Best CD I've heard so far 2011.........

Sarah Jarosz/Song Up In Her Head
Like a breath of fresh air, just great!
128x128rja

Showing 26 responses by jax2

Indeed - that Sarah Jorosz CD is great. It came out in 2009 though. A bit more recent if you like her...perhaps...folksy, alt-country, girl with beautiful voice and string instruments...one of my favorites of recent is Martha Tilston, Lucy and the Wolves, and Emily Barker, Despite the Snow (ok that one is 2008, but it's just stunning). Also great - and actually released in 2011; Bobby Long, A Winter's Tale. More girls with banjos and amazing vocals - The Wailin' Jennys (any of their albums are great and they do have a new one just out - I like the live one at Mauch Opera House, which you can get in high rez at HD Tracks).
JDoris - The Jennys at the Mauch Opera House is wonderful. It's a great live recording that'll make you want to see them live if you have not already. I agree with you that Firecracker is not as strong as 40 Days, but I still like it. I haven't heard the new one yet.

Richard_stacy - ALWAYS great to hear your recommendations as you know we are virtually on the same page 90% of the time where this genre is concerned. Funny you mention Almanac as I downloaded it from their site in FLAC last night. I'll give it a listen today at work on. Anyone who strikes of Gillian Welch would be a must-hear in my book. She's another great one to see in concert with David Rawlings (was not as fond of his solo effort). Also disappointed with Frazey Ford's first solo album, Obidiah. As a huge fan of The Be Good Tanyas (and for anyone who has not heard them, run don't walk to pick up their three CD's, especially anyone who like Po' Girl). Frazey has a new solo album I have not heard yet that I'm curious enough to buy as I do love her voice and her writing. I just wish the Tanyas would come out with a new one, but I fear they are no longer as there are no tour dates listed and the site has not been updated in a while. Another good one I'm really warming up to is Cowboy Junkies, Demons (songs by Vic Chestnut). And how could I forget another great recent release by someone I can't get enough of: William Fitsimmons, Gold in the Shadow. If you were disappointed by Iron and Wine's latest, then try Fitzsimmons (any of his albums, really).
Speaking of chicks with banjos; Abigail Washburn's latest is pretty good, but did like her first best.
John - I'll have to give the new Frazey some more play time. Sometimes things grow on you after time, but after three plays nothing was really clicking with me. I was wrong about a new solo from her: I had gone to The Be Good Tanyas site and saw the promo for "Firecracker" which made it look like a new solo CD.

I do have Chestnutt's originals and agree with you on the comparison, but still enjoy the Junkies versions of his stuff too.

I will definitely check out Sera Cahoone - thanks!

Departing from chicks with strings, and going more into the melancholic male singer/songwriter...I've been really mesmerized by the sparse and haunting arrangements on the lone solo effort of Mark Hollis that someone introduced me to a few weeks ago (though it's an older release). It the self-titled CD.
Dgarretson....Maybe so but it is really a record that encompasses all of what is special about him...stripped down and poetic, reminiscent of his finest stuff like 1997's Smog "Red Apple Falls" or 2005 "A River Ain't Too Much To Love"...all with more maturity, confidence and in a way, more gentle. Folks will get him or they won't I'd guess. I just wanted to put it out there because it is not something that many of these guys would be exposed to without digging a bit.

That'd definitely be my speed, as you know, Richard. The two Smog titles you mention are probably my two favorites, with "A River..." being on top. I believe I have you to thank for introducing me to those! What a great sense of wit, and a wonderful use of language he has. In that same vein, and I might have mentioned him before in this thread, but there's a paralell in the starkness of the music, though, so I'll echo it once again - Mark Hollis solo, self-titled effort is just beautiful. Probably more austere than any of the Smog titles mentioned though, but with a very similar starkness and intelligence. Since then I've been checking out some of his stuff with Talk Talk and the much later titles from their efforts speak a similar language. The solo album (Mark Hollis) is my favorite though.
Yea Marco, I think you will really like that one but of all the nonsense I spew on this forum, I cannot recommend the new Mountain Goats, All Eternals Deck, highly enough. Especially knowing you....this is one I would say rush out and buy it tonight then listen to it over and over again. I have it on as I type and just can't stop loving it more and more. I really do think it's brilliant. It got me from track 1.

Listened to the samples you sent on YouTube - GREAT STUFF, Richard!! Loved all three cuts and great lyrics. He sounds like he could be Jeff Mangum's long lost brother (another one of my favorites). Some vids back at'cha. Do check out that Mark Hollis solo, I think you'll dig on it. Here's a vid (hardly a vid - a picture of the album cover) of my favorite cut, A New Jerusalem. It's not too challenging material (so your pansy-ass system should be up to the task ;-P - very sparse and stark, and quite slow paced (so don't expect no NWA, or the urge to dance in the streets - you may have the urge to slit your wrists though - iow not for everyone). Been enjoying another 2011 release that I'm sure you turned me on to (?) - Heidi Spencer, Under Streetlight Glow.
I've got to add one more that Richard_Stacy introduced me to, but hasn't mentioned yet. Especially in the light of the OP's initial mention of Sarah Jarosz....here's another young, original breath of fresh air: Sarah Jaffe. I've been listening to her 2010 release, Suburban Nature, and have her 2011 release on the way. Here's a great sense of what she's about that actually has excellent sound!
Rja (OP) - Sara Jarosz is in a feature story on NPR Music with links to two tracks from her new album released this month. Here's that link.
PS At the same link you can scroll down and find links to a story on Roger Waters new project, and one on Over the Rhine (one of my personal favorites).
Here's the link to Sarah Jarosz new album, released yesterday.

Also, do check out the Over the Rhine interview from the NPR link. Their new album, The Long Surrender, is here.
Thanks to Marco and the other folks that suggested Sarah Jarosz new release. Fine fine record. What a young talent! Watched her youtube vids of the Austin City Limits performance and just loved them. That is one heck of a band. She sounds much like the second coming of Gillian Welch. The girl can flat out play guitar + banjo.

Yo, Richard - You know Gillian's got a new one (FINALLY!!) coming out on the 28th of this month. I'm still digging big time on Sara Jaffe too, though the brand new EP was a bit of a disappointment compared to Suburban Nature (big shoes to fill though, so it's not half bad). Also warming up to Josh T. Pearson. Really enjoying The Mountain Goats too - great lyrics. So thanks to your recommendations as well! Got a smile off that pimp-daddy sh!t you forwarded the other day too. Yeah, that's just the way I roll, dog. Cassius got my back door and Captain's riding shotgun. Word to Elvis and that momma's boy Omar.

Keepin' it real in the hood, yo.

Marco
Hey Richard - I just listened to the NPR Tiny Desk Concert by King Creosote and Jon Hopkins - great stuff indeed! Thanks.
Gillian Welch fans should like the new one. Probably not up to the masterpiece Time, and perhaps not quite up to the excellent Revival and Soul Journey, but very fine. The standout may be "The Way it Goes," which exemplifies her trademark understated creepiness.

Agreed - it's a good album, but does not reach the same heights as previous efforts. It has a slower pace and is not quite as dark. I'm going to see her tonight in concert and will be curious to see how some of this translates to live performance. Rawlings is always amazing to watch regardless - can't believe the sounds he gets from the Epiphone sometimes.

Someone introduced me to a powerful album in another forum. Not from this year, but this was my introduction to him. An entirely a capella recording of Nimrod Workman, a Kentucky cole miner, singing his own and traditionals. Stark and unsettling at times, and also quite lovely. He must have been in his 80's or 90's when this was recorded. The album is called, I Want to Go Where Things Are Beautiful, and came out in 2008, posthumously. If you like authentic Appalachian traditionals, definitely check this out.
Hey Jax. Sounds like you've Gillian before. Be prepared for a slow show, and try to get seats. When I saw her and DR, they did "Tennesse Stud" at roughly the pace of a Grateful Dead dirge. Charming stuff, but not Dancin' Music.

Nothing, I repeat, nothing on any of her albums prepares you for what they are like live. I so disagree with you on this, John. I saw her and David play the Moore years ago just after they released Revelator. I was braced for a bit of boredom then but was riveted the entire show and was amazed how two artists with guitars and no backkup could hold an entire audience so spellbound for an entire show. The show last night was sold out and had people standing on their feet and calling them back to a standing ovation twice after playing two sets already. Rawlings is a gifted guitar player and it's just amazing the sounds he coaxes from that old Epiphone. His musical improvisation is mindboggling. He is one with that guitar and speaks with it as naturally as trees sway in the wind or the the waves break against the shore. Gillian's voice is powerful and yet somehow soothing at the same time. They complement each other so well, and exude an uplifting and powerful energy in spite of the dark content of many of their songs. I'm very glad they mixed it up, playing only about 1/4 of the show from the new CD. I think an entire show from the new CD would indeed be too slow. Just like the first show, Rawlings had the audience mesmerized at his playing - one of the highlights was Time the Revelator, where his solo rif prompted a standing ovation in the middle of the song and a thunderous standing ovation from the entire audience at its conclusion. Another was the closing song, on their second encore, a uniquely inspired cover of Jefferson Airplane's, White Rabbit. Outstanding show - best I've been to in a long while and I distinctly remember feeling the same way the first time I saw them. They are heading up to the Vancouver Folk Festival next where there part of a great lineup there (though I'm not fond of outdoor venues and crowds). Richard, I'll never give up live music entirely. I've just become far more selective about who I see and especially of the venue. The Moore is an excellent musical venue, and having seen them there before I knew it would suit them very well. Just an outstanding show! If you get a chance to see them live, and you like their music, don't miss it.
Glad you enjoyed the show, Jax. They are in St. Louis in Sept. Maybe I'll try again on the supposition that your experience was more representative than mine; could be one or both of us was having an off nite. John

Well, that'd be two off-nights for me, and if that's an off-night, I hope to have many more. Definitely give them another chance - I'll look for your response come September. Meanwhile, here's a vid to offset that 'slow' comment...when you hear this live, it knocks you back in your seat and you realize you've got a big stupid grin on your face that you didn't remember having when you walked in. The chemistry between the two of them is just addictive. I can understand the comment as it applies to some of their tunes, but not the bulk of the show. Certainly not to either show of theirs I've seen. I do think their newest CD is mostly slow material though, and that it could have used a better balance that way. I also had good seats in a good venue (same one both times). I've heard one or two of my favorite artists entirely ruined by a bad venue. Yes, and certainly by an off night. I hope you have a better experience of them next time.
The debut album from husband/wife team The Tedeschi Trucks band (album titles is Revelator). I think this album is tremendous.

OK, that's the third time I've heard that in three days so I'm going to have to give it a listen. Thanks for that, I do enjoy the wife's solo stuff.
Disclaimer #4: Buckingham could take a dump on a plate and I'd probably find it compelling.

LMAO. You don't have a dried Lindsey Buckingham turd in an amulet around your neck, do you?
I had to revisit that scene to be reminded the Abba turd was actually embalmed in some fluid.
IIRC, the cinematic amulet in question indeed contains a "floater". I haven't followed LB into the loo just yet, but - then, again - I've never had the opportunity. Myabe it's for the best....

Yeah, the mind reels with unpleasant possibilities... you may come face to face with an LB turd in dry dock, which would make the task of extraction a bit more delicate in order to keep the artifact in tact. That scenario also might require a much larger amulet, and let me tell you a large amulet could look really silly hanging around a man's neck. Yes, definitely for the best, Marty, I'd have to agree.
Correction on that Stephen Stills recommendation from a few posts back: The album was called, "Stills Alone".
As an example, I heard an interesting song at the end of last night's CSI NY that I want to track down. Beautiful.

A quick web search revealed that was "If I Fall Behind" by Bruce Springsteen.

I love Antony (with or without his Johnsons), btw. I know Richard does as well.

For Alt radio, try streaming KEXP (local to me, here in Seattle).
Richard - glad you are enjoying one of my favorite bands - Yours Truly is on its way - I could not believe there was disc of theirs I actually didn't have.

The new Tom Waits studio album, Bad as Me, is coming right up too later this month!!! His latest stuff has been more challenging, but no less brilliant. Can't wait! Another at the very top of my list.
Richard - there are two DVD's that I'm aware of that are of 16 Horsepower live. I have both. One is a live concert DVD and the other is mixed and includes all their videos (only a few, but all are very good). The two, especially the live concert, really capture the intensity of David Eugene Edwards on stage.
Hey, Thanks Richard. I'm writing from RMAF - I do like Will Oldham, as you know and had no idea he had a new one. Been enjoying the crap out of Diamond Mine! Not the stuff of audiophile dreams but a great album - raw and simple and right to the heart. Hey, one of the more enjoyable rooms today had your Sasha's in it using Dagastinos new amps - just a tad hot on top though - can't recall what amp you are using - you were in the process of pippin' up your amp last time I remember.

Looking forward to hearing the new Tom Waits. Got the 16 Horsepower, Yours Truly and that remains on frequent rotation too with some great live cuts on there that put a new spin on old favorites. Buckner is on the way. I heard him do an intimate show at the Tractor Tavern here - great stuff, but prefer his acoustic stuff to the electric, as you might have guessed. Heard a few nice cuts of music in rooms today. Don't think any are from recent years so don't necessarily belong in this thread. But I don't get on the forums that often so I'll take advantage of your hospitality as a recommendation platform.

Azad Ali - Portals of Grace
Bradford Marsalis - Trio Jeepy
Stephen Stills - self-titled
I think some of these bands / groups, spend as much time picking a catchy name for the CD / LP and the cover photo, as they do on the music itself. Another reason CD sales are down.

Are you suggesting the title and marketing image a band chooses for an album are not important and or inconsequential?

... Or are you just saying there are a lot of mediocre bands?