Decent mid fi with Onkyo tax-nr809

I previously owned various brands - Counterpoint, Cary, VTL, Usher Audio, Quicksilver, Mirage, Monarchy Audio, Doge….. and more. Sold it all years back and wanted to get back in recently but on a strict budget. So I acquired an older Onkyo tx-nr809 home theater receiver for $150. Retailed about $1100 when new. Added an older Nad dvd/cd player for $50, a $150 Schiit Modi dac. Tried a Polk Rt/Cs surround set up. Well sounded like crap to be honest. Swapped out the polks and got a pair of Tekton Lore speakers for $500. Running the Onkyo in pure direct mode - 2 channel which bypasses all the surround processing, room correction, and tone controls. All I can say is wow!!!! Not quite at the level of some of my prior set ups and equipment but honestly much closer than I would have imagined. Don’t over look some of the older higher end surround receivers repurposed for a 2 channel up. An excellent value !!!! Anyone else taking this approach???

pdspecl

Well, if going 2-channel I would continue to look for a quality 2-channel amplifier. 

That said, I don't know of one that would beat a $1100 AVR at $150.  Enjoy what you have and save for a used 2-channel integrated.

there are even some Sony surround receivers that people throw out, that are all done (completely!) in ’nichicon muse’ capacitors. This is no small thing, regarding final sound quality. Re-capping old gear exists as a known phenomena - for a reason. It’s not just the age of the capacitors, it’s the quality of them, how it affects the signal reproduction.

eg, the Sony STR-DB930. (possibly the DB940 as well. And others) Done in extreme grade capacitors. Lots of them. Not cheap to execute. I would not call Sony a dumb company, either. (with regard to sales potentials which, in turn is - costs incurred vs retail price)

STR-DB930

Nichicon Muse (’Fine Gold’) throughout
Nichicon Muse ’Fine Gold’ throughout

Here is a video of a (lets be kind and say he’s kinda iffy in his tech skills) gentleman opening up a DB940. Note that even the speaker wiring is swapped out to a non normal set, the kind of swap we accuse ’audio modketeer hacks’ of doing in gear. The kind of extremism that can make it look overly busy and ’hacky’/clunky in a ’19 year old adding a turbo to his honda’ kinda way.  You can see it in the DB930 image at the upper left, peeking out just a bit, between the circuit board and the metal support structure.

Yet Sony did it right at the factory. The wiring I’m speaking of is the copper wire with the transparent skin. That’s the speaker wiring from the main amplifier board that goes over to the speaker terminals. If Sony does such things right at the factory, then the modketeering types aren’t all that crazy, are they?

Audio extremism. It’s a thing. Even at the multi-billion dollar corporation level.

I like the Onkyo integrated. I was running some Harbeth M30s with a $350 Onkyo while my tube amp was being repaired and it wasn’t bad at all. 

Just to clarify the Onkyo tx-nr809 was produced in 2012.   So I mentioned older because in the realm of AVR receivers that’s a long time since AV technology and audio/video processing advances considerably over ten years.   However ten years for aging of caps is typically not a concern assuming average hours of usage.

The topic of this post is dear to my heart. My go-to for "very good sound" on the cheap is the Sony STR DA1000ES receiver. I recently purchased my third from ebay for $130 or so. This box is just so musical. Can't believe the bass coming out of my KEF aluminum "egg" speakers (3" woofers?). Great sound.

My Onkyo TX-SR876 HT receiver ($1400 in 2008) is my HT workhorse. You should see the power supply transformer in this baby! I think there is a cottage-industry looming for using these power supplies when the receiver dies. Would make a great two-channel amp. Would break my heart to just throw it away.

I agree with OP.

Prior Onkyo AVR TX-NR626 sounded darn good, 5.1 and 2 Channel Stereo. (Idle, I needed more HDMI inputs))

Current Sony STR-DN1080 also sounds darn good. 5.1 and 2 Channel Stereo

My small Home Theater, I often use DIRECT, or change from 5.1 to 2 Channel with preferable results.

Inputting 2 Channel content, it would automatically choose 2 channel or I would 'force' it.

Of course your main front speakers need to make good sound, mine are DBX Soundfield 100's with a 10" woofer. Enough Bass for 2 Channel in my situation. Sub is 'in' only for 5.1 video. If it was my main music system, it would be very nice but not outstanding, due primarily to the speakers and space.

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/dbx-soundfield-100-135.html

I’m sure the OP is enjoying his combination but I’m not sure it rises to the mid-fj level. Pretty much entry level. Most of us started with a receiver and a pair of loudspeakers. 

I'm not sure how the Onkyo sounds in 2-channel direct mode, but my experience with a previous HT receiver was that the movie mode sound was pretty awful.  The decoding in my Oppo was so much better sounding. 

When I got the Onkyo and hooked it up to the polks there was not one surround mode/setting that even sounded remotely decent.   So I assumed the receiver was crappy too to be honest.   I then acquired the Tekton Lores and wanted to play them immediately upon purchase to ensure their were no issues with the speakers.   The 2 channel audio quality in direct mode versus surround setting/polk set up was night and day.   Totally not expected.   It’s just musical, detailed…...   I’m sure it’s limitations are it the finer details it can’t reproduce versus better gear.     But I agree that in surround mode it’s lame