Best CD I've heard so far 2011.........

Sarah Jarosz/Song Up In Her Head
Like a breath of fresh air, just great!
128x128rja

Showing 10 responses by martykl

One more to look forward to:

The Feelies' (with both Bill Million and Glenn Mercer participating) new CD is due out on Tuesday, the 12th. It's their first new release in more than decade.

Marty

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll be sure to hunt down a few of the "chicks with banjo" recommendations.
Just spun thru the new Feelies CD "Here Before". Just what the doctor ordered! The first half picks up just where they left off on their last release (in 1991!) and the second half wanders off in somewhat new directions.
Okay,

Okay, I spun up Sarah J for the first time today, on the recommendation of half of A'gon's members. Is she the unholy offspring of Alison Krauss and Suzanne Vega? Or is there another comp that works better to describe her style?

I definitely need some time to digest this, but there's clearly something goin' on on this CD.

Marty
Just spun up a new one: Pete Thorn's "Guitar Nerd".

Peter Thorn is a top shelf LA session guy (Don Henley, Hole, Alicia Keyes, Melissa Etheridge, etc., etc.) who's just released his first solo album. It's a self indulgent, instrumental guitar strut that screams "look at me". But....

The music is better than you have any right to expect and the playing is pretty damn stunning. Definitely one of the few new artists who really barks up my preferred tree.

Marty
I should add one caveat on the Pete Thorn recommendation:

On a subtlety/nuance scale of 1 to 10, this rates a zero. Just some "in yer face" guitar fun, old school style.

Marty
"Seeds We Sow" from Lindsey Buckingham

(No surprise for those who've read my posts here before).

Nine of the eleven tracks on this CD are IMO wonderful songs, just about perfectly executed. Two others, the title track and "Stars are Crazy" probably suffer a bit from LB's desire to show off his chops, but still work reasonably well in their own right.

Disclaimer #1: This is a one-man band arrangement. LB wrote all, played all, recorded all. This has plusses and minuses - judicious editing (and maybe a guest drummer, tho LB holds his own) might have helped here and there.

Disclaimer #2: The SQ is just weird. It seems that LB wanted to create a particular atmosphere for each track, so the record may feel a bit incoherent on first listen, with some sound tracks underproduced and others more fully polished.

Disclaimer #3: More acoustic guitar on this one than electric. When he breaks out the elecrtic though, he doesn't kid around.

Disclaimer #4: Buckingham could take a dump on a plate and I'd probably find it compelling.

Marty
IIRC, the cinematic amulet in question indeed contains a "floater". I haven't followed LB into the loo just yet, but - then, again - I've never had the opportunity. Myabe it's for the best....
Speak for yourself, Marco.

I wear my oversize Todd Rundgren, Billy Gibbons, and Richard Thompson amulets rather smartly, I'd say.

It is possible, however, that this paricular issue has been fully digested (so to speak) and that the associated debate has (mercifully) run its course.
Bongo,

What's your LA club called?

I'm in Calabasas and always looking for interesting opportunities to see live performances. Our local club tends to be more nostalgia driven (good thing I like a lot of the old timers, too). I also get to McCabe's a few times a year to see quirkier artists - but they are often older, as well. Sounds like your approach is a bit different and might be worth checking out.

Anything to expand horizons is a good thing, AFAIC.

Marty