Thoughts about buying a Bedini 100

Hello to all...

Have never had a tube amp. 2 vintage Bedini amps for sale close to me: Bedini 100 for $500, Bedini 150 for $900...

Thoughts/suggestions for those with vintage tube amp experience, especially Bedini owner/former owners.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions...
insearchofprat
Bedini amps are solid state. But they are pretty nice sounding as solid state goes. I recommend you get the filter capacitors in the power supply replaced before pressing them into service!
The lower-powered Bedini’s are renown for their good sound (the 10/10 and 25/25 are pure Class A). I don’t know if the same is true of the higher-powered models. They are all pretty old by now, and often in need of having their power supply caps replaced; my 25/25 did when I sold it a few years ago.
They are ss and the sound is ancient history pass on them plus they probably need recapping as well.
Many years ago, I owned the Bedini 25/25 amplifier and liked it very much.  

HOWEVER, as noted above by @atmasphere, I also suggest you have any Bedini amplifier you purchase get FULLY checked out that includes getting the filter capacitors in the power supply replaced before you start using the amplifier.   Because of its age, some of the wiring (and other parts) may also need to be replaced.   This could be expensive but I do not know.    

Maybe the more important question is how do you find a qualified Tech to do these repairs.  Based on the age of these amplifiers, maybe you should consider other newer amplifiers.   
You are missing a chance to buy two amps that can still compete with any of today's 4 figure amps! I have a 25/25 and a 150/150. Depending upon their past usage the power supply caps may not need immediate replacement.
I sent an email asking about their new Q series. I was very interested. Zero replies, not a good sign for buyer confidence.

I had a Bedini 100/100 and wish I still did. While you would never mistake it for a tube amp, it’s a great sounding solid state amp with the tightest bass you’ll ever hear.
Both John and Gary Bedini have passed away! As far as I know the company is gone! Will Vincent (autospec) in Idaho might know more. These are great amps and shouldn't be forgotten!
I used to have the 25/25.
they do run pretty warm, not sure if its possible or not, but before you buy can you check the main filter caps? If not,  then you have to assume they may need some work.

you can buy an ESR meter pretty inexpensively these days. a quick read will tell you if those main filter caps are shot or still good.

if you buy the amp, you may want to set aside some funds for new caps. they are not cheap and the newer caps are likely to be much smaller in physical size than the originals, so some crafting may be required to get them installed and wired up.

Bedini:  made some very nice amplifiers.  Even to today's standards they are very nice.  I repaired and upgraded some . 

I repaired and even upgraded his amps and I discussed my changes with John Bedini before he passed away and he liked my changes.  He was very helpful in discussing his circuitry and also went through the trouble to look through his storage facility for circuit boards and parts for his amps.  

I have kept my 250/250 MK II (upgraded) and i really like it.  I've compared his amps to other more well known amps and they compete very nicely.  

These amps have very clean circuitry that makes them relatively easy to work on and provides excellent sound.

For that price, I would grab them.  Even the higher powered amps.

enjoy

The amps are price fairly to slightly high. Unless they are rebuilt, then grab one. They really do need to have all electrolytics replaced.  I have had in my home 3 classics of the era,  when rebuilt, these amplifiers are all very good. Take a look around...

Bedini 25/25
Sumo Nine
Kinergetics Research KBA-75

Oddly,  before upgrading them, I would have put the Sumo slightly behind the other 2,  but after the rebuild and getting rid of some nasty caps on the boards,  I ended up liking it best by a small margin..... But really, all 3 redone would be excellent.   Tim 
I believe that an Agon member has my old KBA-75.... This is a nice amp, I would love to have it back. 
Spoke with tech about the BELDINI 100: said no mods, replacements or upgrades have been done. Assures me it could (probably) last another 10 years ( YEAH, RIGHT!)... Said to replace all the " necessaries" would be about $500, which might be reasonable but to me sounds like (again) too much - I really don't want to spend that much for a power amp...
I really want to spend less than $500: have one Parasound HCA-750a -  anyone's thoughts about using another of these to setup Parasounds as Mono amps ( take out the Yamaha)? Or suggest another alternative amp. I will want to bi-amp or at least bi-wire the KEFs...

THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS OR EXPERIENCED OPINIONS ?
A Bedini 100 will stomp a Parasound HCA-750A.....You would need to move many steps up the Parasound ladder to get in the league. I have never compared them side by side, but I’d say somewhere between the HCA 2200II and the HCA 3500 to get into the sound quality of the Bedini.... and power is not why.
Really nothing wrong with the HCA-750A, just understand its place.... It is just outclassed here.  The Bedini with caps updated is probably worth $600 to $800 MAX..... others can chime in,  but thats where I'd be.  I recommend trying to get the updates done and kept in that range. 
Since this is all new to me:

What would be the most important replacements to do 1st?

Can partial replacements be done? - can a tech evaluate what's still good and what should be replaced, instead of a blanket replacement?

And I'm sure this seems like a foolish question - but if I listen to it before (which I'm sure I should) - how do I know how 'well' it is working, or even how 'good' it might sound with replacement electronics?

The Bedini is a fairly simple amp- so if it works at all, then the main filter caps and the filter caps on the circuit boards should be replaced. That should take care of it if the amp is otherwise in good shape. This isn't that crazy hard to do. Once sorted out, they tend to be on the smoother side as most solid state amps go and that single quality puts them near the top of the heap to this day.
atmosphere

The electronics rework sounds simple for a competant tech - but should it cost around $500?
No, the new caps don't cost much. And an hour or less to install them! Anyway, unless there is a hum problem the caps are probably still good. You can use a variac to slowly ramp up the AC voltage to avoid stressing the caps.
Power supply caps are simple, get that done no matter what. On all 3 of my old class a units, cap replacement was a huge improvement.  roberjerman is correct,  The power supply filter caps are a simple switchout on this unit. 
The electronics rework sounds simple for a competant tech - but should it cost around $500?
Given what I've experienced doing exactly this, that doesn't sound that far off.

I just found this thread  .. I've never posted anything here so please go with me.

I have three Bedini 801 amps ... two that I bought from John an Gary when they were new and another that I bought on eBay about 15 years ago. The two I bought from John and Gary have never been touched. The other one I bought on eBay has been modified, but I have no idea who did the work. It has a big 802 transformer and an added resistor on the board. They all have the original caps. Here's the big question ..... Where do I go to find replacement caps for these amps? Has anyone out there used different caps with success? Where di you get them? The original caps are not made any more.  Also, how essential is it to replace the other smaller caps on the board? Thanks for reading.

@triofan ,From what I’ve read on these forums, @autospec has knowledge of Bedini amps. No affiliation,just remember reading that on Agon. Try reaching out to him.

If the amps produce hum through the speakers then replace the power supply caps. Otherwise leave them alone! The board caps don’t need replacement. Will Vincent (autospec) lives in Idaho and was friends with the Bedini brothers. I bought a custom-built SET tube amp from him. He does good work!

If your amps have not been used in awhile get a variac and power them up slowly to avoid stressing the ps caps.

Thank you both for the responses. The amps buzz through the speakers. I can tap on the caps and the noise will change. As far as I can tell, there are no other issues. I do know that the caps are dated 1988, so I guess I got some pretty good service from them. I still use them often so they haven't been sitting idle. How does one go about "Reaching Out" to Will Vincent? I'm new to these forums and a little unsure. Thanks again for the advice and responses

@autospec please contact me. Jeff LeFever - can reach me through my website: www.lefever.com I would like to discuss with you restoring my Bedini 25/25. THank you, Will.