$300-$500 Cartridge for Thorens TD-1601 Turntable

Hello.  I am considering the purchase a Thorens TD-1601 TT.  My dream table, so please don't try to talk me out of it.  Trying to decide a good cartridge to go with it.  I am a higher-end, Mid-Fi kind of guy, pretty darn good is good enough.  I value ease and reliability over esoteric.  The TT will be a splurge.   Relevant Info:

• Budget $300-$500
  • Moving Magnet (simplicity, more connectivity options)
  • Natural/organic sound.  No fatigue or harshness!
  • Robust and durable. No breaky.
  • Connect either to Parasound Z-Phone Pre and/or Vintage Sansui AU-5900 integrated (newly refurbished)
  • Current speakers: Paradigm SE-1 or Classic Dynaco A-25 (Speakers will be upgraded one day).
  • I play a good bit of used vinyl, though I clean them with a VPI vacuum machine, and discard the scratchy ones.
  • I like the idea of being able to replace/upgrade the stylus over time.
  • Buying the TT now because my old Dual CS-5000 needs service and I'm ready to move on.
  • Small wood-paneled room.  There will be no room treatments.

Looking for a good match, organic sound, durability and ease.  Cartridges under consideration are, inno preference order are (sample prices for reference):

• Nagaoka:  MP-150 ($300), MP-200 ($425)
  • Grado: Opus 3 ($275), Platinum 3 ($400)
  • AT: VM95SH ($200 low cost Shibata), VM750SH ($450)
  • Ortofon: 2M Bronze ($500), 2M Black ($545 from Germany)
  • Sumiko: Wellfleet ($450), Amethyst ($600)

Thanks in advance for your input.  

gemoody

Showing 1 response by nwres

My experience has been very similar to @knotscott in regards to Nagaoka vs Grado. I own and enjoy the Nag MP-500 and the Nag 50th Anniversary JT-80 BK. Both are wonderful sounding. I have not heard the MP-200, but based on reviews, it should be closest to the JT-80 BK in sound.