Review of TEAC NT-505

I purchased the NT-505 about two weeks ago and just posted a review in the Members Review forum if anyone is interested.
http://https//forum.audiogon.com/discussions/teac-nt-505-functional-review
128x1281extreme
Post removed 
Post removed 
Post removed 
Enjoyed that come back, Frank.

Kinda in the spirit of things you should consider changing your A'gon handle to cannibalfrank
I started this thread five months ago and after using the NT-505 feel compelled to submit an update.

1. I am still thrilled with this product. In my prior review did not emphasis what a great PREAMP this DAC is because I was using it with a preamp and was just using it as a DAC. I am now using it in place of a tube preamp that costs new more than twice the NT-505. The description of this product should include the word "Preamp" somewhere because it is a Preamp/DAC.

2. I moved the NT-505 to an area of my home without an Ethernet connection. Not a problem for me because I am using my Bluesound Node 2 as the wifi streamer and connected the NT-505 to the digital output from the Node 2 which bypasses the Node 2's DAC function and uses the NT-505's DAC and MQA decoding functions. So no degradation of sound with the Node 2 as the streamer only plus I get to use the BluOS app controller which personally I like much better than the Lumin Controller App. These comments would apply to the newer Node 2i as well and likely any other standalone streamer if a buyer wanted to use the NT-505 somewhere without a hard Ethernet connection. Now I consider the lack of built in wifi a plus rather than a negative.
Agree!

I use mine as a streamer/dac fed by ethernet and it’s great. Have posted my thoughts/reviews on the NT-505 across various other threads.

Have you settled on upconvert and filter settings that you prefer?

I prefer upconvert to DSD512 with the "wide" filter setting.

It is amazing the quality that you get for $2k US. Love the AK4497 DAC sound, dual monaural, analog output section and balanced outs.

Many streamer/DACs that cost substantially more than the Teac use DAC chips that are inferior to the AK4497. For example, the announced but not yet released Gold Note DS10 uses AK4493 and as a unit costs substantially more.
Is there a fixed volume output setting for using the 505 as a Dac only (feeding and outboard preamp) or do you just turn volume control up to 100%?
I'm looking for a DAC that I can roll discrete opamps. Can a person roll opamps in this unit (that is, use socketed opamps to replace the stock ones)? 
Please indulge a few questions from a new owner.

1) Do you use the HR Streamer App, or is there something better out there that works well with the NT-505?
2) How do you use the unit to listen to Internet Radio? On the app, the only option appears to be Tune-In Radio, but that doesn't seem to work.  So far, I have just used Bluetooth from my iPad, which doesn't seem very elegant.
3) When I choose the Spotify option, the HR app simply opens my Spotify app.  Is that all there is to that??

Thanks!
I use Bubbleupnp (android). You can also use the Lumin and Esoteric apps. And Roon.

You can use TuneIn with the Lumin app. It probably works the same on the HR streaming app. You have to set up a TuneIn account and favorite your stations then enter your login info into the Lumin app.

Yes, that is how Spotify works. It's the same with the Bluesound app also.
Okay, thanks, I've got Roon working now, and that's pretty slick.

It's a little annoying that they imply there's a built-in radio capability, but I'll give Lumin a whirl, too.
Will there be any sound quality distinction between using the bluesound as the streamer and using the TEAC as the streamer? I've read that the Bluesound doesn't sound great, relative to higher end streamers.
I own both Bluesound and Teac and Teac is Much better in every sound quality category, but Bluesounds app is better than Lumin’s which is what I use with Teac.
But no contest on sound and that’s what matters for me.
I agree in terms of sound quality the Teac and the Node don't belong in the same discussion. 
The Teac retails for $2,000, the Bluesound Node 2i for $550. one would expect the Teac to sound "better".  The Node 2i is a solid performer with no quality control issues and a great OS.
Sure, that’s true. Bluesound is good value for the price. If you only have 550 to spend, get the Node for sure. 

But the specific question was whether there were sound quality differences in between the Bluesound and the Teac. The answer is yes, massive sound quality differences between the two.

For that matter, there are also big sound quality improvements of the Teac over the $1500 Cambridge Audio 851n, which I also own. The Teac is just that good
Will there be any sound quality distinction between using the bluesound as the streamer and using the TEAC as the streamer? I've read that the Bluesound doesn't sound great, relative to higher end streamers.
The Bluesound sounds very good at its price point.  The TEAC just sounds a lot better.  The main difference is an increased level of detail, a "warmer", less "digital" sound with no glare, and the most surprising thing to me most was a much bigger soundstage and better imaging. 

The TEAC gets you much closer to the sound of a good vinyl rig and sounds a lot better than a mid-fi vinyl setup. 

The Bluesound isn't going to take you there.  It sounds good if that's your only point of reference but if you listen to it versus a good vinyl setup or high quality CD player the glare and graininess and lack of detail in the Bluesound will leave you wanting for more.  I made the mistake of doing that comparison.  I say mistake, because it highlighted what I was missing. I'm glad I did.  The TEAC plays more in the league of the rest of my sources and I get a lot more enjoyment from it.

Hi all.

For nt-505, a new update has been released with a bug fix for "standby", dated 05/26/2023.

https://teac.jp/int/product/nt-505/download

SYSTEM Firmware V1.53

External clock synchronization is now possible for COAXIAL/OPTICAL digital audio input.

Now you can sync with the same external clock as the PD-505T for playback.

Fixed an issue where the STANDBY/ON button on the remote control could not turn on the power.

On the last point with "standby", I (not only) had problems. What and how this time, it will be necessary to see. While I think, to update or not. In the past reincarnation, I did not reveal any advantages.

In this one, plus for working with the "clock", but I do not use the clock. )

Have anyone compared the NT-505 to a newer low price DAC like the Topping E30ii?

They are in two different DAC price and build quality levels. Apples and oranges. While I haven’t compared my NT-505 with the E30ii I can say that the NT-505 punches way above its weight class. I think I paid about $1,500 for mine new and I see they are selling used above $1,000 and the E30ii is selling below $200 used, if that means anything.

The NT-505 with the dual AK4497 chips was discontinued and replaced by the NT-505-X with dual ESS Technology ES9038 Q2M chips.

Yes, different levels, I know. The Eversolo dmp-a6 is more comparable to nt-505. A Norwegian audio forum has a detailed report on the Eversolo compared to the Topping e30ii. He found that the Eversolo sounded noticeably better, with a larger musical three dimensional space, less flat than the Topping. 

I have also been researching streamer/DACs for a second system but have become very suspicious of the "flavor of the month" DACs that keep popping up. They all seem to follow a pattern. Made in Asia. Well known audio reviewers all start reviewing them at the same time on their YouTube channels. Lengthy and professionally written forum posts and online reviews all with glowing reviews. All over the top descriptions of why the DACs are the best in class. Never mind that they just said the same thing about another DAC last month. Not one has a negative criticism about anything. Then the next month they all seem to move on to the next DAC like a coordinated pack. So unless you really know and trust the source, take all reviews with a huge lump of salt.

I was lucky enough to purchase a NT-505 for $500 off Craigslist with the intent of doing a quick flip to help save for a future purchase. Instead, I’ve decided to keep the Teac and sell my current all-in-one NAD. This NT-505 is such a sleeper of a DAC/renderer while playing into my sound preferences - somewhat reminding me of my old MHDT Paridisea, but with greater bass and soundstage height, and not as “rounded.” Great thread and spot-on, OP. 

@toro3 You got a great deal at $500 especially if the ethernet connection works because that is the achilles heel / point of failure of many TN-505’s including mine. If that happens you have to use an external streamer. I use a Bluesound. Check the version number in your menu and verify you have the latest firmware version 1.53. If not you can go to the TEAC international web site to download and install it.

The NT-505 has the AKM VERITA  AK4497 dac chip. I love the AKM sound. Very natural. The newer NT-505-X has an ESS chip.

I’m about two updates behind, but it’s looking I may need to use my spouse’s PC to run the update. The Ethernet connection is solid, but was aware this was an issue with this model. My plan is to ultimately obtain a used OpticalRendu, so not too concerned if the Ethernet network port ultimately fails.

Currently using this as a preamp and Roon endpoint, which has worked out flawlessly so far. Short delay with 4X upsampling is perhaps my favorite. 512 dsd is my second favorite depending on the type of music and mood.

I’m really unsure what to believe in life, but I’d like to think there’s principles of balance within the universe. About a month prior I had sold speakers on CL at a significant price reduction only to find out that some of the cash was counterfeit. Two weeks later I was able to obtain this unit in pristine condition from an extremely nice gentleman. Again, probably coincidence, but I’d like to think it’s something more than that :)

Wonderful sounding DAC - made me realize how much I disliked my previous all-in-one.