Bringing Bryston 4B back to 1997 new.

Recently I rescued a Bryston 4B off Facebook marketplace. It needs to be refurbished. Bryston will bring it back to 1997 new for $1400. That’ll bring my investment to $1700 all in. I’m thinking for the money I might be better off with a nice class D . I’d be powering Thiel CS 2.4’s. I have a Bryston BP 20 preamp Curious what you guys think. Go vintage or invest in the future?

goldbehen

I am a long-time Bryston owner.

Because Bryston 4B amplifiers have been in continuous production since 1978 a helpful hint in discussions is to always include the specific generation of the 4B amplifier being discussed.

A 4B amplifier that was new in 1997 is the 4B ST which was first introduced in 1996 and remained in production until about 2002 when it was supplanted by the 4B SST. 1997 4B ST price: $2,470. The price of the current model 4B3 is $7,495.

I own a 4B ST purchased new in 2000. It has performed superbly with no failures these past 23 years. I also own the Bryston BP 25 preamp purchased with the amp and with similar performance.

Last year I considered (1)  renewing my 4B ST via Bryston's Back To The Future program in which Bryston restores and recertifies any of its earlier amps to their original factory specifications and provides a new three-year warranty; or (2) buying a new 4B3. A description of the BTTF program is online at Bryston's website: BRYSTON_VINTAGE_MEMO.pdf

Bryston is one of the few manufacturers to test, burn-in, and provide individual performance specifications with a detailed certificate for every product that they make, and then to guarantee that performance for 20 years, a standard unmatched by any other amplifier manufacturer. You should check for an original performance certificate with yours. If missing, you can find the original performance specifications for your unit online.

Because I am in my 70's I decided that simply renewing my current unit is the more circumspect course. I did that and am completely satisfied with the results. My renewed unit sounds no different than it did before, meaning completely transparent to the source. But it is nice knowing that the internals are trustworthy for at least the next three years and likely long beyond my need. And I don't know how they did it but somehow it looks better than new. 

There are different costs for the renewal service ranging from $1 - 2k depending upon the options selected. This compares well with the alternatives that you might contemplate.

There is one recent review online directly comparing the performance of a 4B ST (not renewed) to the performance of the new 4B3. It may be found here: Bryston Audio 4B³ Power Amplifier | REVIEW - Part-Time Audiophile (parttimeaudiophile.com)

The review is purely subjective with only the most basic specifications for the 4B3 provided. Still, it's something for your consideration that might be useful.

Your situation is interesting and the options promising regardless of the path selected. 

Thank you for your detailed response. I’m right behind you age wise. Lately I’ve been reading about  purifi amplifiers and what looks like an novel new way of amplification. Up till now nothing has come along that I thought was significantly better. I know the restored Bryston will be a great amplifier for many more years. To me it’s similar to current car choices. The Bryston in my mind would be like a Lexus. Smooth and reliable and a little luxury. Where the new D class amplifiers compare to a Tesla. More cutting edge,wave of the future.

You say Bryston brings it back to the out of date  specs?  Meaning 1997 or whatever year it was manufactured? Wouldn't it be preferable to upgrade the amp to 4B3 level? Or sst, or even sst2 which I believe they call that square? Perhaps that can't be done with an older model! Unless you need a warranty maybe find a local guy and have him replace the caps. I have 7B squared is what they call it for short. 

Bryston doesn’t change existing circuitry . They do update caps and filters if they can. It will still be the same amplifier as it was when it was when manufactured. I’m not likely to be spending $7400 for the cube series. 

I owned the BP20 and also owned Bryston amps in the 1990’s. I also had a Thiel SCS4 monitor with a Bryston 7B-sst and I think a BAT VK-42SE preamp (warm).

The combo of the BP20 + Bryston 1997 + Thiel would be too bright for my ears. I would get a warm-ish Class D amp, such as a D-Sonic

@goldbehen I too wouldn't be paying that for a new cube series but on the used market they can be found and still warranted for the remainder of years. I get a warmer presentation with a tube pre and the 7sq.  Probably though I'd be considered to have a bright system. 

I sold Bryston retail for years, and they are spectacular amps and have excellent build quality. Renewing one is not a bad way to go. However for the same money you could buy a brand new Axiom Audio ADA1000 amp with 250 watts/ch and huge headroom in a very neutral sounding amp. FYI the owner of Axiom now owns Bryston. The Axiom amps are not typical class D, the have massive toroidal transformers and 60,000uf  of capacitance and weigh 44 pounds. Most importantly they sound amazing. The ADA-1000's class-D output stage (designed by Axiom) uses a high-current linear power supply that provides better performance than the switching supplies typical in class-D designs. Very uncolored. I am using a 4 ch. ADA1500 in a tri-amped system with a Legacy Audio Wavelet as the pre-amp, DAC, X-over and DSP and room correction. It all sounds very "analog" with no digital bite or HF irritation. Just my opinion  

I have a bryston 4B that I bought brand new in 1996 for 5400 and I would not trade it for anything it is a fabulous amp and will power and drive the most power hungry speakers out there. The only problem I have ever had was my fault back in 2018 i thought I would be a wise guy and crank the volume  as high as it could go and all I managed to do was blow up a pair of ADS  L8E speakers and clip the left Chanel of rhe amp having to have it repaired since now the red light was on in the front. My crazy actions set me back 500 dollars to bryston to go through and repair the amp. I have had no problems since. 1700 for a 4b is awsome the new 4B is now 8400. Take and match the 4B with a tube preamp and the sound is amazing. I just bought a brand new rogue rp7 preamp along with a pro ject tube box ds3b phono pre amp and the sound is pure bliss. There is not a lot of difference from the 4B you have from 97 and the one they make today other then the base that it can power. 2 years ago when I replaced my speakers with a pair of dynaudio special fortys and upgraded my sub with a rel s510 the sound is awsome and the base is as good or better then what the new 4b can do. For a quarter of the cost that the rel s510 puts out. If I was you I would have bryston refurbish the p you have and you will never need another one. Match it with a rogue tube preamp and you will have a amazing sound. The rp 1 starts at 2000 the rp5 is 3000 the rp7 is 5500.and the rp9 is 7500 all the rogue preamps are tube. The 1 and 5 have a phono section in them the 7 and 9 don't but have xlr inputs and outputs it is a trade off. I am big into vynal and with a linn table my set up is very sweet. Keep and rebuilt the 4B it is one of the best amps out there you won't regret a penny spent good luck Michael. 

Thanks so much for the product prices and timelines. I have spent some time looking for it. I have recently purchased a bp25, and got a 3bst a few years ago. Also have a couple of 2b and a .5b. Seems like a lot when I list it here—some nostalgia here. They do sound great. Debating whether to re cap the bp25–or at least the filter caps. If their upgrade service only replaces caps, I can do that. For some reason, I thought it was more…

goldbehen

Feel free to join Us over on the Thiel Owners thread. Model CS 2.4 is a honey of a loudspeaker. Bryston is a sonic match to boot. An ARC pre-amp will warm models 3b or 4b for those Audiophiles who feel (hear) brightness.

Happy Listening!