Luxman L-509X

Any A'Gon readers from Japan listened to this new integrated? The specs and description seems like it could be an incredible piece. Though likely dependent on how good the pre-amp stage sounds. The amp section is supposed to be similar to the great sounding m700u stereo amp.

http://www.audiovenue.uk/newly-launched/luxman-l-509x/

yyzsantabarbara
jjss49625 posts09-11-2020 12:12pmi have always found the very high end japanese solid state ultra refined ultra smooth but a bit lacking in frequency extension and attack

in this group i have tried units over the years by luxman, accuphase and esoteric/teac

i would agree that amplification from ayre, pass and even top hegels are better sounding overall, at least to my ears

I received contradictory views on the differences between Luxman and Pass labs. The Pass was said to sound smoother and lacks the dynamics and attack of the Luxman.
I have to say that the reason I got my Luxman 507ux was exactly the extension at the frequency extremes, plus the liquid tube like midrange.

I do not like the Pass sound, but from those who do, what seems to be a common trait is their choice of speakers.  Big old horns and bass cabinet users tend to do really well.

You absolutely should listen to both, because if you do I'm certain you'll have your own strong preference and what I type here won't matter.
Ryder,
Here are the new links to the pictures 

https://imgur.com/t/luxman/a3N1DfP

https://imgur.com/t/luxman/AvbbYSf

A 10 yr old can drill better holes than that!

I did feedback to the dealer the same day I opened it up. He said it's "normal". I also asked the question in Luxman FB and they replied, "yeah, it's like that unfortunately :(" EXACT WORDS! WITH THE SAD FACE! And said wish I could see other units, they look similar to mine. They asked for my serial number and they will feedback to QC, but zero assurance or commitment that they will take care of this. 

This is a Luxman flagship integrated amp!
Douggie, I hope you get that sorted out soon. The holes should be perfect in form.
Zero Fidelity on YouTube did a nice review on the Luxman 550axii, the little brother of the 590. He must have liked it, it's his new reference.
Why, oh why, does an expensive amplifier such as this, include the addition of a switch, and additional wires / traces, for speaker switching / headphone listening. I have bypassed this switching and additional wiring, in several amplifiers ( most of them, coincidently, were of Japanese origin ), and the sound, became cleaner, had more detail, embraced me with a quieter black background, and showed me, much more dynamic capability. It is so easy to piggy back additional amplifiers, for a secondary system / additional set of speakers. So, given how good this amplifier is, I know, it could be better. I am sorry if I hurt feelings here.
always need to understand what any reviewers’ frame of reference is

sean is a good guy, but he reviews denon yamaha marantz, no name china tube amps...

of course he would be impressed with a luxman... do you think it might become his ’reference’ ???

LOL
mrdecibel2,314 posts09-23-2020 3:34pmWhy, oh why, does an expensive amplifier such as this, include the addition of a switch, and additional wires / traces, for speaker switching / headphone listening. I have bypassed this switching and additional wiring, in several amplifiers ( most of them, coincidently, were of Japanese origin ), and the sound, became cleaner, had more detail, embraced me with a quieter black background, and showed me, much more dynamic capability. It is so easy to piggy back additional amplifiers, for a secondary system / additional set of speakers. So, given how good this amplifier is, I know, it could be better. I am sorry if I hurt feelings here.
Well, you can always engage the 'Line Straight' feature, and bypass all of that.
People like me actually use these features.   If I'd wanted a minimalist setup I'd have bought something else. 
I'm inclined to think a lot of people have ideas about how they must sound, without having heard it.
@builder3, if that truly is the case, I am wrong, plain and simple. But, this is, another switch, in the signal path. I suppose, I am a purist....old school.....less, is more. Enjoy, be well and stay safe ! Always, MrD.
"I suppose, I am a purist....old school.....less, is more."

Hmmm, one part of Luxman’s appeal is that it looks (Lux?) old school. In part because of all the knobs and buttons on it. That is how amplifiers used to look like in the days of old.
For those who are using a cheap off-the-shelf power cord on the Luxman L-509X or L-590AXII, do try a Acrolink Mexcel PC9900, PC8100 or PC9700. The changes that these cords bring are incredible.