Phone Pre (new or used) Under $1000 to replace Dynavector P-75

I have a Technics GR1200 with a Dynavector 20x2L cart going to a Dynavector P-75 phono pre - Synergistic Combo for sure.  I am considering upgrading the phono stage, but I'd like to keep it to around a $1k.  MM or MC could work.  I have several MM's I could replace the Dynavector with including a Soundsmith Carmen MKII.

That being said, I'm not sure I can find one new for $1K, but maybe used, tjhat could better the Dynavector.  Though Im sure many will argue that.  Im not in a position to go and hear anything where I live, so that is a bit of a problem.

I have Thiel CS2.4 speakers running on a BAT VK-3ix pre and a Parasound A21 amp.  The preamp is tube the amp is SS.  I was thinking a tube phono pre might fit the bill better but I could be swayed either way.

Right now a short list would be:

Croft RIAA (new)
Audio Research PH-3 (used)
EAR? (used)
???

last_lemming
Well I found a used Audio Research PH-3SE I’m rolling the dice on. 

I hope its it’s age isn’t it’s achellies heal
First off, Merry Christmas. 

So I got an early Christmas gift in the mail yesterday from  The Music Room, the used ARC PH3 SE phono pre. Super quick shipping, well packaged and excellent shape. I would definitely order from them again and probably will in the future.

I changed the cart on my 1200GR to the SS Carmen MKii, hooked up the ARC phono pre and flipped the switch. Not too much time on it yet but so far very nice. 

It has Sovtek 6922 tubes, any thoughts on a better compliment?
I just recently got a serviced 25 yrs old SS true balanced Electrocompaniet EC-3 w/ balanced MC board for under $900 off eBay and this true A class preamp performs just absolutely fantastic.
Plays very low output MCs such as 0.12 mV Highphonic MC R5 with power and nuances I haven´t experienced before. I do believe I couldn´t have got a better vintage or new preamp anywhere. It also has a true balanced input for CD. All in all, sheer quality by design and sound, weights like sin and runs hot as a true A class amp should.
@last_lemming  Telefunken E88CC from Upscale Audio will take it to the next level.
Well the better!!! At $350/tube a set of three would cost me more than the preamp!

im thinking $200 for all three tubes - or less. 
RAM tubes
Roger has some of the best tube test gear on planet !!!!
or call Andy at Vintage Tube
he does NOT like  the Russians much but last time I spoke w him I bought some from him for an ARC

congrats on the ARC
good gear
Man, this old ARC PH3 SE is soooo nice. I can only imagine how good a modern ARC unit would sound. 

I’ve been trying to put my finger on what makes is so nice but a true explanation eludes me so far. The best answer I can give at this time is compared to the Dynavector is fuller and more natural. 

Reardless, I did purchase some Seimens 7308’s (steel pins) as a first shot at tube rolling. Hopefully all goes well. 
You did put your finger on it. Tubes sound more natural. Especially in the phono section of a system!