Best CD I've heard so far 2011.........

Sarah Jarosz/Song Up In Her Head
Like a breath of fresh air, just great!
128x128rja

Showing 29 responses by bongofury

Elbow, Adele, Brian Ferry, Cold War Kids, Warpaint,PJ Harvey, the Watson Twins, Doobie Brothers
I love the James Blake album. One of the most original albums to come out of the electronica genre. Equal to the recent albums by The XX and Burial at defining the London music scene.
Love the new album Rome. Very atmospheric. Love the vox of Nora Jones on this.
New Dale Earnhart Jr. Jr. Amazing witty music and band name. Genius out of Detroit.
Here are some new bands that deserve your attention. From NZ, a great new kiwi band is The Naked & Famous. From the UK, I love three new bands: Big Deal, Cat's Eyes and Polarsets.
Four U.S. Indie bands I love are Cults, Eisley, Givers, and WU LYF. For lovers of 70's and 80's AOR, I can highly recommend Eisley from Tyler, Texas.
Opening in October 2012 in Newport Beach. We are building it out as we speak. 350 seats.
Dale Earnhart Jr. Jr. Witty band name: incredible music that has echos of the Beatles. Highly recommended.
Agree with Richard Stacy. I have a really good source at a local record store that scouts records to my taste. I also find Q Magazine out of UK does extensive record reviews and I usually love their 4 and 5 star rated albums.
Personal taste is personal taste, but I have 40 new bands in heavy rotation on my iPod.
Love the new Laura Marling album. At 21 and three albums in, she feels like a young Joni Mitchell.
On heavy rotation at the moment is Dave Alvin's Eleven Eleven and John Doe's Keeper. Both are nice blasts of guitar-driven Americana. I really have loved the last five releases by Dave Alvin. Caught he and his brother Phil in 1980 when they were the Blasters. Dave's solo work kind of grows on me each and passing year. Always has an intimate soundstage, nice nuances of guitar playing (blues to country) and robust vocals.
Thank you Richard. I always love your suggestions, be they left or central of the dial.
Richard

Given your tastes in music, I suspect you are UK based? Correct?

I operate a variety of touring properties here in America and two clubs in SF and LA. I am always on the outlook for new talent before it breaks. We have a long history of showcasing artists who have gone on to become mainstream and music legends over 30 years. We have booked over 7,000 bands.

I really love the new music coming out of Manchester, North London and South London areas, especially artists like Burial and Laura Marling. These artists you highlighted are not on my radar. How did you come to them?

As for rap, I have already been flamed on this forum. My 30 year old daughter is a huge fan and I love her daily Youtube postings. I love the old school artists, especially Tribe Called Quest, which effortlessly merged jazz with hip hop.
Mike 60

Thanks. That means a lot. I also love the 6 CD acoustic box set by Paul Kelly called the A-Z Recordings. Amazingly recorded--just a voice and guitar. Hard to find, as it was issued only in Australia.

Dave Alvin has several great albums. I love West of the West, which was a collection of California-inspired songs by key Cali-based singer/song writers. Probably the best intro, but like heroin, you will keep coming back for more. :)
Richard

I saw his warm up dates with Atoms for Peace, his effort to peform his solo material live. Incredible. Flea from the PHCP plays bass. I heard they laid down some new tracks.
Little Roy "Battle for Seattle." Reggae covers of Nirvana songs. The arrangements are brilliant and the CD throws off a nice soundstage.
I am really loving the new Calexico album, nice So Cal folk of Jonathan Wilson, and the PJ Harvey album. For vocals, hard not to love Florence + the machines.
Road Atlas, a compilation of B-sides that they issued with each tour. "Griptape" is a new favorite.
Really like the new Horrors Skying and Jonathan Wilson's Gentile Spirit albums. Nice retro sounds. The Horrors sound like classic Simple Minds and Wilson recalls the CA singer songwriter period.