Bringing Bryston 4B back to 1997 new.

Recently I rescued a Bryston 4B off Facebook marketplace. It needs to be refurbished. Bryston will bring it back to 1997 new for $1400. That’ll bring my investment to $1700 all in. I’m thinking for the money I might be better off with a nice class D . I’d be powering Thiel CS 2.4’s. I have a Bryston BP 20 preamp Curious what you guys think. Go vintage or invest in the future?

goldbehen

Showing 2 responses by brunomarcs

You say Bryston brings it back to the out of date  specs?  Meaning 1997 or whatever year it was manufactured? Wouldn't it be preferable to upgrade the amp to 4B3 level? Or sst, or even sst2 which I believe they call that square? Perhaps that can't be done with an older model! Unless you need a warranty maybe find a local guy and have him replace the caps. I have 7B squared is what they call it for short. 

@goldbehen I too wouldn't be paying that for a new cube series but on the used market they can be found and still warranted for the remainder of years. I get a warmer presentation with a tube pre and the 7sq.  Probably though I'd be considered to have a bright system.