EAR 834 line stage

Recently stumbled on EAR 834 l preamplifier in my search for a pre-amp.

Not much with respect to reviews; or at least recent ones.

Anyone with experience with the 834?

mdrone

I must have had a lemon! Bought it based on Harry Pearson's recommendation - said it reminded him of my ARC SP10. 1) It sounded nothing like my SP10. 2) It was 'bright'. 3)I couldn't get clarity from the manufacturer or distributer re proper tube selection or positioning - I'm talking about type, not brand. There was a conflict about where to place them - i.e., manual sez one thing, actual tube placement by mfg was the reverse.  I opted to place them in positions where the mfg had placed them. 4)Thing was built like a tinker toy. RCA were soldered onto a printed board - obviously they came loose with ease. 6) Unit had (as I recall) 5 inputs but in reality only 3 worked - the other two were duplicative. I found it to be a POS which I couldn't in good faith sell - I deposited it into a trash can. You asked! :-(

I don't know anything about the preamp but I have the EAR 534 power amp. It sounds marvellous, is built like a tank and punches $$$ above its weight, which is considerable. Also, when I wanted info on the tubes EAR responded with the information immediately. The only criticism I have relates to the manual which is very basic but who needs a manual for a power amp anyway. My experience is totally different to that of newbee.

I believe the 834 is now pretty old. I have the newer 868, which does not at all match the description @newbee gives of the 834. The 868 weighs 20 lbs., is very solidly constructed---including chassis mounted RCA and XLR jacks, and sounds great.

One of The best preamps i’ve heard.  Very musical, open , detailfull . À piece of Art from Tim de Paravicini !

u know, that one that ive never come across. with as much experience as folks have across all these message boards, the fact that i haven come across multiple conversations praising the line stage tells me ...dont bother. very vew pieces of gear dont have a strong fan club of some type, and i dont come across anyone singin its praises. 

Art Dudley reviewed the EAR 868's big bother, the 912 pre-amp. He said it was the first pre-amp he had heard in a long time that filled him with lust, that it rivaled his Shindo Monbrison ($12,9000). The 868 and 912 were both designed and built by Tim de Paravicini, the two pre-amps sharing a number of design features.

Contrary to the opinion expressed directly above, Paravicini and his designs have a strong cult-sized fan base amongst hi-fi aficionados with deeper roots (and perhaps a better command of the English language ;-) than he. Paravicini's clients include Pink Floyd Studios in England, Water Lily Records in California (whose recordings feature state-of-the-art sound quality, and have been awarded Grammy's for engineering), and Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. 

I have it  and have used it in the last 15+ years - Denon 103 MC cartridge  - it is great sweet sounding, detailed - very pleasant. I also have the Quad QC-24P Valve MM/MC Phono Stage which is just as good.

I don't have good experience with Solid State Phono stages (Lehmann cube is one I have and is thin and flat sounding)

In fact I have tube mm stages in a Copland CTA 301 MK II tube Preamp
and in a Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Preamp (I have an EAR SUT MC 3 and the Dynavector Step-up Transformer –SUP-200  for Low MC)

People's millage may vary of course - I like the EAR (has NOS tubes)

In case  u are interested - the turntables are 1 - J.A. Michel Gyro Orbe SE , SME IV, Ortofon Kontrapunkt "b" MC

and 2 Denons (47F and 59L Dynavector Karat 17D2 MC) .....(i have others -Dual 1229, 5000, and a Thorens 145)- yes - crazy - i know

For $13 large, a fella could buy lots of good preowned tubed preamps.  A few used models that pop into mind are:

1) Reference 40 by Audio Research, separate signal and power supply chassis

2) VTL 7.5 Mk III - Same as above, two chassis

3) VAC Renaissance Mk II - 2 chassis

4) Lamm L2.1 Reference - 2 chassis

I’ve never seen an EAR 912 for sale used. 868’s come up every so often, selling at around $3,000 for the "L" version (line stage only), $4,000 for the "PL" (phono and line).

I have been using the EAR 834P Phono Box for about 4 years now.  Using through EAR 834 Integrated Amplifier.  I no longer look for upgrades. Sound is fantastic. I think all components in the system have to compliment one another ie. cartridge , turntable, speakers etc. It means a lot of research but rewards well. 

I have the EAR 868 and a pig will fly over a frozen lake in hell before I would consider parting with it.  Paired with the Bryston 4B3.  They seem to love each other. 

@pizza tower

The EAR 834L preamplifier is an entry-level product from British hifi and recording equipment manufacturer, EAR. It is reputed to offer high-end performance. However, while the sound quality is good, the build quality is poor and not as robust as expected. The 834L is a line stage only kit, and the circuit board is almost identical to that of the 834P phono preamp. The preamplifier contains Mullard tubes that produce warm and atmospheric sounds, which may be suitable for certain types of music such as vocals. Nonetheless, some reviewers have noted that it may not be the best option for rock music due to its sweetness. Overall, the EAR 834L preamplifier is a high-quality product that offers excellent performance for its price point.