Keep McIntosh C2500 pre-amp or upgrade to C12000?

I am looking to upgrade the sound of my system. My audio guy has told me to consider selling my C2500 and upgrading to the C12000. I’d like to hear an enhanced sound stage. Several folks have told me to start with the pre-amp. Of course this comes down to the VALUE of selling a classic and buying the new kid. I am interested in hearing your input. Thanks in advance.

meadski

If I was you I’d take a hard look at the new Spatial Audio Raven or Aric Audio Motherload preamps given what you’re looking for, and they cost less than half the price of the C12000. I think both offer a trial period, and I’d bet big $$$ you wouldn’t send either back and will be only too happy to sell your C2500 once you hear what you’ve been missing. Best of luck.

I just remembered your turntable discussion, what did you end up doing?

Are you still using the Sonus Faber Sonetto III speakers? They (and their ported design in your space) are making the most significant contribution to your system's sound characteristic. I would not expect any significant change in sound changing those preamp models.

You have very powerful 450 wpc solid state amp for those speakers 88 spl efficiency, and they have both a rear port and a downward reflected port at their base.

I would consider changing the speakers before changing the Preamp, you have 'tube sound' preamp already, I would make a plan for eventually tube amp which means more efficient speakers, and I encourage larger driver(s) no ports.

i will look into those, soix, thanks for the recommendation!

Yes, Elliott, still running all the original gear. The tube sound is what i was concerned making an upgrade but gaining no value in the sound. I am not dissatisfied at all just want to do make any upgrades worth the money spent. Thanks!

oh, on the turntable i went with a Pro-Ject Extension 9. Happy with it so far, but.....

You gotta get rid of the  ... but ..... I suspect you need nothing except time to enjoy what you have.

Try changing your tubes to a different brand/NOS first. I don't think your going to see that big of a difference moving to the 12000 from the 2500, better DAC of course. and the option for SS or Tube stages if that's something you like. I did a comparison from the 2700 and 12000 and the difference did not justify the price difference to me, tube stage comparison only. 

Tubes made a good difference with my 2700 when I was tube rolling. definitely able to tailor the sound more with different tubes. 

Cary Audio SLP 05 two chassis preamp sounds competitive to tha Mac at half the price.  a new one is on sale at cary direct for 5997.  love mine completely.  

Agree with @glennewick: swap in some NOS tubes to the C2500.   Telefunken in our C2500 was a major game changer.  Major.  If not, I would have sold that Mac a long time ago.  

Which Telefunken tubes? And, @elliottbnewcombjr I did not buy the Sonetto III. but the Olympica Nova III. I upgraded pre-purchase. I enjoy them.

I second the Aric Audio Motherlode suggestion. I had both the 2300 and the 2500 prior to the Motherlode...the difference in performance will make you question Mac and high end audio (read; exorbitant cost structure) in general.

@meadski:  NOS Telefunken 12AX7, recommended and purchased from Kevin at Upscale.   Made a night and day improvement to the C2500.