Is a GREAT turntable under $2000 possible???

Howdy folks-

I’m really enjoying my current set up and return to 2.1 channel listening and Home Theater. Here’s what I’ve got:

-Mc402 Amp
-Anthem Mrx 520
-Oppo 103 Bdp with Scott Nixon tube dac
-Mac Mini with a Scott Nixon Usb tube dac
-Audience and Wireworld cables
-Tekton Electron speakers

I’d like to introduce vinyl to my evening listening pleasure. Any recommendations for a turntable (including arm, cartridge, etc) under $2000? Is this a reasonable figure? I have no clue when it comes to turntables so any advice given is surely appreciated.

Brent

128x128knollbrent
Their are alot of great turntables out there.  They are not excellent or fantastic but great.  
I noticed Sonos is providing a turntable made by Pro-ject for their wireless systems. 
I use Sonos for ambient music around my house.  They provide an excellent product - their speaker designs are very good.  Everything I come across is positive about the Pro-ject line of turntable (cost effective).  Good luck and spend some time to find what you need.

jhv
What do do you think of the new Rega Planar 6? It’s getting great reviews.  I now have a 25 year old original Well Tempered Turntable with a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge.  I’m thinking of replacing it with the Rega and either moving the cartridge or buying a new Dynavector 20x (depending how my 10x needle looks When it’s examined). My other equipment: Audio Research amp, preamp and phono stage, Naim Unitiserve server, Aurilac Vega DAC, KEF Reference 5 speakers.  I don’t play records that much so I don’t want to spend a huge amount on a new turntable.  My dealer highly recommends the Rega Planar 6. 
Talk to Dave at VinylNirvana.com -- he does amazing work with remanufactured, vintage Thorens turntables, some within your budget. However as others have pointed out, a phono stage is another matter. But check out the Audigon thread on the iPhono. I have no experience with it but the user comments were interesting.
Wow, what great suggestions. Leaning toward...

Marantz TT15s- Open box $1250

Lehmann black cube statement $500

Might be a nice place to start???
Btw - nice thing about an older VPI is that you can gradually upgrade the parts and end up with a really stellar turntable (and a nice analog rabbit hole to fall into!). The Aries TT's are great for that. 
oops -- once again I forgot to refresh the page before posting a response.  Sorry if i'm being redundant. 

the trouble is you'll need a good phono stage to do justice to whatever you put together with the turntable. all of it can be done used for better value (except maybe the cartridge), but $3000 maybe a more reasonable target to get an analog front end into your system.  

The Marantz TT15s gets high praise from people whose opinion I trust. It's actually a rebadged Clearaudio TT and retails for 1500.  used ones on eBay are about $1k often with good carts.  
I've owned at least a hundred TT's for an tricked out Linn LP-12  to a AR-xa ..
Right now I am listening to a Pioneer PLX-1000 with a Soundsmith Ottelo
 cartridge at a total cost of 1k + tax .
 And yes , it IS great . It was very good but a 700 $ Project DS-2 Phono
 pre-amp made it great .
Read The Stereophile review of the PLX-1000, it is spot on !
People who have have never heard one , much less own one , will tell you
it is Chinese junk . They lie .
I'll second the HW-19  especially the mk iii or mk iv

easy to take care of and fix if needed
Thanks everybody for your time and suggestions. I'm looking into your suggestions. The Technics is old school, I like that a lot. Music Hall 9.3 looks very good as well. I'll keep my eyes to the used turntables to see if I can get a steal there!

If you don’t want to buy used, look for a well made value priced table with a good cartridge. For example the Marantz TT 15S1 can be had for $1,499 and it comes with a Clearaudio Virtuoso ($800) cartridge. Clearaudio also makes the turntable for Marantz. It’s solid.

You have a number of options for a phono stage in the $500 range. Others can better provide advice for the phono stage.  There’s your $2,000 spend and this would work well.

Old VPI’s are a safe bet table (good design, and built to last), and can be found cheap. I got an HW-19 Mk.2 for $500, and an Aries 1 with TNT-3/4 platter and bearing for $700 total (I got lucky). Add a new Jelco or Audiomods arm ($500-$800), and cartridge of your choice, and boom---LP music!
$2k? Maybe not off the shelf but you can certainly do what I did. Source a clean Garrard 401 for about $800. Make or buy a layered birch ply plinth and add a 12" Jelco 750 arm for $550. Optionally add an Audiosilente idler for $100. Add brass feet and sit table on solid level support and you will have a great table.

Ive had a Music Hall 9.3 for a couple of years now. Bought when they first came out with the new model. It comes with preinstalled goldring erotica lx MC cartridge. I am thrilled with performance at $2395 new. Never seen one used here so I’m assuming other owners haven’t been trading up.
To be blunt, NO.  A GREAT turntable is the combination of a lot of well executed engineering, which doesn't come cheap.
There are many good to very good turntables for under $2K, however.  More than ever before in my estimation.  You can probably find something used that retails for $3K or more for under $2K, so my advice is to do your research and be patient for the deal to happen.  Clearaudio, VPI, and many others are good brands to focus on.  I owned a Clearaudio Emotion for a while and was very impressed with the sound.  My local Craigslist has one for $1K, so there are some incredible deals out there if you look carefully.    
a little over but a great sounding system,
technics sl 1200gr
lehmann black cube statement
orotfon quintet bronze