Peachtree Gan 400

after 2 +  years of owning this amp - this class d amp still shines on - very smooth (in a good way) - listen to music for hours (literally) - sounds right - i keep coming back to it - i want my ab amp and class a amp and my tube amp to sound as good and sometimes i think they do - and i can make a strong case for them

the ab amp is a little fatiguing after a while - the tube amp is like owning a car that needs to go in the shop every other week

it sounds good for stretches - then it needs work - sounds good - then want to upgrade tubes - the class a amp i think is sounding great sometimes - but alas my class D amp sounds good most of the time 

the class d amp keeps chugging along - sounding wonderful all of the time - in a time where class d is not trending like it was 2 years ago - the peachtree is so underrated. 

128x128smargo

Right on.  Even my experience with my PS Audio S300 Ice Power modules sounded really good for the $. 

There is newer class D technologies evolving 

the only GAN mosfet ever made for audio was developed by INT Rectifier

for a customer but then scrapped the order Alberto Guerra of AGD Audio bought up 

the stock being a very well versed engineer ,and consulting with other experts in the field to now made the Best ClAss D Amplifier currently made.

@audioman58 I owned the AGD audion and ran with benchmark LA4 preamp for two years. Never needed anything more then I got to hear the orchard audio starkrimsom monoblocks and I sold my AGD immediately. Just saying AGD I don't think may be he best GAN amp in their price range (atlesst the Audions) in my experience. I also have owned the GAN400 and thinks he Carina GAN betters it in SQby a lot. Both are fine amps.

Personally I only like the non tube $11500 mono blocks they are much better but the other brand Starkrimsom are excellent ,they have a SE mono block around $4k 

that looks to be very special only 33 pairs made he said , I never heard them in depth yet but plan to . I wish he would up his warranty to 3 years vs 1 

That too would give much more confidence in the product.

@smargo What speakers and pre do you run?

I’m using the Peachtree Nova300 with Sonus Faber Sonetto V’s. I would say the pairing works really well.

I tried some Orchard Audio GaN mono blocks recently, and they sounded wimpy compared to the Peachtree. Wimpy is also how I’d describe some of the NAD gear I’ve heard paired with Sonetto’s.

I’m considering bi-amping the Sonetto’s maybe with some tubes on the top, but I may also consider trading in the Nova300 for a newer model.

@maverick2108 Interesting to hear you like the Carina GaN more than GaN400. I'll keep that in mind. I haven't heard either yet. 

I am surprised at your experience with the Orchard comparing so favorably against the AGD Audions. I haven't heard the AGD in my system yet, but I've heard them on a buddy's system I know well, and they sounded great. My experience with both brands is limited though--haven't owned or spent significant time with either. 

@classdstreamer i also have experience with one more class D amp but it’s pretty expensive. Java hifi single shot integrated. Rumor is that they use AGD modules for power and have a LDR preamp module which sounds amazing. In any case, my audions lost steam powering barbets 40.3s and magic S3 vs orchard audio which did pretty good.

I owned this amp 2x and it was very good for the price I paid ($1000). It had a tiny bit of fatigue with my very neutral preamp, but with a warmer preamp it would be rather impressive.

@yyzsantabarbara I like the orchard audio monoblocks with both a Schiit Freya+ with some NOS brimar 6sn7 tubes and also the benchmark LA4 preamp.

I tried some Orchard Audio GaN mono blocks recently, and they sounded wimpy compared to the Peachtree.

“Wimpy” is how I’d describe the sound of the GaN 400 relative to nearly every class AB amplifier I’ve owned. The bass extension and control was an absolute joke compared to my 100 WPC Yamaha 2100. 

The GaN 400 does put out a lot of power into simulated loads, but in practice I found it sounded similar to the drive capability of a 40 WPC class AB amp. Its noise level was also quite dismal for a modern class D design. My Parasound A21 puts out less power into 8 ohms on paper, but in reality it sounds many times stronger and more effortless than the Peachtree.

helomech - i totally 100% disagree with you. the gan 400 is one of the most un wimpy amps that ive heard - i know it sounds crazy - but i have been playing the gan for the better part of a month now continuous (ive owned the amp for at least 2 years and thought the same thing as helomech). the more it gets played the better and better and better and better - it almost has to break in like a class ab amp. Who would of thunk?

its clear - dynamic - ballsy - true to express the exact notes - the way they were intended. sounds like music . not the glare you hear after 2 hours of listening with a class ab amp.