Review of TEAC NT-505

I purchased the NT-505 about two weeks ago and just posted a review in the Members Review forum if anyone is interested.
http://https//forum.audiogon.com/discussions/teac-nt-505-functional-review
128x1281extreme

Showing 5 responses by 1extreme

I started this thread five months ago and after using the NT-505 feel compelled to submit an update.

1. I am still thrilled with this product. In my prior review did not emphasis what a great PREAMP this DAC is because I was using it with a preamp and was just using it as a DAC. I am now using it in place of a tube preamp that costs new more than twice the NT-505. The description of this product should include the word "Preamp" somewhere because it is a Preamp/DAC.

2. I moved the NT-505 to an area of my home without an Ethernet connection. Not a problem for me because I am using my Bluesound Node 2 as the wifi streamer and connected the NT-505 to the digital output from the Node 2 which bypasses the Node 2's DAC function and uses the NT-505's DAC and MQA decoding functions. So no degradation of sound with the Node 2 as the streamer only plus I get to use the BluOS app controller which personally I like much better than the Lumin Controller App. These comments would apply to the newer Node 2i as well and likely any other standalone streamer if a buyer wanted to use the NT-505 somewhere without a hard Ethernet connection. Now I consider the lack of built in wifi a plus rather than a negative.

They are in two different DAC price and build quality levels. Apples and oranges. While I haven’t compared my NT-505 with the E30ii I can say that the NT-505 punches way above its weight class. I think I paid about $1,500 for mine new and I see they are selling used above $1,000 and the E30ii is selling below $200 used, if that means anything.

The NT-505 with the dual AK4497 chips was discontinued and replaced by the NT-505-X with dual ESS Technology ES9038 Q2M chips.

I have also been researching streamer/DACs for a second system but have become very suspicious of the "flavor of the month" DACs that keep popping up. They all seem to follow a pattern. Made in Asia. Well known audio reviewers all start reviewing them at the same time on their YouTube channels. Lengthy and professionally written forum posts and online reviews all with glowing reviews. All over the top descriptions of why the DACs are the best in class. Never mind that they just said the same thing about another DAC last month. Not one has a negative criticism about anything. Then the next month they all seem to move on to the next DAC like a coordinated pack. So unless you really know and trust the source, take all reviews with a huge lump of salt.

@toro3 You got a great deal at $500 especially if the ethernet connection works because that is the achilles heel / point of failure of many TN-505’s including mine. If that happens you have to use an external streamer. I use a Bluesound. Check the version number in your menu and verify you have the latest firmware version 1.53. If not you can go to the TEAC international web site to download and install it.

The NT-505 has the AKM VERITA  AK4497 dac chip. I love the AKM sound. Very natural. The newer NT-505-X has an ESS chip.