Converting from 230v to 110 v

Is it advisable to buy a European cd player and use a transformer here in the states? Just wondering if they sound quality would be comprised.

Thanks
AJ

128x128ajay555

I run a euro amp on US 230V (stoves, dryers, ovens etc are wired for 230V).

Using a transformer can be more of an issue.  They can hum.  You should buy one that is quite oversized to support any amp power requirements.  I'd get at least 1KW, if not 2.  

But I found that with an adequate sized transformer, you can do it.  Sound quality might even be better since 230V requires only 1/2 the current.

There is technically a difference between US 230 and EU 230.  In europe one of the legs is 0v to ground.  and one is 230V to ground.  Here in the US both legs are 115 to ground.  This shouldn't be a problem for your amp unless it trips a safety device.  In that case, you might have to disable it.  Most amps don't have such circuitry.    

Jerry

This is a very low wattage situation, any number of inexpensive step down transformers should work fine for you. Just check to make sure your step down transformer wattage is greater than the CD player.

I agree with Eric.  I answered for an amp, which is much more challenging service.

Use as large a transformer as you can afford by cost/size/weight.

Don't be tempted by SMPS and conditioners - just a straight-up traf.

Just wondering if they sound quality would be comprised.

I went the other way from 115V/60 Hz to 230V/50Hz when I moved overseas 18 months ago. It’s not so much the voltage that can’t be converted it’s the Hz which translates to the cd running at the proper speed.

First of all, check to see if the CD player is dual voltage. If so, you won’t need a step up/down transformer. If it says 115V/230V, than you are good to go, it’s usually changing the value of the fuse & perhaps an internal switch too - but be safe & contact The manufacturer, and see if you can change voltage.

The other caveat, when switching from 60 to 50 Hz or vice versa is if it has a AC or DC motor. I learned this the hard way. Most CD players and cassette decks have DC motors in them so when you change voltage it hurts automatically changes the Hz too. So when I changed voltages on my Audiolab cd transport & Nakamichi tape deck, it worked just fine at the proper speed.

I was not so lucky with my turntable as turntables usually have an AC motor so when you convert the voltage, it still stays at 60 Hz. I had to do a different workaround for that and that took me a few months to get the right advice.

When I tried to change my dual voltage Meridian integrated amp, the manufacturer said that I would need to install a different transformer to make it work and the cost was prohibitive, so for that unit I got a Step Up Transformer.

if you need an SUT, make sure to get 2-3X the output wattage listed on the back of the unit. The Meridian put out 400 watts & I got a 1500 watt SUT from Amazon for $60 and the unit ran cool as a cucumber and the SUT was dead quiet. I also have a 500 watt SUT that hums and gets warm that I use for smaller appliances.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things work out. If anyone is interested in how I converted from 60 to 50 Hz on an AC motor (on my Ariston TT), I’ll be happy to advise.

... If anyone is interested in how I converted from 60 to 50 Hz on an AC motor (on my Ariston TT), I’ll be happy to advise.

Changing the motor pulley is usually the simplest way to do that.

@cleeds 

People recommended that too, what I’ve done is much simpler than that.  I heard you need to have to correct size pulley too.