Bringing Bryston 4B back to 1997 new.

Recently I rescued a Bryston 4B off Facebook marketplace. It needs to be refurbished. Bryston will bring it back to 1997 new for $1400. That’ll bring my investment to $1700 all in. I’m thinking for the money I might be better off with a nice class D . I’d be powering Thiel CS 2.4’s. I have a Bryston BP 20 preamp Curious what you guys think. Go vintage or invest in the future?

goldbehen

Showing 2 responses by goldbehen

Thank you for your detailed response. I’m right behind you age wise. Lately I’ve been reading about  purifi amplifiers and what looks like an novel new way of amplification. Up till now nothing has come along that I thought was significantly better. I know the restored Bryston will be a great amplifier for many more years. To me it’s similar to current car choices. The Bryston in my mind would be like a Lexus. Smooth and reliable and a little luxury. Where the new D class amplifiers compare to a Tesla. More cutting edge,wave of the future.

Bryston doesn’t change existing circuitry . They do update caps and filters if they can. It will still be the same amplifier as it was when it was when manufactured. I’m not likely to be spending $7400 for the cube series.