New TT for ~$1500

My birthday is coming up and I will be asking for a *new* TT. Budget is up to $1500, but preferably closer to $1k. I would be comfortable pitching in another few hundred $$$ for a good cartridge if I get a table without one. Was thinking:
Rega P3, maybe P6 if I really stretch the budget (that'd be over my $1500 mark)

MoFi StudioDeck
Clearaudio Concept (I have a lead on a lightly used one with low hours, bundled with an Artist V2 cart, but might make gift giving awk)

Pro-Ject X2 w/ Sumiko Moonstone

Any thoughts?

tas236
@tas234

Hey all, OP here. I appreciate all of your responses and youve given me a lot to think about. I was initially set on a 1210GR after your responses here and elsewhere. With a Hana SL that is closer to an endgame system for me. Unfortunately, price is still too high.

If the price is too high simply buy used GR and don’t buy Hana SL, instead of this MC you can find a better deal on MM or MI cartridges.

When you buy used GR you can save some $$$ (no risk).
And if you want to go cheper with great Technics then simply buy MK7 for $899   

@chakster that was my original plan but I never see them come on the used market!
quick search came up with this

Technics turntable SL1210 MK5G. Condition is Well maintained I have 3 MK5Grandmasters for sale

https://www.ebay.com/c/15020228144

and this article
https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/technics-sl-1200sl-1210-mk7

if not changing pitch for dj work, what are the 'equally best' models in terms of simply playing 33.33 steadily, deck resonance?

IOW, the pricer 'grand' models make zero difference to us, except sleeping better at night.

The Hana SL is a wear-it-down to the nub cartridge. Thats a good thing.  Also look at similarly priced Benz.
Hi to everybody. Greetings from Australia.
I am very new here, although not at all new to audio and I have been following this topic with interest.
I also had the same question as the OP and I looked at and listened to as many of the usual suspects as possible, so Pro-Ject, Rega, Music Hall etc.
I decided on a Pro-Ject 2xperince DC at a cheap price for a demo unit, but quickly became dis satisfied with it, so I sold it and imported a vintage Pioneer PL 50  via Noppin and subsequently fitted a Dynavector DV 20 XL cart.

Compared to you guys in the USA, all audio gear is very expensive in Australia and even ordinary tables like the Rega 8 and MoFi Ultradeck are $4K+ AUD here. My Pioneer sounds( and looks) great and you can see, feel touch and most importantly, hear, the quality of a 30 year old table compared to a 2020 table.
So, to address the OP's question, I would look to import a vintage DD 'table such as Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, Victor etc for a ridiculously low price. Yes, it is true that shipping is expensive but all up my Pioneer cost me $1100 AUD, two years ago. Shipping prices have definitely risen sharply since then but IMO it is still a viable option.
binalong,

I agree, Vintage Direct Drive. Many, not all of he JVC-Victor and Denon Plinths are special designs, some 70 mm thick, 7 layers (4 wood/3 compound), others are solid, it is good to know which type you get.

I like Real Wood Veneer, that Denon marble plinth is a cut above, some wood is actually vinyl photo of wood, wrapped on the plinth.

The Sony I found is Metal, not plastic.

Of course, if you like or not bothered by plastic, you can get vintage for less cost, or affordable new.

Vinyl Engine says your Pioneer PL50 is Belt Drive, correct?

file:///C:/Users/ellio/Downloads/ve_pioneer_pl-50.pdf

Removable Arm Boards give future flexibility, and the large plinths with two removable arm boards are terrific if you get into Mono LP's as well as Stereo.
Interesting, nice TT.

It seems Pioneer used the model # PL-50 more than once, both belt and DD units are to be found.
Technics 1200/1210Gr. Resale value is much better than most any budget belt drive TT. The Technics is good enough to be the last TT ever purchased for majority of people. 
I'll second Chaksters recommendation on the vintage cartridge.  I have a Audio Technica ML150 OCC moving magnet cartridge and this thing rocks. Current MM manufacturers don't hold a candle to this kind of build quality.  I used to have a Ortofon 2M Black on a VPI Scout 1.1. Never could warm up to the sound and I'm pretty sure it was the cartridge and its shibato stylus that was the culprit.  The 2M Bronze doesn't behave this way.  It just wasn't my cup of tea and other users mileage may vary. 
I'll second Chaksters recommendation on the vintage cartridge. I have a Audio Technica ML150 OCC moving magnet cartridge and this thing rocks. Current MM manufacturers don't hold a candle to this kind of build quality. I used to have a Ortofon 2M Black on a VPI Scout 1.1. Never could warm up to the sound and I'm pretty sure it was the cartridge and its shibato stylus that was the culprit.

Now you see Sam, some of them are real killers, i can imagine if you will ever try the AT-ML170 OFC or AT-ML180 OCC :) 

Shibata is great profile, but the cantilever is important and the generator is important, there is nothing new in the Ortofon 2M series that some nice vintage MM cartridges can't beat. 

AT-ML with its MicroLine stylus profile is a low moving mass design, thanks to Beryllium Pipe cantilever (not available anymore for cart manufacturers) and tiny diamond. 

Enjoy.  
Marantz Tt-15s1.Besides a great turntable, it comes with a Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge. It lists for $1,500. But I didn’t have any trouble getting it for $1,250. (Music Direct). It is a steal.
Post removed 
OP here. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I went ahead and got an SL-1210GR with a Hana SL. All set for now and very satisfied. Next year I will upgrade my phono preamp from the Phono Box SE II but until then just enjoying the music with my very capable setup. Thanks again for your opinions, and take care!
"Sounded great" for you, but you can’t even adjust VTA on those cheap tonearms

Really, where have you read that?? The pro-ject 9, 9c or 9cc all have adjustable VTA! You loosen two allen screws at the base of tonearm mount. Pro-ject provides a shortened allen key to do this. They also have adjustable azimuth via a grub screw near the bearing yoke......wow! Talk about misinformed! The pro-ject aluminum (9), carbon fiber/aluminum (9c), and the carbon fiber 9cc are ALL better arms than the cheap S tonearm used on the technics. The only advantage of the technics is vta on the fly, that’s it. Also, a one piece tonearm sounds better than one with a detachable headshell. The technics does not have azimuth adjustment as far as I know, unless there is play in the detachable headshell. The entire arm on the pro- ject can be rotated to adjust azimuth. Also, Linn chose the pro-ject 9cc arm for their current Linn Majik turntable....it is a $700 arm, Linn did not think it was a sh*tty tonearm!
OP here. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I went ahead and got an SL-1210GR with a Hana SL.

Great! I hope later you will find some MM or MI to compare different carts to your MC