Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Jackie McLean - Right Now! ( Blue Note reissue 84215 ) 

Poor Eric is a favorite 
The Pineapple Thief
Uncovering the Tracks
Kscope 2020 RSD 

12” 45 EP

Band Favorites Re-Recorded with
Gavin Harrison

Tony Joe White 
The Beginning 
New West 2020 RSD

Tony’s right over there by the fireplace.

@pratorious
Congratulations!

@ghosthouse Thanks for the recommendation. Will sure check it out.

John Mayall and Eric Clapton - Blues Breakers, London Collectors Series NOS. 
Lonnie Brooks
Wound Up Tight 
Alligator Records 1986

with Johnny Winter & Jim Liban

my ears are bleeding from alligator bites and I don’t care

Well, Layla is a truly terrible sounding recording of some of the best rock ever.  Haven’t played this on vinyl for years - certainly not on this system.  It never really sounded that good but I think it’s much worse on a decently revealing system.  
@spiritofradio - You are welcome, but credit where it's due...Notec had first posted about Stephen R. Smith on The Minority Report back in 2014.  Justbgunn commented about SRS very recently and that renewed my interest.  I'd forgotten all about the original posting.

@slaw - hope you get a nice clean piece of vinyl and that you enjoy the music.   For me, Sketchbook has great guitar tone and textures + actual melody.  It's in a "post rock" vein, maybe, but more focused and "intentional" than what I usually associate with post-rock.  I'll be curious to know what you think.
Finzi
Sir Adrian Bolt
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Rodney Friend - Violin
Lyrita 1978

Dvorák: Cellokonzert H-Moll (In B Minor)
Tschaikowsky: Rokoko-Variations OP. 33
Rostropovitsch, Berliner Philharmoniker, von Karajan

The Dvorak one of my favorites, have at least three other aok versions but saw this posted and have since wanted to get it.  Sonics are good but it’s a shame - this Deutsche Grammophon, 139044, has as much surface noise as I’ve ever heard.  Like my grandparent’s 78s.   Strange because this came from an oft relied on seller in England in an order of 5 other records that are all perfectly as new.  
I’ve heard there was a time that DG put out disappointing product.   This is a 1970 German reissue of a 1968 record.  Must try to remember to be cautions around this label.   If anyone can educate me about this please do.  I am hopelessly naive about record label reliability. 
Ghosthouse, I remember Notec. A little rough around the edges, but knew his Americana. I use to pay attention to his music choices. Just dropped off like so many do. I will check out Mr. Smith on his and your recommendation.
Music for Clarinet and Piano
Stanford, Ferguson, Finzi, Hurlstone
Thea King & Clifford Benson
Hyperion 1981

This is why I love analogue.  
Erroll Garner ‎– Gems (Columbia 1954 mono)

I think this is my oldest record. It's a reissue of a 1951 10".
Count Basie , With Jimmy Rushing, Lester Young, Illinois Jacquet, Jo Jones, Roy Eldridge ‎– The Newport Years Volume VI (Verve 1973)

Not a great recording. Archive interest only.
Jim Kweskin & The Jug Band ‎– The Best Of (Vanguard 1968)

Best kazoo in the world is on this.
Benny Goodman ‎– On V-Disc, Volume 1 - 1941-45 (Sunbeam 1974)

This is surprisingly good and NM.
@dayglow Sound is good. Not great. Record is Good to VG+ depending on track. I don't mind because the music's great.
Sir Edward Elgar
Cello Concerto / Sea Pictures
The London Symphony Orchestra
Jacqueline du Pre
Sir John Barbirolli
Janet Baker
Repress
EMI His Masters Voice ASD 655
1965/Unknown

@Bkeske

Elgar
Cello Concerto/Enigma Variations
Jacqueline du Pré - Daniel Barenboim

+1 A highly rated album that I do not own. Will add it to my wish list.

Brian, This recording of the Elgar Cello Concerto is far better than the other one. I know there is an expensive version of this in print too but this one is spectacular.

@spiritofradio 

Brian, This is far better than the other one. I know there is an expensive version of this in print too but this one is spectacular. 

I’ll check it out. Thanks. Heck, I can afford both of them 😁

@bkeske,

I’ll check it out. Thanks. Heck, I can afford both of them 😁

Well, the recording with Berenboin Conducting is very sweet and rather subdued. It was made live with an audience that all seemed to have coughs and colds... The EMI is something to write home about though. Incredible dynamics and tone in a great performance.
The EMI recording was also pressed by this little boutique label, The Electric Recording Company, and recently sold out so asking has gone to over a grand. We should have got copies at issue when they were only $500.....
@spiritofradio,

Your mentioning Charles Lloyd "Love In" Live at The Fillmore the other week was the basis for me buying that lp. Just ran across a sealed pp today and ordered it. Thanks!
@spiritofradio

Well, the recording with Berenboin Conducting is very sweet and rather subdued. It was made live with an audience that all seemed to have coughs and colds... The EMI is something to write home about though. Incredible dynamics and tone in a great performance.

One of the things I like about collecting a variety of the same performances by different conductors/symphonies, and yes, even record labels; The variety.

I found the EMI UK version on Discogs for about $20-25; The original pressing. There is one by The Electric Recording Co. selling for almost $1,200. Rated about the same as the Barenboim by owners of it. That said, I do like much of what I have which Barbirolli conducted.
@slaw Hope you enjoy it.  I think Brian might actually have been the first to post on here about that record.  It was awhile ago. That record will definitely get your foot tapping.  
Frank Zappa ‎– Zappa In New York (Discreet 1977)

One of my favorites. Super recording. (Uncensored version. Because censorship of music is pathetic.)
I think you’re right James but it was your story about it that intrigued me.
Pink Floyd-A Momentary Lapse Of Reason Side 1
Ray Charles-Volcanic Action Of My Soul Side 1
Stephen Stills-2 Side 2
Steppenwolf-Live Side 4
Johnny Griffin-White Gardenia(Mono RLP 387) Side 1
Verdi-La Forza Del Destino(Callas/Tucker/Rossi-Lemeni) Side 1
Liz Story-Part Of Fortune Side B
James I think you asked about DG ? My record guru other than you guys says the general rule is get albums “ with the big tulips”.... he has 40 k albums and owns Stereo Unlimited here in SD

i try to listen to him
@slaw - I got Till the Sun Turns Black
headed my way.      Man what a great work
Samuel Barber
Music Of Samuel Barber
Thomas Schippers
New York Philharmonic 
CBS/Columbia Odyssey 1966/1973 
Benjamin Britten - Strings Quartets No 1&2. The Allegri String Quartet. London 1976

Gave this another thorough cleaning, helped a bit, but unfortunately not well cared for prior. Too bad, a very nice performance and recording.
As far as Deutsche Grammophon.

Of the major classical labels, I find them the most inconsistent. Some, even the newer, are wonderful, and some....just aren’t. I’ve found you really cannot go wrong with Decca/London, or usually Columbia Masterworks. Philips actually is pretty consistently good, as is RCA Red Seal.

Of course then you have BIS, Seraphim (Capitol), VOX is surprisingly good, as is Angel (EMI), but they can also be inconsistent. The older Everest pressings/recordings can be very good. Those are the ‘majors’, but there are many ‘boutique’ labels which are very good. I’d probably put BIS into that category.

This is mainly for older pressings/companies. There are some very good newer ‘boutique’ companies today. I just haven’t delved into them....yet. CD’s yes, vinyl no.
@bkeske,   Thanks Brian.  That is the kind of knowledge I want to gain and sift through before buying records.  I guess maybe you guys are rubbing off on me and I’m getting more picky.  Definitely more focused these days on getting the best sounding version of good music rather than the most expedient alternative.  
And, Speaking of CBS Records Masterworks...

———————————

Vivaldi
Loren Maazel
Orchestre National de France
The Four Seasons
CBS Masterworks Digital 1984

Berliner Philharmoniker
Bernard Haitink
Anton Bruckner, Symphony No. 7
Berliner Philharmoniker Recordings

@tomic601 ,

"Till the Sun Turns Black" .....I thought you were talking about Charles Lloyd and Googled it, couldn't find it???