Best CD I've heard so far 2011.........

Sarah Jarosz/Song Up In Her Head
Like a breath of fresh air, just great!
128x128rja

I reckon I'm not much of an audiophile, since the quality of the music is far more important to me than the quality of the sound. You can have Patricia Barber, and I'll take Billie Holiday. You can have Keb Mo, and I'll take Howlin' Wolf. For me, this hobby is just a means to an end--it's just the wave, not the water.

Plus, I think the new Simon record sounds pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. Horses for courses, as they say...
'I reckon I'm not much of an audiophile, since the quality of the music is far more important to me than the quality of the sound.'

You are exactly what an audiophile is supoosed to be. Don't let them intimidate you.
On heavy rotation at the moment is Dave Alvin's Eleven Eleven and John Doe's Keeper. Both are nice blasts of guitar-driven Americana. I really have loved the last five releases by Dave Alvin. Caught he and his brother Phil in 1980 when they were the Blasters. Dave's solo work kind of grows on me each and passing year. Always has an intimate soundstage, nice nuances of guitar playing (blues to country) and robust vocals.
Another from the fringes:

Shackleton & Pinch (ST)

UK bass super-union. Sam Shackleton, whose Skull Disco label, may it rest in peace, is to me the most interesting segment of that whole scene (always in heavy rotation here) while Rob Ellis aka Pinch has a near equally impressive resume as founder of Tectonic and his own list of Pinch releases.

This record is full of murky deep mountains of bass, tribal rhythms and sparse dubby grooves. To me, Shackleton sets himself apart from all the other UK bass artists with his use of percussion. Plenty of shakers, bells, cymbal crashes and hand drums weave in and out with eerie precision. As you can tell, I love this record. Shackleton has become a favorite of mine in general so I was pleasantly surprised that this album appeared a month before it's scheduled release.

Highly recommended.
Thank you Richard. I always love your suggestions, be they left or central of the dial.
Bongofury, I have followed up a few nice leads on music from your posts in the past including 'carried to dust' and 'may 1992'. I am enjoying americana lately. Which is your pick of all the Dave Alvin CDs? (music first, but also clean sounding)
Thanks Bongo, appreciate the encouragement. It's always been a joy to share music ideas with like minds, I enjoy your suggestions as well. I say it all the time here but this era is a special one for music. There is way more incredible stuff out there than I'll ever have the time to hear and even with the stuff I do, I post a pretty small segment of my faves. It's hard to gauge how far guys around here are willing to move off the mainstream. Heck, there are a bunch of great new rap albums I've been into lately but I don't think I have ever seen any rap recommended on this site. When it is brought up, sadly it's bashed and guys start to sound exactly like my Mom circa 1975!

Anyways...keep your recommendations coming and if you enjoy that Shackelton/Pinch record check out Shackelton's Fabric mix (I think it's Fabric 55 but not certain), his album titled 3EP's or the harder to find Soundboy Get's His Nut's Ground Up Proper EP (Skull Disco 3)...a personal fave. Another cool artist just a step beyond that is Senking, his album Pong being a good starting point (on Raster-Noton, a very interesting label). Senking gets much play in my home. If you do give them a go, let me know what you think.
Richard

Given your tastes in music, I suspect you are UK based? Correct?

I operate a variety of touring properties here in America and two clubs in SF and LA. I am always on the outlook for new talent before it breaks. We have a long history of showcasing artists who have gone on to become mainstream and music legends over 30 years. We have booked over 7,000 bands.

I really love the new music coming out of Manchester, North London and South London areas, especially artists like Burial and Laura Marling. These artists you highlighted are not on my radar. How did you come to them?

As for rap, I have already been flamed on this forum. My 30 year old daughter is a huge fan and I love her daily Youtube postings. I love the old school artists, especially Tribe Called Quest, which effortlessly merged jazz with hip hop.
Mike 60

Thanks. That means a lot. I also love the 6 CD acoustic box set by Paul Kelly called the A-Z Recordings. Amazingly recorded--just a voice and guitar. Hard to find, as it was issued only in Australia.

Dave Alvin has several great albums. I love West of the West, which was a collection of California-inspired songs by key Cali-based singer/song writers. Probably the best intro, but like heroin, you will keep coming back for more. :)
Bongo...much closer to the University of Kentucky than United Kingdom! I'm in Ohio. I pretty much spent the 70's and lord knows how long wasted digging through record bins looking for interesting music. It's just always been a passion and now I'm a grown as man with the same passion. Times have changed quite a bit and the internet has become the record bins to dig through. Instead of hanging out all weekend in record stores I jump on line after the wife goes to bed and listen away. There are endless amounts of blogs and music sites for every genre. Lately, I've really connected with the whole UK bass music stuff but that also has led me to German/Eastern European minimal and on and on. I still enjoy folk, americana and that whole thing but love me some variety.

That whole UK electronic scene is fascinating. It's really crossed over and now there is dubstep in a lot of the pop music being made in the US. Radiohead has been doing it longer than most mainstream artists and Thom Yorke is pretty much as much a part of UK bass music as he is indie rock. If you like Burial, he did some remixes and EP's with Thom Yorke as did a bunch of other guys from that scene. I think there is 8 or 9 EP's. Some from the last Radiohead record and some from Yorke's solo thing. There is also a single, Ego/Mirror, that's Burial/Thom Yorke/Four Tet on Hyperdub.

Gotta run but I could go on and on....
Richard

I saw his warm up dates with Atoms for Peace, his effort to peform his solo material live. Incredible. Flea from the PHCP plays bass. I heard they laid down some new tracks.
Bongo,

What's your LA club called?

I'm in Calabasas and always looking for interesting opportunities to see live performances. Our local club tends to be more nostalgia driven (good thing I like a lot of the old timers, too). I also get to McCabe's a few times a year to see quirkier artists - but they are often older, as well. Sounds like your approach is a bit different and might be worth checking out.

Anything to expand horizons is a good thing, AFAIC.

Marty
Opening in October 2012 in Newport Beach. We are building it out as we speak. 350 seats.
Little Roy "Battle for Seattle." Reggae covers of Nirvana songs. The arrangements are brilliant and the CD throws off a nice soundstage.
The year ain't over yet!

If you have a chance, listen to the new soundtrack to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo from Trent Reznor & Attica Ross. It opens with Karen O joining them for a remake of Zepplins The Immigrant song and it's wicked. Many of you will say this is sacrilege but fella's...blows the original away. Serious intensity....I recommend turning it up as loud as you are physically able. It's not a real indicator of whats to come as the record is mostly drone/ambient stuff but so so well done. This is a good one people.

I really enjoyed The Social Network OST, a very good record, but they obviously learned something from doing it and this is taken to a new level.
and...while I'm on the subject of soundtracks, I should mention the hauntingly beautiful soundtrack from The Cave Of Forgotten Dreams (Ernst Reijseger). Gorgeous cello performance with choral and piano. Very highly recommended. I have not had a chance to see the film yet but understand it is magnificent.
Audra Mae sang "Forever Young" on an episode of Sons of Anarchy which was not recorded on any of her cds. I have been looking for it ever since I heard it on the show. My first experience with her music.

Now, a compilation of songs from years 1-4 of the series is being released (Songs of Anarchy) and it is worth buying the cd for that track.

In an earlier post on this thread I mentioned being interested in some new music (I grew up with Holly, Redding, Joplin, Browne, and Zepplin music).

Well, I have ordered and received over forty of the titles mentioned on this thread along with some selections from Stereophile and Absolute Sound.

I have not played even half as yet but so far I have really enjoyed Civil Wars, Bon Iver, and James Blake.
OBrown...never heard of Audra Mae, gotta check her out. Glad we have all spent your money:) !

Since you like James Blake, he has a new EP and it's very very good, particularly the title track "Love What Happened Here" [R&S Records]. He also released a deluxe edition of the self titled album, a 2 disc set that contains his Enough Thunder EP and a few other odds and ends. I don't know what this whole "deluxe edition" trend is but it gets confusing for us music nerds.
Beth Hart + Joe Bonamassa - Don't Explain
Eilen Jewell - Queen of the Minor Key
My best find in 2011 was to purchase the soundtrack CD from “The Prince & Me”. While flipping channels one night to put the finishing touches on irritating my wife, I heard Marc Cohn’s voice singing Tom Waits’ “I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With You”. I hit the allmusic.com website and much to my surprise found there was a soundtrack album to possible one of the dumbest movies ever made.

Marc CohnÂ… Tom WaitsÂ… absolute magic.
It took me a few listens to get adjusted to the bands latest direction, but I've really warmed up to Incubus's album; "If not now, when?".
I think some of these bands / groups, spend as much time picking a catchy name for the CD / LP and the cover photo, as they do on the music itself. Another reason CD sales are down.
Calexico's 2011 "Selections from a Road Atlas" is sounding very promising the from samples I heard.
I think some of these bands / groups, spend as much time picking a catchy name for the CD / LP and the cover photo, as they do on the music itself. Another reason CD sales are down.

Are you suggesting the title and marketing image a band chooses for an album are not important and or inconsequential?

... Or are you just saying there are a lot of mediocre bands?
Richard Stacy, if you havent already, listen to The Audreys. Try their album 'When the Flood Comes'. Based on your posts I reckon you might like it. Could be wrong of course :)
Mike60...I have that along with another of the Audrey's albums. Very cool band. Apparently they are pretty popular in Australia but don't get much play in the US. I learned of them through Radio Paradise and ironically love the song Paradise City. Cool video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n86v6T5IvRs

Gotta add .... their singer is a sexy thing.
That Bill Callahan was pretty wonderful. "Disturbing the Air," the latest from Azita Youssefi (on Drag City) also knocked me out. But be careful, because Azita will take you on a lot of strange trips that might or might not include Bride of No No, and Scissor Girls.
Yes Richard, very nice .... the music also. Thanks for the link. That album is a great recording. I discovered them a few years ago and heard them again recently on Radio Paradise like you, and bought a few more.
I have purchased many of the cds mentioned on this thread and enjoyed a new musical horizon.

However, when I looked at the Audreys on Amazon I chose not to pay $45 and will not for any single cd.
Obrown...I paid around 20 for it. Give me a few and I will see if I can dig up where. Thats ridiculous.
http://store.theaudreys.com.au/

Amounts to about $25 shipped. I noticed they have a newer one so I think I may have to order one too....ugh.
I think that their first album "Between last night and us" is definitely well worth getting if you like their style.
I continue reviewing the 38 cds purchased since this thread began. By year end, I have listened to a whole new world of music, some enthralling and some so-so.

Rome is the last great cd I listened to.

I currently am playing the OST of The TATOO Lady(?) received this week and am totally taken aback that there are three discs in a beautiful package with absolutely no list of the tracks anywhere. There appears to be text on each of the discs but cannot be read since it would take a NASA telescope to read it. No insert, no words on the case, nothing.
Sorry for the delay. My wife fell Monday and I haven't been home.

In no particular order:

1) American Aquarium - The Bible and the Bottle

2) Feist - Metals

3) James Blake - James Blake

4) Danger Mouse - Rome

5) John Hiatt - Dirty Jeans & Mudslide Hymns

6) Hank 3 - Ghost to a Ghost

7) The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow

8) Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

9) Bon Iver - Bon Iver

10) The Deep Dark Woods - The Place I left Behind

I have not yet listened to the following:

Keb Mo - The Reflection
Levon Helm - Ramble at the Ryan
Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs - No Help Coming
Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - Don't Explain
John Vanderslice - White Wilderness
Laurie Anderson - Bright Red (1994)

I have really enjoyed just relaxing and listening the few hours I have had since I retired last Feb. after my wife fell and broke a hip and the the other hip in May.

You guys have helped me keep a little sanity. Music and faith have kept me from losing it.
I am really loving the new Calexico album, nice So Cal folk of Jonathan Wilson, and the PJ Harvey album. For vocals, hard not to love Florence + the machines.
Bongo...did not know those AZ boy's had a new record. I'm straight off to buy it, thanks for the post. Not a minute of Calexico music that I have not enjoyed and I think I have all of their albums. Supremely talented guys and one of my all time favorite drummers.
I heard a lot of good ones in 2011. One that stands out (from late 2010 actually)was "Brain Wilson Re-imagines Gershwin". It is pretty successful as a modern interpretation of Gershwin with Wilson's unique flair applied. Sounds great and an easy and very pleasant listen. Good vibrations indeed!
I think I also need to order that new Calexico as well. I have a lot of their stuff. Such a distinctive style, and everyone who hears them at my house likes them. Some tracks off the Black Light album are great test tracks for equipment for me.
Ok...I looked around and can't find a new Calexico? Were you referring to the anthology box set?
I haven't been able to locate the new Calexico locally on vinyl(my preferred medium), but hopefully will do so.

One of the best late arrivals in 2011 was Atlas Sound/Parallax. This is a Bradford Cox(Deerhunter) side project. It has the exotic shifting timbres of Deerhunter but better songcraft, a fascination with Fender single-coil sound like Tom Verlaine, and a stubborn individualism like Frank Black.