 300b mono blocks.

There is always more than one path to superb sound quality. I truly believe that the Masseto would have been one. In the end I was just drawn to the use of the DHT 101D in a minimalist circuit utilizing interstage and volume control transformers. In essence DHT feeding DHT 300b SET amplifier. The results have been sublime for me. The best quality 101D are a necessity. One of the very best audio decisions I have made.

Charles

In many other tube pre's changing out tubes may not have as great effect as 101 in Statement. Statement tube is analogous to power tube in amp, being only tube in circuit it has large effect on sound quality, especially the more transparent, resolving one's system is. With Statement I've easily heard the differences between MkI and II, addition of Amtrans rotary selector, Audio Note vs. Nichicon electrolytics, Takman carbon film vs metal oxide resistors, and Shuguang and Psvane stock tubes, Psvane WE, Linlai Elite Mesh and Solid plate tubes. Not to speak of power cords, fuses, power conditioners.

Post removed