Why do people like reel to reel players?

do They sound all that much better than the other stuff?

they look very cool and remind me of language class when I was younger which was the only place I saw them used. It’s like a record player mounted on the wall where you can watch something spin.

It seems a bit impractical to get the tapes and then to mount them all the time. Cassette players seem a lot better. Cassettes used to be a bit easier to get. Not sure they’re even available anymore. I remember they were double sided just flip them over.

emergingsoul

Only used it for copying or making own recordings. Didn't know until last week (one similar discussion here) that they ever made PRE RECORDED reels!!!

Quality is MUCH better than cassette since the tape machine lays a much longer/faster 'track' onto the (reading/writing) heads. 

IIRC cassette is something like 4.75 cm/sec? Vs even slowmow 9.5, standard 18 (and likely even higher speeds for pro machines). 

Studio machines with super wide tapes opened the world for multitracking (not sure if it was a good thing?).

my friend in high school had an Akai. He recorded borrowed LP from friends, and we turn asked him to make copies for our cassette players. My Dual recored player was mono (so were all cassette players, and my 'basic' Philips 9.5 cm/sec flat open real. 

Aside from nostalgia, I don't know why anyone would use tapes (and vinyl players for that matter) anymore. 

But they are sure a beautiful add on to an audio system; I WILL get one if I find one for no money and put next to some 'woodies' and my record player (and the genuine Walkman II I still have). 

Aside from the ability to record, a quality reel to reel recording is the closest thing to the master tape.

I bought my 1st R2R 50 years ago and have owned several ever since.  I have 60 reels of tape, much of it containing recordings that are not available in any other format. I have a refurbished Revox B77 (Reel to Reel Tech).  The sound quality is close enough to my fully loaded LP 12 and my DCS Bartok, that I enjoy listening.  It's all about the music anyway.  And those reels turning :)

BTW, if you're interested, Reel to Reel tech is the real deal when it comes to refurbished vintage decks, and Curt charges very reasonable prices. 

Let’s face it. Back in "the day" having a cool R2R at home was just about as good as it gets. It represented a perfect storm of the convergence of multiple sensory perceptions that, literally, pegged the needle on the "Wow" meter.

We were all ’ga ga" over our turntables. Watching the tonearm predictably descend while we rushed back to our favorite listening position and became seated at the precise moment the music started was mind-blowing, even without elevated enhancement "accessories". Then, something magical appeared. The technology to record our favorite tracks, albums (even borrowed ones) and have them play in the exact order we wanted, without close supervision in OUR listening room was glorious. Cassette often gets credit for the production of "mix tapes", but it actually started with R2R. (Just a little more difficult to take them with you). The sound quality was indistinguishable (well, close enough) to the vinyl "original" and prerecorded tapes were available for purchase.

R2R represented the ultimate in the analog experience with an abundance of kinetic energy. Reels turning. Big meters jumping. And, oh, when we pulled those levers, pushed the buttons, threaded the tapes, WE were in charge of everything connected to the experience. WE got to be the dude (and dudess) in control of the "master" tape, honorary music producers in our own right.

It was empowering. Duplicating that experience today on ANY level is a tough act to follow.

They look really cool and I love all 8 or mine. I don't really listen to them to be honest but they look good sitting on the rack.