100 Albums You Would wish for...from a Genie

This thread was inspired by this thread:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/building-a-100-album-vinyl-collection-3-must-have-albums-are

Please add to the above list. Thanks!

Okay, here is my premise for this:

I find an very odd, really old record in the $.99 cent bin in the back corner of some old, dusty record store. I pull the LP from the sleeve and a Genie appears. He says I can have any equipment/gear I want. Speakers, amp, preamp, etc. Just name it, (mbl Master Reference System and a custom room for it please.)...

...but, I can only have 100 albums forever to play on it. No "Best Of" or "Greatest Hits". No Box Sets or Compilations. Soundtracks are fine if original score, no Compilations. Double and Triple LP’s count as one album. (This Genie was very detailed in his instructions. He kinda looked like Donald Fagen).

What 100 albums would they be?

(I know I fudged on a rule or two, on a few of mine).

1. Allman Brothers-Idlewild South

2. Amazing Rhythm Aces-Too Stuffed To Jump

3. April Wine-Harder, Faster

4. Atlanta Rhythm Section-Red Tape

5. Bad Company-Straight Shooter

6. The Band-The Last Waltz

7. The Beatles-Abbey Road

8. The Beatles: Rubber Soul

9. Jeff Beck-Live At Ronnie Scott’s

10. Blackberry Smoke-The Whippoorwill

11. Blackfoot-Strikes

12. Karla Bonoff-Restless Nights

13. Boston-Boston

14. Jackson Browne-Late For The Sky

15. Jimmy Buffett-Songs You Know By Heart

16. Charlie-Lines

17. Chicago-Chicago Transit Authority

18. Eric Clapton-461 Ocean Boulevard

19. Eric Clapton-Slowhand

20. Marc Cohn-Marc Cohn

21. Shawn Colvin-Fat City

22. Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions

23. Creedence Clearwater Revival-Cosmo’s Factory

24. Crosby, Stills & Nash-Daylight Again

25. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young-Deja Vu

26. Christopher Cross-Christopher Cross

27. Miles Davis- Bitches Brew

28. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

29. Dire Straits-Making Movies

30. Doobie Brothers-Toulouse Street

31. Eagles-The Long Run

32. Electric Light Orchestra-Out Of The Blue

33. Emerson, Lake & Palmer-Works Volume 1

34. Melissa Etheridge-Brave And Crazy

35. Donald Fagen-The New York Rock And Soul Review

36. Donald Fagen-The Nightfly

37. Fleetwood Mac-Rumours

38. Foghat-Foghat

39. Genesis-Invisible Touch

40. Hall & Oates-Private Eyes

41. George Harrison-All Things Must Pass

42. Head East-Flat As A Pancake

43. Heart-Dreamboat Annie

44. John Hiatt-Slow Turning

45. Hootie And The Blowfish-Cracked Rear View

46. Bruce Hornsby & The Range-The Way It Is

47. Indigo Girls-Nomads, Indians & Saints

48. J. Giles Band-Bloodshot

49. James Gang-Straight Shooter

50. Jefferson Airplane-Red Octopus

51. Billy Joel-The Stranger

52. Elton John-Goodbye Yellowbrick Road

53. Rickie Lee Jones-Rickie Lee Jones

54. Kansas-Leftoverture

55. Kiss-Dressed To Kill

56. Mark Knopfler -Shangri La

57. Alison Krauss-Forget About It

58. Little River Band-First Under The Wire

59. The Liz Barnez Band-Inkmarks On Pages

60. Shelby Lynne-Just A Little Lovin’

61. Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays-As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls

62. Steve Miller-Book Of Dreams

63. Joni Mitchell-Hissing of Summer Lawns

64. Van Morrison – Moondance

65. New Riders Of The Purple Sage-The Adventures Of Panama Red

66. Stevie Nicks-Bella Donna

67. Tom Petty-Damn The Torpedoes

68. Poco-Legend

69. The Police-Zenyatta Mendatta

70. Queen-The Works

71. REO Speedwagon-Ridin’ The Storm Out

72. Robbie Robertson-Robbie Robertson

73. Linda Ronstadt-Simple Dreams

74. Roxy Music -Avalon

75. Rush-2112

76. Sawmill Creek-Wild Western Windblown Band

77. Bob Seger-Night Moves

78. Paul Simon-Still Crazy After All These Years

79. Bruce Springsteen-Born To Run

80. Steely Dan-Aja

81. Steely Dan - Gaucho

82. Steely Dan-Two Against Nature

83. Styx-Crystal Ball

84. Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman

85. Joss Stone-The Soul Sessions

86. Supertramp- Crime of the Century

87. Richard and Linda Thompson- Shoot Out The Lights

88. Toto-Hydra

89. Traffic-Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys

90. Trooper-Knock ’Em Dead Kid

91. Robin Trower-Bridge of Sighs

92. The Wallflowers-Bringing Down The Horse

93. Joe Walsh-The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get

94. Wings-Band On The Run

95. Wings-Venus And Mars

96. The Wonderful Sounds of Female Vocals

97. The Wonderful Sounds of Male Vocals

98. Yes-Fragile

99. Warren Zevon-Warren Zevon

100. ZZ Top-Tres Hombres

This is just for fun. I found a ton of albums off the thread, listed at the top, that I had forgot about. Was hoping to find even more. If you want to participate, cool! If not, please don’t.

I’m by no means expecting everyone to add a list of 100 titles. I thought it was a blast, but did take some time.  I've also had a blast going back and relistening to a lot of these.  Man, I sure missed them.

Play if you want...

(This is by no means a final, definitive list. Probably hundreds of more albums await...)

128x128mofimadness

Well,

I've just made a discovery today on Geometric Lullaby label

their list of albums is not large, but I want them all NOW. I'll try to chat with my close friend record store owner on how to get discounted bundle deal of all at once on vinyl, simply because I really cannot wait for Genie and my turn is only in about several years :)

There's also a documentary on these albums. It would seem like the author of these albums of music and lyrics was on the path of committing suicide, but since it was just an illusion, these albums can be purchased at relatively affordable price :)

DISCLAIMER. I'm absolutely in NO WAY neither trying to sell those on discogs nor trying to sell pretty much anything. I do only share experience and my current "target"

Only one jazz album is worthy of being on your list? No John Coltrane’s Blue Train even? Hmmm. 

@mofimadness 

nice list !!!! 

did you know Styx is not in the rock & roll hall of fame !

bridge of sigh’s.      Classic 

jeff

@waltersalas: Your list contains not only many of my favorite artists, but the same album from each I myself would choose. Iris DeMent's My Life, for instance. I wasn't going to contribute to this discussion, but I feel  myself weakening. 😉

I would do it by starting at "A" and moving forward through the alphabet (my Pop albums are so organized), rather than coming up with 100 albums from memory. 

@waltersalas...excellent choices sir!  Some great titles on there!!!

I took out "Best Ofs" & "Box Sets" so we would have to really think about the "album" as a whole.

Also, I see a lot of titles from the lists that I love, but remember, these 100 albums are all we have to listen to...forever.  I like quite a few of the choices, but once or twice through would be more than enough for me.

@bdp24

I'm very sensitive to harsh highs and as I don't have the option of following the embedding advice of  @mahgister (my system in in our living room), I try to be very careful with gear choices. Nevertheless, I unintentionally ended up with too forward a presentation earlier in the year., after replacing my Moon transport with a Jay's.

At first, I was seduced by the significant increase in resolution. Resolution had never been a top priority for me, so this level of detail was a novelty. However, as time went on, I found myself listening less and less. I reached a point where after 30 seconds of music, I had to turn off the system.

Utilizing advice from forum members, I was able to identify and address the problemmatic parts of the signal chain. It's hard to say whether the system has any less detail, now. If it does, I don't miss it. Still, there are some particularly poor-sounding CDs I've had to get rid of. So, for those who don't have a well treated room, it would appear to be a balancing act -- having enough resolution to make for a convincing presentation, without pushing it so far that it becomes fatiguing. 

Without a doubt, my list would be a little different if I could use box sets (Howlin' Wolf, James Brown, Ornette, etc.) or best ofs (Creedence, George Jones, etc.) and would be subject to endless editing upon closer inspection, but this was nevertheless a fun exercise of compiling a hundred albums I will always play fondly and that have shaped me, for better or worse:

1. Big Star – “Radio City”
  2. Beatles  -- “Rubber Soul”
  3. Flying Burrito Brothers – “The Gilded Palace of Sin”
  4. Yo La Tengo – “I Can Still Hear the Heart Beating as One”
  5. Miles Davis – “In a Silent Way”
  6. Miles Davis – “Kind of Blue”
  7. Television – “Marquee Moon”
  8. Rolling Stones—“Sticky Fingers”
  9. Rolling Stones – “Exile on Main Street”
  10. Thelonious Monk – “Brilliant Corners
  11. James Carter – “Chasin’ the Gypsy”
  12. Billie Holiday – “Lady Day”
  13. Lucinda Williams – “Car Wheels on a Gravel Road”
  14. Lucinda Williams – “Sweet Old World”
  15. R.E.M – “Murmur
  16. R.E.M – “Automatic for the People”
  17. Joni Mitchell – “Blue”
  18. Los Lobos – “Colossal Head”
  19. Richard and Linda Thompson – “Hokey Pokey”
  20. R/L Thompson – “I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight”
  21. R/L Thompson – “Shoot Out the Lights”
  22. The Replacements – “Pleased to Meet Me”
  23. The Feelies – “The Good Earth”
  24. X – “Wild Gift”
  25. New York Dolls – S/T
  26. Sonic Youth – “Daydream Nation”
  27. Jason and the Scorchers – “Fervor” (EP)
  28. Ornette Coleman – “Of Human Feelings”
  29. Ornette Coleman – “In All Languages”
  30. Wussy – “Attica”
  31. Massive Attack – “No Protection”
  32. James McMurtry – “It’s Complicated”
  33. George Jones – “Tenth Anniversary”
  34. Minutemen – “Double Nickels on the Dime”
  35. The Greencards – “Viridian”
  36. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band – “Will the Circle Be Unbroken,” Vol.1
  37. Neil Young – “Decade”
  38. Neil Young – “Rust Never Sleeps”
  39. Neil Young – “Tonight’s the Night”
  40. Sparklehorse – “It’s a Wonderful Life”
  41. Bob Marley and the Wailers – “Legend”
  42. Steely Dan – “Can’t Buy a Thrill”
  43. Steely Dan – “Pretzel Logic”
  44. Tom Waits – “SwordfishTrombones”
  45. Velvet Underground – S/T (third album)
  46. Velvet Underground and Nico
  47. Lou Reed – “The Blue Mask”
  48. Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins – “Rabbit Fur Coat”
  49. Pavement – “Brighten the Corners”
  50. Sleater Kinney – “Dig Me Out”
  51. Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Cosmo’s Factory”
  52. Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Willy and the Poor Boys”
  53. Howlin’ Wolf – “Moanin’ in the Moonlight”
  54. Leonard Cohen – “Songs of Leonard Cohen”
  55. Leonard Cohen – “Ten New Songs”
  56. John Prine – S/T
  57. Richard Hell and the Voidoids —“Blank Generation”
  58. Iris Dement – “My Life”
  59. Silos – “Cuba”
  60. Gram Parsons – “Grievous Angel”
  61. Husker Du – “New Day Rising”
  62. Husker Du – “Zen Arcade”
  63. Bill Evans – “Sunday at the Village Vanguard”
  64. Sonny Rollins – “Silver City”
  65. Charlie Parker – “The Legendary Dial Masters”
  66. Professor Longhair – “Crawfish Fiesta”
  67. The Ramones – “Road to Ruin”
  68. Elvis Costello – “King of America”
  69. Oliver Nelson – “Blues and the Abstract Truth”
  70. Willie Nelson – “Spirit”
  71. The Jayhawks – “Rainy Day Music”
  72. Fleetwood Mac – “Rumours”
  73. Dave Holland – “Conference of the Birds”
  74. John Coltrane – “Live at the Village Vanguard”
  75. John Coltrane – “A Love Supreme”
  76. Fountains of Wayne – “Welcome Interstate Managers”
  77. The Go-Betweens – “Liberty Belle and the Diamond Express”
  78. The Go-Betweens – “Tallulah”
  79. Grant McLennan – “Horsebreaker Star”
  80. The Band – S/T
  81. The Band – “Music from Big Pink”
  82. Pink Floyd – “Wish You Were Here”
  83. The Pixies – “Bossanova”
  84. Van Morrison – “Moondance”
  85. Van Morrison – “Astral Weeks”
  86. Luna – “Penthouse”
  87. Led Zeppelin – “III”
  88. Archers of Loaf – “Vee Vee”
  89. Prince – “The Gold Experience”
  90. Prince – “Sign o’ the Times”
  91. The Pretenders – S/T
  92. Nirvana – “MTV Unplugged Live in New York”
  93. Bob Dylan – “Highway 61 Revisited”
  94. Bob Dylan – “Blonde on Blonde”
  95. Freedy Johnston – “Can You Fly?”
  96. The Stooges – “Funhouse”
  97. The Modern Lovers – S/T
  98. Old 97s – “Fight Songs”
  99. Talking Heads – “Remain in Light”
  100. The Wrens – “The Meadowlands”

I've made my "desert island list" many times. Yo Lo Tengo is a perennial pick. "We Be Sailin'" by B W Stevenson HAS to be there, and John Prine, my sing along records... it's lonely on a desert island. Today, Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" Flat Duo Jets. The Residents, Silver Apples, Red Crayolas, Stereo Lab, George Antheil, Zappa, Ornette Coleman, Sarah Vaughn, Patsy Cline, Beethoven's 3rd.... But this is a WISH list, right?

Is it about my favorite music, things I already have, or can get? Like, give me a pristine copy of something I have? I don't like to be limited, I don't want to be boxed, what a chance to explore. So, I would ask a Djinn for the obscure, the rumored, the forgotten, the runs of 100 pressings, the things a Djinn would have in their collection... not record club or played to death on FM. Not my favorites, so much, but things that could become favorites. I might say something like, "I want 100 albums I didn't know existed, so surprise me" and then add them to the shelves, after auditioning...and being surprised ;)

but that's just me. go ahead, make it 100 copies of signed "Born in the USA" and I'll sell them on Fleece bay

"Super revealing gear" is not necessaraly a true qualitative system ....

True audiophile system/room make any recording better even the bad recording...

Many confuse details and bright...

Natural timbre sound  is the mark of a great system not  "details" coming from brightness...

Acoustics basic...

@bdp24 This is a great point you make about super-revealing gear causing less-than-stellar recordings to be more pronounced in their less-than-stellarness.  
Tough thing about such listening habits.  
I suppose if one only listens to music that was recorded immaculately, the high-end stuff pays off marvelously.  
Listening to roughly recorded music exclusively makes the money, time and effort spent on maximized fidelity with home audio a really dicey proposition. 
Really tough for folks who have a super diverse taste for music.

Everything sound better in a well optimized and well embedded system...

If not, there is a synergy problem or perhaps an acoustic factor not well done...

Everything sound good in my 2 system even the worst recording ... They sound better than they ever did...

Then..........

One of the reason for this "problem" is that many audiophile confuse musical natural sounding system with "more detailed" one and especially brighter one...

One real "problem" for me is that a fair amount of my favorite music was recorded "indifferently" or worse. And if a system is a little "too good" (i.e ruthlessly revealing), those kind of recordings may become somewhat unpleasant to listen to.

One real "problem" for me is that a fair amount of my favorite music was recorded "indifferently" or worse. And if a system is a little "too good" (i.e ruthlessly revealing), those kind of recordings may become somewhat unpleasant to listen to.

In my experience, a very transparent tweeter like a planar-magnetic, electrostatic, or ribbon may not make poor recordings unlistenable, but a metal-done tweeter might. I think that is a result of the tendency for some metal domes to "ring" a little. That is of course a broad generalization, so no offense intended, metal dome tweeter owners. 😊

Do many of us work towards building a system transparent enough to serve the music well, but not so unforgiving that less-than-superb recordings lead us to not listen to them as much as we would like to?

When Audiogon member Simon (folkfreak) had me over to his Portland home to hear his outstanding system, the sound of the tweeters in his Magico Q3 loudspeakers (augmented with Townshend Audio Maximum Supertweeters) contributed to a tonal balance I am not accustomed to. I had heard Magico’s before (I don’t remember which model), but in a bigger room and at a greater listening distance (in Simon’s old room the distance was about six or so feet, maybe a little more. Is that correct Simon?). And Simon’s room was very neutral (it was fitted with ASC products, including the WallDamp used in the construction of the room’s structure), "cooler" than the somewhat warm room I listen in. I hadn’t before heard the Townshend tweeter, and of course had no knowledge of the spl/crossover frequency, etc. it was being used at.

The LP’s I brought along (Richard & Linda Thompson’s Shoot Out The Lights on UK Hannibal Records and Cat Stevens’ Tea For The Tillerman on UK Island) sounded probably the over-all best I have ever heard them (both are excellent recordings), with not a trace of hardness, glare, or other nasties (Simon’s ARC and VTL electronics share in the credit 😉). But the higher frequencies were more prominent than I am accustomed to. Interestingly, Simon---having traded his Q3’s for M3’s---no longer feels the need for the Townshend tweeters.

I have long felt that the popularity of the Vandersteen Model 2 (well earned and deserved, imo) was in part due to it’s slightly forgiving nature (in comparison to some competing loudspeakers); that is, just slightly on the warm side of neutral. Vandersteen owners may prefer them to, for instance, Wilson’s for that very reason. Vandersteen’s can be listened to for hours with no listening fatigue, even with somewhat bright recordings. I’ve never owned a pair, but have heard many hours of music through them.

@vandy357 I remember seeing an advanced-age version of Willie on Austin City Limits a few years back and his fluidity as a performer with his guitar and voice was just remarkable. Beautiful. A true artist. 

Willie’s catalogue of songs…fuhgettaboudit. 

@tylermunns you are so right about Willie, he is a national treasure as far as I am concerned.  Like you, I think he is underrated, maybe more that a tad.

Hypothetically, it’s all good and healthy to maximize the fidelity of the media that supplies the thing you want; attention to acoustics & attention to gear made for music reproduction—> music…if one is a cinema lover, the equivalent for cinema, etc. etc.

In reality, inordinate attention to sheer fidelity at the expense of actually appreciating the beautiful, wondrous art (the part in bold italics being, supposedly, the whole point of the whole shabang) is a very real and very common hazard of saying, “I’m gonna achieve ‘the best!’”

Also, just wanted to add that Willie Nelson is a boss.  
He’s super beloved, super respected, and yet, in light of his resume, still seems a tad underrated from where I’m sittin’

For sure you are right... Most audiophile love music...

It is why i agonized and dreamed about a good audiophile sound all my life ....

With no money but worst, no idea how to create one with no money...I learned it really after my retirement 7 years ago...

The problem ( i must say here that i am a classical-jazz-world music traditions-purist) the pr9blem is most audiophile did not know how to create an audiophile experience at low cost using acoustics , mechanical and electrical basics...

Then they obsess with sound ... They become dependant of their purchase not of their acoustic experience and experiments when they pose a judgement... What a serious audiophile here can think about 4 inches speakers box paid 100 bucks and modified by me ? Do you think that he can judge this an "audiophile" system ... Myself i judge it audiophile quality because of my aqcoustics modification , electrical one and even mechanical modification of the speakers box.. My sound is extraordinary... For sure i dont have a sub but i dont need one anyway... If i say how i created an extended bass and a better soundstage , "audiophiles" will laugh at me BY IGNORANCE...I did it with straws simple materials... I created an acoustic corner too... My soundfield is so good that it is better than most headphones , and my only one headphone beat most speakers in a living room...

Total cost 700 bucks...

This is why even if your other post alternative between 1,000 bucks sytem and 10,000 music or the reverse had no real meaning as serious alternative it means something about "audiophiles"...And it is why you used it ...

I am also an audiophile but not obsessed with sound because i learned how to create a good experience by myself not by purchasing .then i never entered into the upgrading wheel....

Acoustics basic science  matter not the design specs of the newest costlier last product hyped by most... 😁

@mahgister: All taken in the spirit it was offered!

Another factor that muddies the water in the matter of music lover vs. audiophile is the fact that the better the system, the deeper one is able delve into the music itself, not just enjoy the sound of it. I mean c’mon, music IS sound. The two are inextricably joined at the hip, so to speak.

That’s why being an audiophile in not antithetical to being a music lover. THAT’S what the rabidly anti-audiophile crowd (mostly Classical music purists in my experience) doesn’t seem to understand, or at least want to accept as true.

@mahgister: All taken in the spirit it was offered!

Another factor that muddies the water in the matter of music lover vs. audiophile is the fact that the better the system, the deeper one is able delve into the music itself, not just enjoy the sound of it. I mean c’mon, music IS sound. The two are inextricably joined at the hip, so to speak.

That’s why being an audiophile in not antithetical to being a music lover. THAT’S what the rabidly anti-audiophile crowd (mostly Classical music purists in my experience) doesn’t seem to understand, or at least want to accept as true.

@rpeluso it is absolutely a Willie song, if not for him the song would have never been written, I love his version of the song as much as I do Patsy's.  I just mentioned her because when I hear the song my mind goes immediately to the movie of her life.  I do love all of Willie's music and him for being...well, just Willie.

@rpeluso

I love Willie’s version of "Crazy". I don’t think he gets enough recognition for his guitar playing, personally. I regard Willie's voice as elemental, like the wind -- timeless.

"Funny How Time Slips Away" is another favorite. 

And when you put ’em both together....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hdod4ltsms&list=OLAK5uy_lVWbillStyAoMIexCRzEydjOz6rKhOUls

@rpeluso I think Willie actually wrote the song, Patsy Cline then did a version of the song that is killer.

Your dilemmas or alternatives expose the problem with us audiophiles...

Because i consider being one if i dream about good sound all my life but never succeeded to create it till i seriously begun 12 years ago...

I only succeeded in the last few years...

First with speakers /acoustic room and second after selling my house a smaller headphone rig...+ smaller speakers...

I succeeded to reach audiophile level 2 times then ...

Then i learned enough to know that your opposition make no sense because i am also a music lover... Money invested in music exceed by much the money invested in rig in my case...

My total cost for my 2 system was ALWAYS under 1,000 bucks...

700 dollars now... I tried to upgrade 2 weeks ago with an investment of 1000 bucks for an a tube amp of great recognition and value but i returned it after 1 hour of trial for a refund...It was evident that one of the best tube amp was worst than my vintage S.S. Synergy matter yes, and the fact that some vintage S.S. are tube like is evident for me now..

This means how my actual system is already very hard to upgrade because it is already a top one with no EVIDENT disturbing faults in the acoustic perceived factors... I was being able to tune my acoustic room by myself and tuning my 100 resonators then i am not deaf and with a hearing of a very healthy man for his age...

Audio is based on basic knowledge and not at all on price tag... Those who think otherwise had forgottent long time ago by obsessive behaviour what are the basic of acoustic and how to use them and they are oblivious of the Ratio S.Q./ price of past high end top products...

My actual amplifier i failed to upgrade it and i cannot upgrade my headphone anyway even if i would have the money without many, many trials and frustration , because they are a unique exceptional design in all headphone history never done anywhere in the last 45 years ...

Then what ?

Any man with a working mind will pick a low cost system which he will wisely choose for a low money cost and keep most of his money for music...

The reverse is preposterous...😁

My situation is exactly what you describes:

700 bucks audio rig+ 10,000 musical albums..

i will die instead of picking the ridiculous reverse choice...

Then your alternatives reflect misunderstandings, not the audiophiles nor the music lovers situation which are the same person in most of us..

😊

Dont take it personal...I know you know already all of what i spoke about...

I know you were half  joking  and making  a sarcastic proposition... Then i take your post to describe my experience...Because some act exactly in the preposterous way you described in your alternatives...

I wish you the best with my heart...

If the genie gave us the choice of a $10,000 system and 1,000 albums versus a $1,000 system and 10,000 albums, which would each of us choose? That would really separate the audiophiles from the music lovers. 😉

A list of 100 is much more doable than the Top 10 thread hot on YouTube in the past month, but still a challenge. Of course, the older one is and the greater the number of albums in one’s music library, the more difficult the job. I could make a list of 100, and a second list containing titles I like just as much. Decisions, decisions!

If you have one thousand albums, one hundred is 10% of them. If you have ten thousand, 10% is a thousand. A survey of how many LP’s/CD’s members have would be an interesting one, ay?

If the genie gave us the choice of a $10,000 system and 1,000 albums versus a $1,000 system and 10,000 albums, which would each of us choose? That would really separate the audiophiles from the music lovers. 😉

@mofimadness wait a doggone minute…I just looked at your list and saw 2 compilations…🤔…you said no compilations…

Tisk, tisk, friend…😉

@mofimadness Not sure how much you dig vinyl, but the OG can be had in EX condition real cheap. Haven’t heard the ‘22 remaster.  
I say this not so much as an analog disciple as much as a fan of…gosh, how do I put it…a particular…cinematic(?) quality the LP format of this LP presents, with it’s calculated Side A—>Side B format and remarkable album art.  
I also wouldn’t recommend reissues that tack on “Lady Day” as a bonus track.  
Even if it was a good song, it messes up the album, and I don’t think it’s a very good song anyway, personally.  
Just wanted to throw that out there.

Qobuz has the 24/192 version of "Watertown".  I have quite a few Frank Sinatra albums, but must confess to not knowing about this one.  Thanks!

@rpeluso Both of those OG LP’s probably cost me a combined $1.50.
I found an immaculate OG copy (well, warped, but no factor after a nice clamp) of Frisco Mabel Joy on the floor (not even in a carton or box, just on the floor) of a thrift store. I think they asked for 25 or 50 cents.
A few years later I found Watertown amongst the “Easy Listening” (I’m sorry, but that is such a dumb label 😆) section of a record store, the “Easy Listening” section being an entire wall, 10 ft tall, 15 ft wide.
Had plenty of time on my hands, so just started digging through miles of the stuff, most of the LPs covered with the kind of dust you “taste” as you keep digging.
A couple dozen Sinatra LPs in there, pulled out/inspected several, but was intrigued by Watertown. “Hmmm…what’s this one? 1970?…definitely a different type of artwork, presentation, ‘vibe’ from a typical Sinatra LP…ah, hell, let’s give this one a go…”
$1 later, I’m throwing that puppy on my turntable and standing in front of the speakers, mouth agape…”holy crap …this is a very special album.”
Over the past few years I keep coming back to it, and it’s emotional grip over me only seems to grow.
Just remarkable that he would say “yes” to a “concept album” (I’m not a fan of that term, but that’s pretty much what the album is) by Jake Holmes and Bob Gaudio in 1970, give the album absolutely everything he’s got, and somehow it comes off like a contemporaneous Lou Reed, Neil Young, or Scott Walker LP, yet somehow 100% Frank, and Frank somehow retains 100% of his dignity.
There’s not a shred of, “oh, poor guy, he’s trying to stay relevant.”
Not at all.
It’s just a unique, brilliantly written, brilliantly arranged, brilliantly performed, extremely sincere, empathetic, emotionally rich and flat-out gorgeous album.

Sometimes the Record-Buying Gods bless you.

the fact that you tylermunns have Watertown on your list is amazing!  Such a great record.  AND Mabel Joy (frisco, of course)

Very interesting suggestions... Especially about the japanese jazz scene... I did not remember your very first posting as you said i was busy answering ... 😊

Read my prior post, Mr Vertinsky in case you’ve missed being very busy about Vertinsky plz.

Then instead of throwing sarcasm ....because i suggested mine with my own takes in many posts i like saying why i picked them , anything interesting to say about music in the japan jazz scene?

I like it too because japan musician seems to plays with a soul of their own... I listened a lot of them in the last year... Anyone less well known i must listen to ?

By the way i never answered a poster here by insults or sarcasm ONLY and MERELY WITHOUT arguments about the thread matter... It is my habit to discuss with arguments about a question... Mere sarcasm about people is useless if there is no meat around the bones...I prefer to gave positive opinion about people than the reverse...But i answer to those who prefer the opposite...😊

Why not using our brain with our mouth...

I am not Mr. Vertinsky...I admired him and like this photo expressing distress,sadness, but resilience in this world... Clowns are professionals...

OH! yes my ego is there too much sometimes, but if you trail me you will discover that i try to gave more positive than negative to people...

In the meantime thanks in advance for a recommendation about the jazz japan musical scene...

Last night we went to an ACL Live (taped for eventual broadcast) performance by FLOR DE TOLOACHE, a Latin based duo with an extremely deft band. Trumpet, several guitars and two lead singers who switched off between violin and flute, among other instruments. Powerful voices. I have zero background in mariachi music, but I took it in; the most stunning moment for me was a piece where the group was joined by the guitarist/producer of Black Pumas. He added a different dimension- playing a Telecaster--beautiful fills, slight psych rock tinges.

For me, it's all an adventure of discovery. My tastes vary, depending on mood and the more I've been exposed, the more I can enjoy something that I would have regarded as cacophony or simply strange.

I don't have the time to make a list of 100 right now (power to those who did). And I'd probably change my mind a few times, the more I thought about it. 

Read my prior post, Mr Vertinsky in case you’ve missed being very busy about Vertinsky plz. To that one if I add all albums of FSOL and all albums of The Necks I'll get almost 100 extremely desired ones. 

1. Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder  
2. Where I’m Coming From - Stevie Wonder
3. Signed, Sealed and Delivered - Stevie Wonder
4. Innervisions - Stevie Wonder
5. Music For 18 Musicians - Steve Reich
6. In The Wee Small Hours - Frank Sinatra
7. Watertown - Frank Sinatra
8. On the Corner - Miles Davis
9. Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
10. ‘Round About Midnight - Miles Davis
11. Milestones - Miles Davis
12. Miles Smiles - Miles Davis
13. Dusty in Memphis - Dusty Springfield
14. Tapestry - Carole King
15. Randy Newman - Randy Newman
16. 12 Songs - Randy Newman
17. Good Old Boys - Randy Newman
18. Scott 2 - Scott Walker
19. Scott 3 - Scott Walker
20. Scott 4 - Scott Walker
21. The Drift - Scott Walker
22. Bish Bosch ​​​​​​- Scott Walker
23. The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus
24. Blues & Roots - Charles Mingus
25. Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus
26. Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus - Charles Mingus
27. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band
28. Lick My Decals Off, Baby - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band
29. Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band
30. Doc at the Radar Station - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band
31. Ice Cream for Crow - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band 
32. Taxi Driver, soundtrack - Bernard Herrmann
33. Fahrenheit 451, soundtrack - Bernard Herrmann
34. Les Stances a Sophie, soundtrack ​​​​​​- Art Ensemble of Chicago
35. The Beatles - Beatles
36. The Raincoats - The Raincoats
37. Odyshape - The Raincoats
38. Tago Mago - Can 
39. Ege Bamyasi ​​​​​​- Can
40. Future Days - Can
41. Soon Over Babaluma - Can
42. Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
43. Fear - John Cale
44. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground 
45. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground
46. White Light/White Heat - The Velvet Underground
47. Homogenic - Björk
48. Berlin - Lou Reed 
49. Off the Wall - Michael Jackson
50. The Delfonics - The Delfonics
51. Let’s Get it On - Marvin Gaye
52. What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye
53. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
54. Half Free - US Girls
55. Blood On the Tracks - Bob Dylan 
56. Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
57. Blue - Joni Mitchell
58. Court and Spark - Joni Mitchell 
59. Here Come the Warm Jets - Brian Eno
60. Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) - Brian Eno
61. Another Green World - Brian Eno
62. Desertshore ​​​​​​- Nico 
63. Wowee Zowee ​​​​​​- Pavement 
64. Slanted and Enchanted - Pavement
65. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain - Pavement  
66. Hunky Dory - David Bowie  
67. Station to Station - David Bowie
68. Low - David Bowie
69. “Heroes” - David Bowie 
70. Blackstar ​​​​​​- David Bowie
71. Either/Or - Elliot Smith
72. Controversy - Prince
73. Sign O’ the Times - Prince
74. Aerial Ballet - Harry Nilsson
75. Harry - Harry Nilsson
76. Nilsson Sings Newman - Harry Nilsson
77. Nina Simone and Piano! - Nina Simone  
78. Pastel Blues - Nina Simone
79. Fresh - Sly and the Family Stone 
80. Small Talk - Sly and the Family Stone  
81. Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones 
82. Lumpy Gravy - Frank Zappa
83. Hot Rats - Frank Zappa
84. ‘Frisch Mabel Joy - Mickey Newbury
85. Red Headed Stranger - Willie Nelson
86. In Utero - Nirvana
87. Kid A - Radiohead
88. Actor - St. Vincent
89. St. Vincent - St. Vincent
90. Fetch the Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple
91. Hell - James Brown  
92. Hounds of Love - Kate Bush
93. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
94. La Dolce Vita, soundtrack - Nino Rota
95. Illinois - Sufjan Stevens
96. Carrie & Lowell - Sufjan Stevens
97. Songs of Leonard Cohen - Leonard Cohen
98. Songs From a Room - Leonard Cohen
99. Songs of Love and Hate - Leonard Cohen
100. Cut - The Slits

It is a thread where you must suggest your musical 100 albums...

If you had something to suggest go...

you have the right ...

But one hundred suggestions ask for many posts...

Then this thread is not about me nor about any other idiots😊 as you and me, but about suggestions and also explanations...

Go instead of throwing one line post exclamation without any content...

Oh maannn!! It really seems that music is really about Vertinsky!!

Music is about the power of the human voice...

Orpheus had gone to hell and came back by the power of his voice and music...

Music is about objective facts not about our tastes...

Try this about Octavist voices:

What is a bass profundo and an  octavist voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B9LREuIa4I

How it sing transporting the chorus on his back as a light backpack or as a boat separating the waves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJWihxRM9bU

Your taste dictate to you that you dont like much Japan music...

You are wrong...

😊

Everybody like poetry...Even when he does not know it yet...

listen to this few minutes each week.... In less than a year it will be among your favorite...

We dont know what we will like the most  yet because we dont know ourself...Our attention is over there without us...

Why?

Music is a stuff made only of pure attention and pure awareness...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayNhc8_oSs8

What now music is all about?

It is about awakening the spirit in the dead or in the living body...

Two masters here suggested how to let it happen by opening ourself to the irrepressible FLOW  of joy and energy  which is life itself emerging ...

my first persian music album and one of the best ever  by Ostad Elahi a mystic sufi who only play to pray and was recorded by his disciples :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuTVYcLDq9c

Now the same irrepressible energy perceived by Beethoven :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDpDwZZA248

Music is about objective facts perceived by the soul in itself as in the cosmos...

This had nothing to do with my tastes or yours ...

Music is about the cosmos and about Nature as seen by man...

Not about consumers tastes ....😊

The more visionary the music is the more valued it may be...

Two different culture but the same visionary perspective on Nature in his own specific way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRMxLwOfKGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2RPKMJmSp0

Music is about musicians not about our tastes first and last...

Here two completely unrecognized geniuses from the jazz world , geniuses as musicians first and not as mere jazz man... Giants ...

Rahsaan Roland Kirk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIqLJmlQQNM

Sun ra :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovUUlNkcbpY&list=PLnQJF3Qi_4_BD5c99vxEP36ulwJapmdnS&index=4&t=145s

Music is about geniuses where we discover them why and when ...

Music is not about our mere tastes...But about our discoveries out of our tastes starting line...

A genius here Kaikhosru Sorabji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCs0YeBOmOQ

Another genius it seems, Elliott Carter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MArB2OrLeSc&list=OLAK5uy_lIDYwOBZFmJNHqXcVgeC3xdeUQYcqbqlQ

I didn’t suggest anyone listen to anything from my list 😉

Being less timid than you i myself strongly suggest to listen to my list...

😉

@mahgister

i will try Elliott Carter as suggested by simonmoon... I will go slowly because it is not my "taste"... But i will LEARN something and sometimes miracles happen, and our mind open to new unsuspected possibilities...

Hey!

I didn’t suggest anyone listen to anything from my list 😉

I just listed bands, musicians, and composers that I rate at the highest levels of artistry and skill.

It is totally up to you, if want to explore them.😄

You already answered yourself to your own question...

A mantra, a devotional song, is not about esthetic , it is more about efficient power to put the mind in a trance state or in another level of attention...

It is more about medecine and ethic than pure esthetic...

Music is more about Power to heal than just about our consumers  tastes in esthetic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AGyrEV_ze0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmxb51FFvRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhCFO13Q-o

There remains at least one aspect that confuses me. When you say :

Music is not ALWAYS about esthetical tastes...It is way more...

How do you separate the "esthetic" from the "more" ? Do you view this in terms of which chakras a given musical piece activates... or?

The first song i ever listen was sing to me by my father...

This album remind me of innocence ...

It is one of my favorite persian  album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc-CUbs4MW0&t=254s

Music is about Madness too...

music can be madness ...

here two different forms  the first is sarcasms and pirouettes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpzW7RH0cgY

Or it can be about compulsive obsession :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r30D3SW4OVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VErKCq1IGIU

@mahgister

Your latest post brings things into much clearer focus for me. Thanks for making the effort to keep going until I was able to understand 🙏

This is music experience for me... Not only confort, relaxation, feeling, thinking, but the will to go where no one bodly goes...

This reminds me very much of Buddhism’s emphasis upon a willingness to be fully present in every moment, in any type of situation -- pleasant or unpleasant.-- equally. And it’s made me curious about what it is about (solo) classical vocals that evokes such a strong determination in me not to be present. I was aware of this listening to Alfred Dreller -- the emotional aspect felt overwhelming -- like something I had to "fend off".

On the other hand, I can listen to other music (Blues, for example) that is also intensely emotional, but without the sense of overwhelm. I could say the same for Indian music -- it can be intensely emotional but this type of expression I feel "at home in", just like the Blues, or the Savina Yanatou piece I posted. By contrast, Western Classical music feels quite "alien" to me, like I "don't belong" there. Perhaps this has to do with past lives; I don't know.

There remains at least one aspect that confuses me. When you say :

Music is not ALWAYS about esthetical tastes...It is way more...

How do you separate the "esthetic" from the "more" ? Do you view this in terms of which chakras a given musical piece activates... or?

Thanks for your ongoing patience!