Marantz Ruby PM KI amp vs Accuphase e-480 or e-380

So... does the Marantz "economies of scale" trump here? Can they make just as good of luxury product for cheaper than the more "boutique" brand? Sound quality -wise, is the Ruby PM KI amp just as good or better (though without the features) as the Accuphase e380 or e480...?

My preference is detailed but perhaps on the warm side of neutral...

Could run either of ’em w a bluesound node going through the Ruby SACD player dac, so consider that the source(s).  Just consider that to be my inputs, into the Ruby and/or Accuphase amps, to control that point.  So the question is about the amps. 

And btw... I know there are plenty of other choices... but let's keep this discussion focused to my question at hand; I've heard all the arguments for all the other possible amps in this world, and I'm down to these two for the purposes of my question; I'm not interested in hearing about a bunch of other brands.

Another related thought, although it would likely void the warranty, if I bought an Accuphase, say the 480, in Japan ... could it be easily "rewired" to be American power (110/120) ? A high end repair shop ought be able to do that for a couple hundred bucks I’d think, or am I mistaken.

curtdr

So... does the Marantz "economies of scale" trump here? Can they make just as good of luxury product for cheaper than the more "boutique" brand? Sound quality -wise, is the Ruby PM KI amp just as good or better (though without the features) as the Accuphase e380 or e480...?

imo - no, no and no

I agree the Marantz PM-KI Ruby SIGNATURE REFERENCE Integrated amplifier looks very interesting especially at its price but my sense is the Accuphase e-480 or e-380 amps will sound much better. You need to audition these amps and make your own decision. I briefly looked at the Marantz PM-KI Ruby amp but passed since it does not have balanced inputs. I do not understand why this amp does not have balanced inputs.

I recommend you not purchase the Accuphase amp in Japan and convert it. This would void the warranty and is not recommended.

The Marantz Ruby amp might be worth a listen. Please see:

PM-KI Ruby exclusively focuses on transfixing audio performance. A fully discrete, two-stage, current-feedback design with separate power supplies for the preamplifier and power amplifier section, it outputs a robust 200Wpc into four ohms and 100Wpc into eight ohms. This rare gem also arrives with a MM/MC phono preamplifier with a Marantz Musical Premium Phono EQ circuit as well as Marantz HDAM technology throughout for exceptional high-resolution signal purity and the cleanest pathway through the amplifier. A toroidal transformer strictly dedicated the preamplifier for added precision, proprietary HDAM SA3 modules for optimal dynamics, and a linear volume control with all-new components further ensure what you hear goes beyond the believable”.

Just looking at the guts of the units, the Marantz is nowhere near the Accuphase amps. The Marantz has small caps, small transformer and small heatsinks. 100 cheap wpc can run out of steam pretty quick. Get the E-480. 

Post removed 

@russ69   The transformer and caps you note ONLY power the preamp section.  It is a class D design and superior to their prior class AB amp designs.  The amp has its own switching power supply.  The sound is excellent and the power delivered into low impedance loads is extremely high.  Nothing wimpy about this intergrated.

@corelli,  Based on my past experience, I am not a fan of Class D amps.  How does the Marantz Ruby PM KI amp class D design differ from their previous class D designs?   In other words, how is it superior than their previous class AB Designs?  Do you have any more comments on its sound quality?   Thanks.....  

a few comments

- a number truly top tier class d amps are now, finally, really the equal to some of the best class a or ab out there... witness agd audions

- that said, while i am sure the marantz unit sounds quite nice in absolute terms, i doubt it would perform at the level mentioned in the point above... i don’t really know for sure, but i suspect this to be the case, furthermore, i personally am not really that motivated to find out

Marantz Ruby 4K; Accuphase E-380 9.5K.  Apples to oranges.

No doubt that the Marantz is an excellent integrated at 4K: there are lots and lots of very happy users.  Does the E-380 sound and perform better: at the price differential it darn well better!  Only your ears can tell you whether that "better" is worth the extra price.

@hgeifman   I have never much discriminated of amplifier class.  There are good and bad examples of all types.

The Ruby is clearly part of the Marantz Reference Series.  It is voiced to be smooth with a hint of warmth like all of the Marantz integrateds I have heard.  Compared to the PM 14s2 LE I had prior to the Ruby, I find the Ruby to have superior low end impact with a more cavernous sound stage.  The Ncore modules can put out over 600watts of clean dynamic power into 2 ohms!  Not bad for a 100wpc amp.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/marantz-sa-kipm-ki-ruby-sacd-playeramplifier-lab-report

I thinks this amp can give more expensive amps a run for their money.  No comment of the Accuphase--never have had the pleasure to audition one.

@corelli Nothing wimpy about this intergrated.

I stand corrected, I didn't know it was a class D. Specs seem good but I like to test with some amp sucking speakers like my Infinity 2.5s. That will separate the posers. Thanks for the heads up. 

There are some comments on here saying the Marantz uses a switch mode power supply that is INCORRECT it uses a toroidal linear power supply with class D outputs. Please correct me if I’m wrong. And if I am it really doesn’t matter anyway. It will drive any speaker, and it’s stable into 1ohm loads. The power rating is very conservative I’ve read 200 into eight ohms and well over 350 into four ohms. And if anybody doubts it will not drive low impedance speakers I have a pair of Sonus Faber Extremas currently with my brother😫😂 and a pair of Hales Rev3’s both go into the upper two ohms in impedance. We also tried it on my brothers infinity renaissance 90s no problem. It also makes my Joseph audio pulsar twos sound phenomenal which is a very benign load. I’ve never heard digital amps sound like this. The last big amp that I have owned was the classe omega stereo with a convergent audio technology SL one ultimate preamp. All I can say is heat heat heat and heavy heavy heavy the omega weighed almost 350 pounds, the SL one ultimate weighs 80 pounds. Is the Marantz better than these two no, is it 90% of these two yes, also I can pick it up myself as it weighs 38 pounds. Also I’m 57 years old so I’m weighing in different things than some of the younger guys like if my classe amp broke I would have to get it from upstairs to downstairs in it’s flight case and then shipping back to Canada that would cost half as much as a used Marantz Ruby. Also I owned the Cat SL one ultimate for 20 years and all the money I spent on tubes no telling what else I could’ve owned, I loved it it was phenomenal but it’s heavy and finicky tube eater. But did it sound gorgeous with the classe yes. It cost a lot of money to get that extra 10% also I think the Marantz would compete with any Accuphase equipment even the very top E series. Accuphase is phenomenal equipment but you’re going to empty your wallet to get it. When you step in to the E-series will it beat the Marantz possibly, at this point in my life it’s not worth the extra cash I could spend it somewhere else to better my system🤔. This is just my opinion and I’m not trying to frustrate or make anybody mad. We all have our opinions I was just very surprised when putting the Marantz in my system and putting different speakers on it. Right now I have a fully restored Levinson 383 that I love. I’m using the Marantz in my bedroom with Rel subs I love this amp it does not sound like your typical class D amp. If it did I wouldn’t own it. Also I’ve owned the super high-end exotic stuff and actually as i get older, as long as I buy quality stuff it doesn’t make that much of a difference to me. So your mileage may vary, and you have to weigh things towards your budget and where you are in your life. I love my tube amp I love the Levinson and I love the Marantz it’s all I need

@wadia150 Yeah, I hear you very clearly. I went with the Ruby for many of the same reasons you list out... I got open box both the amp and the cd player/dac for a lot less than even a used Accuphase e480, so I threw in a bluesound node (the new model... 130 is the model #?) and I’m still well under the 480. The 480 is pretty and I’m sure sounds great, but I am certain the Ruby will sound great too... more than great to my imperfect 60 year old ears, surely... since I even like the seemingly-lowly Marantz nr1200. I haven’t even hooked up the Rubies yet because I’m travelling currently.

Plus, since I’m buying another house, I used some of the remaining surplus savings to pay for inspections, and then some... will STILL have more left over for some minor house repairs like a few broken shingles and whatnot.

So I get a great new stack w five-year warranty plus a bluesound for less than just one used amp alone....  indeed, I’d still have money to throw on an FM tuner, if I decide to... a Rotel or Sangean or something (but maybe the bluesound streamer will take care of all that, although I like the idea of having over the air option). 

I was sorely tempted by the gorgeous 480, but I am fully confident that the Ruby stack will be exceptional and far beyond what I’ve ever owned before, and even what I’ve owned before sounds excellent w my speakers and better in fact than most more expensive fancy setups that I’ve encountered... so that’ll do it, and I think I have my priorities straight, too, really...

Thank you everybody for helping me think things through.

@wadia150 May I ask how you connected the REL subwoofer to the PM-KI? Is any component getting warm at the touch? According to Marantz, the PM-KI was not meant to have a subwoofer connected to it. 

This is their reply when I contacted them (Marantz). Even the guy from Rythmic subs warned me about connecting subs to Class D amps.

Thank you for contacting Marantz Support, we value you as a customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!
The PM-KI Ruby is not a Fully (or true) Balanced amp. Only the PM-10 in our Reference line is Fully Balanced.

We do not recommend connecting a speaker level sub to this unit as it may cause damage to the amp channels. Unfortunately, the PM-KI Ruby is not designed to handle a sub. It's designed to be used with 2 speakers connected only.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again. 
Thank you for contacting Marantz Customer Support.  Have a great day!
Regards,
Anthony
Customer Support
Denon | Marantz
Sound United North America

We do not recommend connecting a speaker level sub to this unit as it may cause damage to the amp channels. Unfortunately, the PM-KI Ruby is not designed to handle a sub. It's designed to be used with 2 speakers connected only.

patently ridiculous

I have my new Ruby connected to my older Pinnacle Baby Boomer powered subwoofer.  So far I have no issues whatsoever.  The Baby Boomer has left and right speaker level in lines and then lines back out to the speakers themselves.

I too was concerned at first about hooking up a sub to the Ruby because of the above quote, which is a strange one coming from a Marantz rep, but I have been assured by several other reputable sources that any such concerns are simply strange and wrong... Perhaps if one is hooking up a non-powered sub, there might be a legit concern of draw on the amp?  I don't know, but two reputable Ruby sales sources and both SVS and REL reps have told me there shouldn't be any worry at all. 

I guess if one is concerned, there are (too expensive) external crossovers available and also inexpensive speaker line to "RCA"-in converters as well...?  

As for external crossovers, though, imo it'd be best just to replace my sub w a more modern one that can be more fully controlled for a customized blend... think SVS.

The Pinnacle is a heck of a nice, tight sub in a compact form, dual 8" drivers facing opposite directions, sealed design, attractive finish.  I do wish my Pinnacle had a lower crossover so I could cross it at 40 instead of the 50 which is the lowest the Pinnacle offers.  50 is good with the Heresy IV speakers, but 45 or 40 would be better in my current room as the Heresy do a pretty good job down to 50.  40 or 35 would be better for my EPI speakers with Human parts which do an amazing tight articulate job down to about 45.  But a new SVS would have the advanced customization capability to blend close-enough to perfectly with either speakers, and based on the information that I have, hooking up via speaker level a sub to the Ruby should not be a problem at all.

I've had 2 REL subs linked to my Ruby's speaker binding posts for a year or so with no issues. Sounds wonderful. 

Also, I have played around with tons of amps on extended basis. This amp is an exceptional performer. It is a reference level piece that can compete and best stuff costing way more. 

Opening the box of the Ruby products is a treat.  The Japanese build quality is something to behold.  I think Ken should have added some bling to the cosmetics because it looks smooth and strong but could use a bit of flair. 

@jbhiller

good to see you post again... hope you are well this holiday season and enjoying the music 🎄

Thanks @jjss49 ! 

I took a summer hiatus from my hifi obsession, listing only once per week--which is rare.  I used the time to hit the woodshed and get my fingerstyle guitar skills back to where they should be. It saved me some component jumping costs! But I'm back.