Policy changes at The Music Room TMR Audio

TMR has made a few changes to their policies which may interest folks.

Warranties for used gear is now 90 rather than 45 days.

Trial period is now 30 rather than 14 days.

There is now a restocking fee of 5%. Their rationale for this makes sense and seems reasonable. It would be nice if there could be exceptions to the restocking fee, such as cables and other products which don't need extensive checking for quality control. One result of this policy is that there is some more costly gear I would have tried but now am reluctant. I suppose that’s just a personal admission. 

128x128hilde45

I would be more tempted to try something at TMR that maybe I wouldn't have before.   5% is nothing.   Anyone bitching about that needs a new hobby

They are absolutely loosing money with a 5% restock fee, the new policy is more than fair.  I would argue that it is too low.  

It is hard enough for any business to keep the lights on these days, especially ones that are SUPER stock heavy.  Remember it literally costs them money to have a piece of equipment in stock (carrying cost), and more money to let someone try it out for 30 days (opportunity cost), and more money to run your credit card - both in paying the CC fees and in paying the employee to run the card, box and pack the items, accept the items back in to stock, re-list them on the website.  Not to mention the actual purchase of the packing materials, and the monthly costs associated with the physical space to store these items.  They are absolutely loosing money with just a 5% return fee.  

Does anyone really have to explain why a business supporting a location and the staff, customer service, etc. that goes along with it has higher prices on used items than your neighbor? 

That said - I do see their used prices start high market, and gradually come down over time, seems reasonable to me.  I have also gotten a couple low trade in quotes from them and decided not to go that route - although I have done fine with their consignment end.  The convenience was well worth it on a few things. 

Just my 2, Be well!

The one transaction I had with them, was a good experience.  I traded in my N-100 for  a new N-200, I was offered a fair trade in, the N-200 was in the range I was hopping  to be in, so I grabbed the deal. As far as the restocking fee, it seems reasonable and fair.

They have to stay in business, and I’m sure perhaps some individuals were taking advantage of returning equipment. I’ve purchased from them before and they are a reputable company. Sounds very reasonable. 

Have said this before, TMR & Holt Hill Audio are my go to shops. It's pretty great when the owners list their cel phones as the company contacts. Can't get more personalized than that. TMR appears to have a wider selection of hi-end gear but HHA has incredible vintage speakers & compnents. I don't know where they source them but most everything on their website is beautiful. Last year I purchased an Innous, Zen from TMR - as always, easy transaction all around and this spring I purchased a spotless Sansui, AU-9500 for my summer place from Holt Hill, came in three days from purchase, as described & looked like it was storred for 45yrs. Just my experience but so far, I believe you cant go wrong with either of these options. There are however posers out there (no negatve energy here and wont list anyone in particular) so take your time, do your research and pick the right spot to give your business to.