Preamp suggestion for Coincedent M300B Frankenstein mk2

I have a Constellation Inspiration Preamp + Stereo Amp for my Mino-D speakers.

I’ve decided to investigate the “tube” sound so I started with the Coincedent 300B Frankenstein MkII amplifier which I planned to attach to my Constellation (SS) preamp.  The 300B will drive my 100db Volti Rival.   

Am I going in the right direction or should I use a different preamp?  If different, any suggestions?  I’m also a confused if choosing a tube preamp with a tube amp may be too much of tube sound?

kennyc

Showing 1 response by essrand

@kennyc I have owned the coincident Frankensteins, coincident Dragons, coincident line stage and coincident phono stage.

I didn't care much for the coincident phono as a preamp, it sounds sterile like a passive preamp or like going dac-direct. Sound loses body.

The coincident line stage was better, but I did not like it as much either. I tried it with the stock tubes. It was not that much better than the coincident phono. Later after I sold it I was told that it sounds better if you replace the stock tubes with the psvane alternative.

The best preamp I liked with the Frankenstein 300b was the Shindo Monbrison. It's probably the best sound I have had in my system till date, I was dumb to have sold the Monbrison when I moved across the pond (I should have rewired to 230V, in hindsight).

You can get a used Monbrison for $6000, if you look hard enough, and bonus, it comes with a world class built in phono.

Just my two cents and my experience. Cheers and good luck.