Should I get an SL-1200G

I have a VPI Aires 3 with 10.5i tonearm and Dynavector XX2 Cartridge .
I purchased it new about 12 years ago .

I'm thinking of getting the new Technics SL-1200G Turntable .
I have another XX2 being retipped at Soundsmith and I will use it on the 1200G .
My question , Will the 1200g sound better or worst or lateral move ?

I am interested in trying a direct drive but only if it sounds better than my VPI .
Has anyone listened to the Aires 3 and 1200G ?

Any comments are appreciated.

abill
I went from a VPI Prime to the SL1200G and I couldn't be happier.  The Technics is a more set and forget type of table where my Prime needed constant fiddling.  I also find the bass to be much better with the Technics.  Let me put it this way, I bought the Prime and played a dozen or so records in the 1 1/2 years I owned it.  I bought the Technics and play records a couple of times a week since I bought it in August 2018.

Only you can decide if it is a good move or not but for me, it was a no brainer.  The only tweaks  I made to the Technics was replace the rubber mat with the Oracle hard mat and HRS record weight.
With SL1200G you will see what is a proper turntable is all about and why belt drive is a toy compared to Technics DD
Myself is interested in very casual listening of a few LP's. The 1500c with it's built in pre amp looks attractive. 
I was looking at the 1500c last week, For a few hundred more you get some really neat features in the next model up (1200GR?).
One problem: New 1500c made in China, but the SL1200GR and G made in Japan. 
One word of caution if you do buy the 1200, don't sell the Aries first as I believe you will realize you have taken a step or two or..... backwards. Just sayin.
Tooblue,

Have you listen to an Aries and SL1200G ?
Please explain your post .

If the 1200G is a step backwards than I won't buy one .
I may get an SP10 and make a plinth myself.

Spent a little time with the 1200G and liked it but no where near enough to sell my VPI Prime for and that was before I added the SMFA, Periferal Ring and SDS to the mix. With that said I feel the Aries is a step up from the Prime and that is what I have based my response on. When you make a decision such as this one it is always nice to know you can answer the question yourself by going back and forth with the two tables, just saw one of the 1200Gs on another site for around $3000.00 in near mint, so you wouldn't stand to lose much if you went that way. Good luck on your decision and please keep us posted as you make your decision and what your thoughts are after if you purchase the 1200G. Enjoy the music.
Tooblue , Thank you for the info, this is what I was waiting for .

I don't think I'll get the 1200G .
I'll look for a nice Sp10 MK2 and make a plinth or maybe a Garrard 301 but they are hard to find without paying $$$$.

Thanks again

The 1200G is certainly not a step backwards from an Aries. You need to go listen for yourself. The two tables sound completely different. I have the belt drive and the 1200G and the 1200G is the one I listen to the most. I do not think I could go back to belt drive unless I spent about 25K. Once you realize the benefits of the 1200G(direct drive) and whats possible, it really can compete with tables over 10K. You can also quickly switch out cartridges and headshells, both of which truly influence the sound a great deal more than the table. You also can control the torque which is a big deal. Its a great table and is easy to set up. It takes a while to learn the table and to get the most from it just like any table.
tzh21y , 

What's the belt drive turntable and cartridge you have ?

I'm still undecided , I'll see if the 1200G goes on sale Black Friday.

Thank you for the post .

@abill 

I'll look for a nice Sp10 MK2 and make a plinth

Good idea, i bought teak wood plinth from Asia for my ex SP-10 mkII and it was great until i bought Luxman PD-444 which is a better turntable. If you have money for Luxman PD-444 look for it and read about it. It's a heavyweight DD monster designed for two tonearms. You can also look for Denon DP-80. 

I have the VPI. its great, just do not listen to it that much. Sometimes I switch and Ill say, wow, that sounds great but then after a few days I am wanting to listen to the 1200G. The sp10 Mk 2 is a great table as well. I actually think the Aries is VPI’s best effort to date. I would not sell the Aries if I were you but its always nice to have belt drive and DD both if you can. Once you hear a good DD, you will know what I am saying.
Yes , tzh21y , I will keep the Aries , I enjoy it but I also want a direct drive .
Still undecided on what to get .