Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Listening to Maggie Rogers - Notes from Archives 2011 - 2015 ( stream ) really like her
Had to finish my evening off with some classical....

Szell conducts Dvorak - ‘The Three Great Symphonies’ box set. Symphony #7. The Cleveland Orchestra. Columbia Masterworks 1970
Welcome back @bdp24    On the auspicious occasion of you, our The Band advocate, returning to the thread I would like to offer all the members of this thread (but only if they have been very very good this year) what I think will be a musical treat for most anybody (if you at the least don’t get goosebumps when Aofie, Sara, and Sarah break in ... well then I’m just sorry for you).  

Ok, this is not about a record, sorry - I just found this superjam music video yesterday. This is my favorite song of all time (really) done by a bunch of my favorite musicians (I mean really) along with a funny guy music benefactor.  In the context of lockdown this is just way cool.  
So, when you’re feeling especially deserving, either hook your tv up to your tube amp through a good dac or put on some decent headphones for this:

https://youtu.be/zaU249SRv4w

Merry Christmas my friends. 

Last non-vinyl post for now, promise...

Madison Cunningham
Who Are You Now
Verve Forecast 2019

“ ... a new spin on West Coast folk-rock, with classical tendencies, electric guitars, jazz-school chord changes and alt-rock strut all living under the same roof". - Rolling Stone 

Yep
James - oh man, Madison has her funk groove on from the first phrasing bass line... ya !!!! Dig her

thanks brother 
She has a bit of Cheryl Crow in her too.

this may call for a third Tenth Mountain Rye ( Vail )
Jim, my daughter recommended her. Apparently that record was nominated for the best Americana album last year. (While I was sleeping). It’s a little feminine pop in places but I like her voice.
Btw, the Becca Stevens album is only available on digital. It’s not part of their other sets. I should have said their first digital only issue. Or something like that.
I remembered her from an Esperanza Spaulding record, the Brad mehldau in playing now and she’s great on Crosby’s latest. You know, the one with Woodstock. Check it out. Might be right in your wheelhouse.

tonight was more of a seven hills red kind of night around here.  Cheers bro. 

Damn @spiritofradio, that’s a great version of also one of my very favorite songs, up there with "God Only Knows" and "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted". "The Weight" (and the rest of Music From Big Pink, and the s/t brown album), once fully digested, rendered just about all other Rock ’n’ Roll Bands irrelevant to me for quite a while. I love what the dobro, mandolin, fiddle, and banjo players in this video add to the song. And the girls singing 3-part harmony---fantastic!

There’s a great version of "The Weight" performed by The Band and The Staples at the end of The Last Waltz, and another filmed at the 2012 Americana Awards Show with Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt, John Hiatt, Jim Lauderdale, Richard Thompson, Buddy Miller, Larry Campbell, Sam Bush, Amy Helm (Levon’s daughter), I think Peggy Young (Neil’s now ex-wife), Don Was, and others. Incredible!

If anyone does a YouTube search for this posted video, you will come across a video of Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White performing the song. You will not believe how utterly lame they sound. My God, they don’t even get the opening chord sequence correct. And the "singing"---pathetic!

James - Becca is on Tidal and it’s lovely, some of the best piano I have heard..., dripping wet 
Finally done for the week, so spinning some LP’s before travel tomorrow.

Finishing up what I started last night....

Szell conducts Dvorak - ‘The Three Great Symphonies’ box set. Symphony #8 & 9. The Cleveland Orchestra. Columbia Masterworks 1970
@Bkeske   I have that same box Brian. Lovely music.  Safe travels.  Happy holidays.  
@spiritofradio

@Bkeske I have that same box Brian. Lovely music. Safe travels. Happy holidays.

Yes it is. Thank you James, and you as well. After the last couple weeks (busy busy) I would love to ‘hide’ alone with my vinyl and rig, but, mom wouldn’t like that much ;-)

I got a bug up my rear, (maybe just wanted to spend money 😁), and decided to buy a back-up cart to my Soundsmith Zephyr. Got a new Goldring 1042 from a gentleman on US AudioMart for a good price. Local, so picked it up from him yesterday after a meeting. Actually he sells and is a member here too.

Installed it on a headshell earlier, and checking it out. Gotta tell you, the Goldring is actually pretty darn nice for what I paid for it. Really has nice tone, dynamics, and detail. I now feel assured I have a back-up cart that I can actually enjoy. Tried out my old Grado Red with a new 8mz stylus, and just wasn’t pleased. The Goldring 1042 outclasses it significantly. Perhaps time to sell that puppy.....and look for something else to buy.... 😁
@bkeske congratulations on the new backup cart Brian. I don’t have a head shell on the turntable in my main rig any longer so that keeps me on the straight and narrow. I’m still casting around for what to try for a next cartridge. Although my new turntable came with a set of different counterweights and is claimed to work with a range of cart masses, the tonearm itself is very lightweight and it just seems to me to be smartest to stay with a relatively light cartridge. Although admittedly I have very little experience with serious cartridges.
@spiritofradio

After I bought the Soundsmith, the overriding concern I had was what I would do when I had to eventually send it to Peter for service (never a speedy turn-around as I understand). Thus, have been thinking of a decent back-up for some time now. A back-up, that although might not be ‘on par’ with the Zephyr, still one which I could enjoy.

The Goldring is at the limits of working compliance-wise with my arm, but thus far, is sounding good and I’m pretty pleased with it. I could live with this for a couple months if need be. Not sure I could the Grado Red, and the 8mz stylus didn’t make the improvements I had hoped....oh well, live and learn.

Evgeny Mravinsky Conducts Tchaikovsky - Symphonies 4,5,&6. Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra. Deutsche Grammophon 1974, 3 LP box. Italian pressing.
Merry Christmas all

after riding 27 miles with Shawn Colvin rattling round by noggin..i got home and ordered that 45 rpm maxi single @slaw... coming from Germany, unplayed.

I am streaming her 30 th aniv Steady On.....warming up the glass....
Hope you enjoy Jim.

@boxer12, Tim sent me a dedicated phono cable this week. Will start listening to that one tomorrow probably.

Got in two of the inexpensive schuman generators off of ebay to try. I hope it's as interesting as I think it will be?
Steve, last I read anyway, you need like 11 of them...

there are days when i understand why i serve on the board of a quantum computing company, because there is @%/$& strange stuff we don’t fully understand at work in the universe......

have at it, but report back from the brave new world (s)...
after a bit of warmup with Richard Thompson

Over the Rhine - Love and Revelation

.....not to be underestimated in vinyl 
Van Cliburn - My Favorite Chopin. RCA Victor Red Seal ‘Living Stereo’ 1961
@bdp24 i think you might appreciate the spiritual connection via Over the Rhine
Bernstein conducts Shostakovich Piano Concerto #1 (Andre Previn, piano) & Poulenc Concerto for Two Pianos (Gold and Fizdale, piano). New York Philharmonic. Columbia Masterworks 1962

Very very nice recording
Blue Öyster Cult - On Your Feet or on Your Knees. It may not be one of my favorite live albums, but I can't figure out how AllMusic only gave it two stars.
Øivin Fjeldstad Conducts David Monrad Johansen - Voluspaa. Filharmonisk Selskaps Orkester (Orchestra) with the Det Norske Solistkor (choir). Philips 1969, Norway release/pressing.
Cabaret Voltaire "Shadow Of Fear"
Roy Montgomery "324 E. 13th Street #7"
Slap Happy/Henry Cow "Desperate Straights"
V.A. "Southeast of Saturn" (Michigan Shoegaze/Dream Pop/Space Rock)

Merry Christmas everyone.  Hopefully Santa Claus will deliver all those tasty vinyl records you and your turntable have been anxiously waiting for.