$300-$500 Cartridge for Thorens TD-1601 Turntable

Hello.  I am considering the purchase a Thorens TD-1601 TT.  My dream table, so please don't try to talk me out of it.  Trying to decide a good cartridge to go with it.  I am a higher-end, Mid-Fi kind of guy, pretty darn good is good enough.  I value ease and reliability over esoteric.  The TT will be a splurge.   Relevant Info:

• Budget $300-$500
  • Moving Magnet (simplicity, more connectivity options)
  • Natural/organic sound.  No fatigue or harshness!
  • Robust and durable. No breaky.
  • Connect either to Parasound Z-Phone Pre and/or Vintage Sansui AU-5900 integrated (newly refurbished)
  • Current speakers: Paradigm SE-1 or Classic Dynaco A-25 (Speakers will be upgraded one day).
  • I play a good bit of used vinyl, though I clean them with a VPI vacuum machine, and discard the scratchy ones.
  • I like the idea of being able to replace/upgrade the stylus over time.
  • Buying the TT now because my old Dual CS-5000 needs service and I'm ready to move on.
  • Small wood-paneled room.  There will be no room treatments.

Looking for a good match, organic sound, durability and ease.  Cartridges under consideration are, inno preference order are (sample prices for reference):

• Nagaoka:  MP-150 ($300), MP-200 ($425)
  • Grado: Opus 3 ($275), Platinum 3 ($400)
  • AT: VM95SH ($200 low cost Shibata), VM750SH ($450)
  • Ortofon: 2M Bronze ($500), 2M Black ($545 from Germany)
  • Sumiko: Wellfleet ($450), Amethyst ($600)

Thanks in advance for your input.  

gemoody

I would go with the Grado! FYI: You can't replace the stylus on those wood Grado's!

thanks @yogiboy. Look like you use a Grado in your rig.  If you have time, wondering which characteristics you think match my request? TIA

You said you are looking for organic sound and that would be the Grado. The Grado would be a good match with the Thorens arm. My friend has the Opus 3 and he claims it is on par with his thousand dollar Dynavector mc!

Here is a review!

Grado Timbre Series Opus3 Phono Cartridge - Positive Feedback (positive-feedback.com)

Another review!

Grado Timbre Series, Opus3 - The Absolute Sound

The MP-200 (based upon reviews and your list).

I use Grado Prestige Silver with my vintage Thorens TD125II/SME combo (love it), but the Nagaoka would not involve remounting a cartridge body when replacing the stylus.

I prefer a harmonically rich sound, thus my preference for Grado and the (based upon reviews) MP-200.

You might also consider the current version of the Grado Prestige series.

DeKay

It's always subjective, but the better Nags are very musical (organic?) with excellent transparency and a huge stage IME.  The step to the boron cantilever is significant when you get to the MP200.  You could upgrade to the JN-P500 stylus later when the JN-p200 wears out, and take things to another level.  

great input, thank you.  I was leaning to the Nagaoka and the Grado based on the sound qualities.  Any other input on what constitutes a good fit, or ease of setup, or good synergy?  This is where I have a lot to learn.  Also, open to carts that are not on my lists.  

You're likely to find that the synergy is unique to each system, so it's often sort of a shot in the dark to some degree.  I had a Grado Signature 8 years ago that was smooth and not overly bright sounding, but also leaned toward the dull and uninvolving side.  I find the Nag MP200 body with the JN-500 stylus to be incredibly open, inviting, and easy to listen too...to my ears, it has the right kind of delicate detail without a hint of shrillness.  If your system is more on the forward/bright side, the Grado could be a good fit....if it's more neutral, the Nag could sing for you.  

Well,

I think the Audio Technica AT540ML is the best starter MM cartridge

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/cartridges/type/moving-magnet/vm540ml

Advanced Microline Stylus Profile, better for both used and new LPs. Cost more than elliptical, but last longer, thus price difference over time is not much.

https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/stylus-shape-information

Imaging will be improved by having it’s wide channel separation, 28db; and it’s tight channel balance, 1.0 db. No to the VM95, it has only 23 db separation, and less tight center balance, 1,5 db

Note: for improved imaging: in addition to opinions regarding it's sound check separation and balance specs of any cartridge you consider. If you later upgrade the stylus profile, the body and internal motor will limit it's reduced imaging characteristics.

It sounds terrific as well.

Replaceable stylus

I only wish your TD-1601 came with an arm with a removable headshell like their TS-1500 does. Perhaps the other differences are very slight.

Then, get same cartridge pre-mounted on a headshell,

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/cartridges/type/moving-magnet/vm540ml-h

now you have two cartridges for different groove types, or use one cartridge to reduce wear on the better cartridge when playing ’not too special’ LPs, i.e. great songs, but not special musicianship or great engineering........................................

Have or Acquire cartridge mount/align/tools skills?

IF changing the supplied cartridge to the one you buy, ...

When stylus wears out .......

You know more, want to try MC finally

Want an alternate MONO cartridge (definitely better for mono lps than playing mono with stereo cartridge in your preamp’s mono mode IF it has that option!

In any case, happy listening

My experience has been very similar to @knotscott in regards to Nagaoka vs Grado. I own and enjoy the Nag MP-500 and the Nag 50th Anniversary JT-80 BK. Both are wonderful sounding. I have not heard the MP-200, but based on reviews, it should be closest to the JT-80 BK in sound.

Thanks to all for the superb input. I continue to lean toward the Nagaoka MP-200.

OK, this is where my knowledge gets thin. I have heard the terms high/low compliance cartridge, not sure what it means... More to the point, would the Nagaoka MP-200 be a good match for the TP-92 arm on the Thorens TD-1601.

Thanks G

You can trade it in for the same amount as what a new stylus would have been.  Plus, they just introduced the Vasari Shibata that you could trade up to, if wanted.

Granted, you would have to take off and put back on the cart.

This is a fantastic cartridge, (the Donatello Gold is really good also) that flies way under the radar...

Another cartridge that I absolutely love is the Goldring E3.  You might find it's all you want and/or need.  A savvy shopper can find one for around $115.00.  Sleeper cart of the decade, IMHO.

Try one...

Love the Nagaoka 200—would look no further. Absolutely superb cartridge. Funny, if I ever buy a new table …will look very seriously at the 1601. Let me know how it works out if you go that way.

I would personally avoid the Ortofon Bronze, FWIW.

Great counsel, much appreciated.

Bonus question, With no regard to brand, etc., what shape stylus would produce the least background noise on older less-than-perfect records?