Bringing Bryston 4B back to 1997 new.

Recently I rescued a Bryston 4B off Facebook marketplace. It needs to be refurbished. Bryston will bring it back to 1997 new for $1400. That’ll bring my investment to $1700 all in. I’m thinking for the money I might be better off with a nice class D . I’d be powering Thiel CS 2.4’s. I have a Bryston BP 20 preamp Curious what you guys think. Go vintage or invest in the future?

goldbehen

Showing 1 response by yxcbandit

I sold Bryston retail for years, and they are spectacular amps and have excellent build quality. Renewing one is not a bad way to go. However for the same money you could buy a brand new Axiom Audio ADA1000 amp with 250 watts/ch and huge headroom in a very neutral sounding amp. FYI the owner of Axiom now owns Bryston. The Axiom amps are not typical class D, the have massive toroidal transformers and 60,000uf  of capacitance and weigh 44 pounds. Most importantly they sound amazing. The ADA-1000's class-D output stage (designed by Axiom) uses a high-current linear power supply that provides better performance than the switching supplies typical in class-D designs. Very uncolored. I am using a 4 ch. ADA1500 in a tri-amped system with a Legacy Audio Wavelet as the pre-amp, DAC, X-over and DSP and room correction. It all sounds very "analog" with no digital bite or HF irritation. Just my opinion