Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
I went to my local record store last week & they didn't have it. Did buy Lambchop & Wilco's latest though, so they had 2 of the 3 on my list. Haven't heard of Federale. What would you compare it to? 

Feu Therese 
I am a morning person not a night owl, by 11pm im all done in!
Call me a wimp, that's fine!

I did listen to Weather Report and Return to Forever via Qobuz last night.
Neither had as much appeal to myself as Spyro or Passport.
But if we all liked the same stuff it would be a very boring world!
@boxer12,

"Who would I compare Federale to"? That’s a tough one. Right now I have a hard time thinking of anyone. It’s at the top of my 2019 favorites though.

I saw Purple Mountains lp on Amazon for $29.95. If I remember correctly, I bought mine direct from www.dragcity.com for $22.00 shipping included. (Just took a look and it's already out of stock there)
I would slightly compare Federal to The National but with more strings, orchestral bits... @slaw it’s growing on me but ... slowly
Alas, the ancient Labrador is overdue for a bath and the War Dept. has ordained only good smells as we are hosting Thanksgiving.... listening will be light today...
@Uber   If you prefer Spiro Gyra over Return to Forever then well, I don’t know what to say.  Taste is a funny thing I know. 

@ slaw. Yes.  Seeing Federale tomorrow night at a really cool old but modernized venue we have here.  Same guys have reworked 3 different venues here - all for the major good.

I might describe Federale as having an contemporary electronic movie soundtrack orchestra being conducted by Sergio Leone sound.    It’s a minor phenomenon where they’re from here in portland with the both the hip and non-hip (like myself) music fans.  
Btw, I saw you post that you played Esperanza’s first album.  Now that reflects some very good musical ideas.  She is very much loved here where she grew up amazing everyone.  

Caroline plays the Aladdin a different beloved but kinda mediocre- sounding venue here 28 January.  She’s performing with some guy I don’t really care about but I’m keeping an open mind.  

I streamed Purple Mountain again a couple of days ago and have been recommending it to friends. 
I think my favorite discovery this year (thanks to tomic!) has been Levi Parham.   

@spiritofradio,

Thanks for your post my friend.
Alejandro Escovedo "Big Station" saw him several months back. He’s such an authentic artist/person, I highly recommend to anyone that they check him out in person.

He actually has a big North Carolina connection. He is on the Yep Roc label near Chapel Hill and has recorded several times at Chris Stamey's studio in Kernersville.  The last song of his encore, was his tribute to David Bowie "All The Young Dudes" where he brought out Chris to play along.
Spirit
Hmmm
Well I do not recall criticising your choice of music.
But to each their own.
If you don't know what to say then best say nothing IMHO.

Ciao
(Been thinking about a Federale band comparison. Not to cause any upheaval but, to me, The National’s music mostly comes from a dark place. I just don’t make that connection. IMO.)
Uber.  Wasn’t criticizing.  I’m fact my statement about the point being about taste is pretty much the opposite.  Sorry if I sounded like criticism to you but I think maybe you misunderstood and/or are being too sensitive.  I didn’t put you or your music down - was just continuing the thread with a response.  
Sometimes people’s preferences are honestly quite baffling and this is just an acute case of, as you say, to each his own. That is what I said.  It is just quite frankly surprising and perhaps a little disappointing that you, a person obviously into music, weren't that impressed by the incredible composition, innovation, and musicianship in my suggestions and say you prefer something else.  But incredulity doesn’t necessarily lead to judgementalism.  Moreover, I in fact think Spiro Gyra’s music is quite fun.  I still have one or two of their albums.  Please, I might say what I like or dislike but would never criticize anyone’s taste in music especially because I love so many things that other people look down on or don’t get.  So many examples, let’s see.... So,  I like Maynard Ferguson and many critics and jazz people of good taste resent and hate him.   I like the old sentimental stuff from Garfunkel and am absolutely ridiculed for it.  I could go on with other examples. 

Hope that you continue to find more new to you fusion that you enjoy.  I think it’s a great arena of music and sound to explore. 

Neil Diamond "Hot August Night" MFSL

( interesting story about how I obtained it, and the lp's history, but I digress)
Hey slaw.  I think tomic was comparing the national to Federale not to purple mountain.  
Spirit,

Yeah, I realized that and later corrected my mistake.

Thanks buddy.

( I'm starting to realize how much "re-examining" takes place as the aging process kicks in)
Oh man, yes.  Woke up just this morning with the chorus of a wonderful song playing in my head but can not recall who or what.  And that never used to happen.  
Spirit, that.s cool!

I should have also said, you must be aging better than me, as that kind of thing has been going on for years with me. Ha ha ha.
From the Hot August Nights set..."Porcupine Pie"...I don't know why, but listening to Neil sing it, I'm cool with it! This may be a perfect example of what separates us normal people from great artists? For me, if I were to just read those lyrics, I'd never be able to put them into a song I could sing! Think about it folks!
Tanita Tikaram "Closer to the People" e.a.r@music Germany

If you can find it.GET IT!
@ slaw.  Trying out Tanita.  Never heard this.  Of course that doesn’t mean much, I completely miss a lot of popular stuff.  
Anyway.  Seems pretty original.  Kinda cool.  
You damn right it’s cool! ...brother

If you can find a M copy for $100.00, that's an easy buy, IMO.
It was about to be the shiny brand new 180 gram pressing of the Black Crowes Shake Your Money Maker.  Except... it wasn't so shiny, it looked scuffed up right out of the package.  Then I could barely fit it on the spindle, the center hole was super tight.  Started to play it, and it was really noisy, then it skipped halfway through the first song.  What happened to quality control?
@big-greg,

OK, your big order of the 45rpm Dire Straites arrived yesterday?... and no more comments???? I’m not getting a good feeling?
@slaw I listened to their first self-titled album last night and it sounded fantastic.  I have a nasty head cold and my ears are kind of plugged up, so I'll probably wait to listen to the rest of them.  I have plenty of other goodies in the on-deck bin that I probably won't listen to as critically.
Kansas "Leftoverture" Friday Music

So, I’ve read recently from others’ posts regarding seeing Kansas recently. That they found them to be "MUSICIANS"!

I’m thankful that I already knew that. In the late ’70s they were my GO-TO group, I think most if not all were classically trained. Saw them twice at that time. I can still picture Steve Walsh singing in his shiny short shorts while the spotlight was on Livgreen.

I find it fascinating that 45 years later, some are now hearing their greatness!
You people that didn't GET IT then, well I wonder what happened in the last 40 years. The music stays.
I saw Kansas in Portland a few months ago and they were great. Obviously not the original lineup, but they put on a great show. 
Kansas was HUGE (in the mid-west) back in the day. 

Neil Cowley Trio / Spacebound apes
Yessongs- probably the worst ever recording of one of the best ever live shows!

Led Zeppelin of some sort...

The Smiths or
Peter Gabriel or
something completely different!