Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
The Gil Evans Orchestra - Out of the Cool ( # 136/500 ) on clear “audiophile vinyl....first 30 seconds pressing quality abysmal....
Chinese Eyes ... Pete Townsend.

Tomic

Yea, I get brutal with a first scrub with the $1 buys before rinsing and cleaning again.

Works well enough for me.
Came across a bunch of near mint Prestige OJC and Blue Note remastered pressings at an estate sale yesterday for $1 each. Reminded me of that old joke about the guy who ran away with his secretary and told his wife to sell his collection and send him the money...

John Coltrane - Soultrane
Dexter Gordon - Go!
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

@16f4 maybe the secretary prefers the Blues !!!! that is fuuny, good score dude.

@slaw I am streaming Blake Mills thru Tidal....wow, I need to get out more.....innovator but also has the chops...nice...
Leading up to now was:

Dire Straits - The euphonious, euphoriant, eponymous first (OP)

Dave Mason - “It’s Like You Never Left” (OP) after what, 47 years, the grooves of Baby Please are kinda worn down some...

Dylan - “Biograph” (sides 1,2,3,7&10).  Dog left the room when I put this on, funny...
all four sides of the new Patty Griffin LP...

I just love her so am biased..but Luminous Places certainly strikes a chord with me...

On to Tull - Heavy Horses the S.Wilson remaster, pressing quality and sonics excellent!
Lloyd Cole & the Commotions - Easy Pieces
So, I always thought that Easy Pieces was the lesser of the two albums Lloyd Cole did w/ the Commotions only to be blown away by it tonight. This brings up something I have experienced multiple times in my life, mostly, though not exclusively, with music. At some pointwhat I experience undergoes a radical change. The funny thing for me is that it has almost always been in the same direction from thinking something is less than and then having whatever it is become hugely more moving and sensorilly (is this a real word?) powerful. It feels like magic. My aesthetics are pretty firmly grounded at this point in my life. They haven't noticeably changed in many years, but I continue to have these experiences of Wow! seemingly out of the blue. How great is that! 

@tomic601

If you haven’t already, register with:

www.oldies.com
www.insound.com

I’m pretty sure I saw the Blake Mills lp there at a good discount at their last sale.
……………………...……………......……….
@jamesclarke,

The Valerie June lp is wonderful. If you don’t already have it, get "The Order of Time". IMO, it’s even better!
I listen to my albums in alphabetical order, that way I don't miss anything, unless I get a new album. I just received Sonny Rollins LP so going with that tonight.
Absolutely pristine Talking Heads - 77 OP headed for table tonight....

anticipation...
@slaw I know, isn’t she great.  Just streamed that one so far.  I should get the record?  Is there a better product than what’s on amazon? 

Can I ask you guys, was shopping for Pet Sounds and realized it was probably Mono, right?.  Do I want that or do I want the stereo version.  I don’t know what I want.  My gear doesn’t have a mono setting.  I remember mono settings on those old Matantz receivers (I think). Never bought a monaural record but I think my Father probably did...   

@tomic601 - I had "Heavy Horses" in the queue before I left for my annual family ski vacation last week. Just got home (fantastic snow in Summit County, CO this season!). Finally put on Heavy Horses. I have an early copy from back in '78.  Brought back great memories from the time of it's release in '78. Not my favorite Jethro Tull record, but still enjoyable.
Thin Lizzy "Jailbreak"
………………...………………...
@jamesclarke,

I own the DCC "Pet Sounds" mono and it’s fantastic! Goin’ to be pricey though.

The Valerie June lp on Amazon will be the same as anywhere else
Regarding "Jailbreak", I have two pressings:
1976 Mercury
Vertigo/Back To Black from around 10 years ago?
The Mercury ruled. I still want to acquire an original WLP.
This title would be a great one done on dbl vinyl @ 45rpm.
…………………………………………….
Jenny Lewis "On The Line"  nice SQ, low bass may come across muddy if your room/system isn't up to it.
@peterjc,

Welcome. That's an interesting way to listen. It must take a bit of commitment.
John Fogerty "Deja Vu all over again" SQ = EX

Gonna give the new Jenny Lewis another whirl.
 @reubent Special place in my heart for Heavy Horses....
i got Stormwatch to Complete the “ trilogy “ but find it a horse of a different color, pardon the pun....
Re Pet Sounds - I have the Analogue Productions Reissue in Mono
i am NOT planning on getting a Spyder and another arm so I can get a proper mono cartridge.... my lunacy has it’s fencelines dont ya know.....
@tomic601

"God damn the pusher"
…………………...…...……………...……….
Regarding the Jenny Lewis lp, I'm a huge fan, yet on the second spin, I'm lovin' it even more!
 @slaw “ the needle and the damage done “

good Vinyl blog title....

playing Pet Sounds

coastal light just right
surfers out
good size waves
friday nite, kids taking pictures of girls and cars....

what has changed ????

@slaw .

Spinning The Voyager right now.
Previous was On The Line.

Just love Jenny Lewis.

Probably spin Rilo Kiley next.

Btw the bass on On The Line just rocks in my system, not muddy or one note at all.
Great @uberwaltz 

She really has a pure/"go on for ever" tone to her voice, reminiscent of Neko Case IMO.
@slaw

You are on a roll tonight sir!

Some of my favourite female vocalists you have been spinning.

Such a criminal waste of talent with Dolores though.... So sad!
Thanks @uberwaltz,

We lost a lot of great ones in the last three years or so.

You should check out Haley Bonar. Start with "Big Star".

I'm going through some of the "on sale" $1 bin records I bought a couple of weeks ago. Ended up paying just 15 cents a piece for them as the LRS had them marked down to 6 for a dollar. All hand picked for condition, but I was not familiar with many of them. But, for 15 cents each, hard to go too Wrong. 

I already cleaned a small batch. Kept a few good ones for myself, then traded 12 other decent ones at another LRS for $40 store credit! Not a bad return on the investment. Working on the next batch now.

To start the evening (remember, I paid 15 cents each for these) so some of them are of questionable quality (content and condition) :

Angel - "White Hot" - I saw this band open for Blue Oyster Cult in 1978. Godz opened the show "Godz are Rock and Roll Machines". They were very theatrical, but musically blah.

Anyway, this albums sucks. Talking about "Hair Bands". These guys, well, I guess they are all guys, take top honors. Musically, horrible. "Discovered", playing in a bar, by Gene Simmons. He should have left them there.

This 15 cent "find" is going into the trade pile......
@reubent

Thanks for sharing brother. I had a record show this coming Sunday. I decided to wait for RSD.
…………………...………………….
Maria Taylor "In The Next Life" one hell of a record!
Next up:

Poco - "Cantamos"

Really clean, quiet copy for a record that cost 15 cents. Musically, not bad, but not fantastic either. Will probably go into the Trade pile.
Next out of the 15 cent stash......

James Taylor - "JT"

Big record from 1977. Nominated for Best Album at Grammys, but lost out to Rumours. Good record, but doesn't compare to Rumours. 

May go in my record shelf, or may go into the trade pile. Not sure yet.
Gonna work on finishing my Neil Young Box/ Official Release Series/Discs 8.5-12

"Long May You Run"  up next
Up now, from the big bargain stash......

Steve Winwood - "Back in the High Life"

I already own an original copy of this album, so I'm just play grading this one. It will be off to the trade bin......

So far, the copy is very good. Will make a nice trade record....

Working second play of new Patty gfiffin
have concert tickets to see her 2
jazzed !!!!!
The Neil Young is sounding excellent!
………...……......……...….
@tomic601 

I just placed an order today with a "new to me vendor" which included Patty Griffin "S/T" & "1000 Kisses". Can't wait!
Now playing, from the bargain stash......

Jackson Browne - "Hold Out"

I also already own a great copy of this record, so just play grading it for trade...
Up next "Rust Never Sleeps". BTW, this box was mastered by Chris Bellman @ BG. It sounds fantastic! All made better by the fact you can buy it at 60% off at www.insound.com next time they have that sale.
Some warpage, but the SQ is excellent. Better than the originals I own.