EAR 834 line stage

Recently stumbled on EAR 834 l preamplifier in my search for a pre-amp.

Not much with respect to reviews; or at least recent ones.

Anyone with experience with the 834?

mdrone

Showing 4 responses by bdp24

I’ve never seen an EAR 912 for sale used. 868’s come up every so often, selling at around $3,000 for the "L" version (line stage only), $4,000 for the "PL" (phono and line).

Art Dudley reviewed the EAR 868's big bother, the 912 pre-amp. He said it was the first pre-amp he had heard in a long time that filled him with lust, that it rivaled his Shindo Monbrison ($12,9000). The 868 and 912 were both designed and built by Tim de Paravicini, the two pre-amps sharing a number of design features.

Contrary to the opinion expressed directly above, Paravicini and his designs have a strong cult-sized fan base amongst hi-fi aficionados with deeper roots (and perhaps a better command of the English language ;-) than he. Paravicini's clients include Pink Floyd Studios in England, Water Lily Records in California (whose recordings feature state-of-the-art sound quality, and have been awarded Grammy's for engineering), and Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. 

I believe the 834 is now pretty old. I have the newer 868, which does not at all match the description @newbee gives of the 834. The 868 weighs 20 lbs., is very solidly constructed---including chassis mounted RCA and XLR jacks, and sounds great.