New Technics SU-G700 Mk II on the horizon

Just an FYI: Perusing Dailyaudiophile.com I came across this from Twittering Machines;
https://twitteringmachines.com/technics-announces-the-su-g700m2-integrated-amplifier/

The MkII version will use the GaN output devices and other improvements derived from the Reference SU-R1000 integrated. The price only goes up about $100 compared to the now, discontinued version. 

I'm glad I came across this on my daily dive into dailyaudiophile.com (which everyone should do) so I cancelled my order and had it apply to the MkII when it comes out in October. 

It may not sound like much to the casual observer but to get that level of improvement and stay in the Technics lineup says a lot since the SU-R1000 is a ten grand hit to the wallet and if you have efficient speakers, 70 watts is plenty.

All the best,
Nonoise
128x128nonoise
I think that will be a fantastic product at that price point.  It will have both good looks and good sound.   :)

Wow!! very good news, Technics seems to be really striving for hiend again since the release of the SE-R1, before that it was 30 years back with their "New Class-A" SE-A3
http://bilder.hifi-forum.de/max/613515/technics-se-a3_614277.jpg
and other "Quarter-A" integrateds

And who could forget their speakers back then.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SB-10000.html
http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SB-7000.html

Cheers George
Yes, audio is going through some exciting times again. 
It's way overdue.

All the best,
Nonoise

https://news.panasonic.com/jp/press/data/2021/09/jn210907-2/jn210907-2.html

MC added

translated text

Panasonic Newsroom Top Press Release Technics Stereo Integrated Amplifier SU-G700M2 Released

PDFprinting

September 7, 2021

Press release

Inheriting the technology developed in the reference class SU-R1000

Launched Technics Stereo Integrated Amplifier SU-G700M2

Achieves powerful speaker drive and dynamic low-frequency reproduction

Product name Stereo integrated amplifier Product numberSU-G700M2colour-S (silver), -K (black)Manufacturer's suggested retail price (tax included)298,000 yen release date November 26 Annual production 200 units

Panasonic Corporation will release the SU-G700M2 stereo integrated amplifier with full digital configuration as a technics brand grand class integrated amplifier from November 26th.

This product inherits the high-resolution and information-rich musical expression of the conventional model SU-G700, and is a high-speed response and low-noise power supply "Advanced Speed ​​Silent Power" developed with the SU-R1000, which is the reference class of the highest class. "Supply" is adopted, and powerful speaker drive and dynamic low-pass reproduction are realized. In addition, while inheriting the structure in which the inside of the chassis is divided into three and the high-rigidity chassis with the bottom chassis as two layers of steel plates, the parts that contribute to improving sound quality have been thoroughly reviewed and adopted in various places, resulting in higher purity and higher resolution. Achieves improved sound. With these, you can enjoy clear and energetic music playback. Furthermore, the PHONO input is compatible with MC type cartridges in addition to MM type cartridges, and is compatible with various sources and peripheral devices from analog sound sources to digital sound sources. Silver and black are added to the lineup, and you can choose the color that matches your audio equipment.

We will propose this product to audio users who pursue discerning sound as a full-scale integrated amplifier that inherits the high-quality sound technology of high-end models.

<Features>1.
 Full digital amplifier that inherits the technology developed in the reference class SU-R1000 and realizes powerful speaker drive.
2. In addition to the 3-split structure inside the chassis and the 2-layer steel plate chassis,
 parts that contribute to improving sound quality are used in various places.
3. PHONO input is compatible with MC type cartridges in addition to MM type cartridges.
 Compatible with various sound sources and peripherals from analog to digital
[Contact]

DIGA Audio Consultation
Service Toll Free Number 0120-878-982 (Reception 9:00 to 18:00)

[Features]1.
 Full digital amplifier that inherits the technology developed in the reference class SU-R1000 and realizes powerful speaker drive.

This product is an integrated amplifier with the latest full digital configuration of Technics, which inherits the technology developed in the reference class SU-R1000. In order to further draw out the potential of the full digital amplifier "JENO Engine", the high-speed response and low-noise power supply "Advanced Speed ​​Silent Power Supply" developed with the SU-R1000 is adopted, and a high-speed operation device similar to the power supply section of the SU-R1000 is adopted. GaN-FET and SiC diodes are used to improve the responsiveness of high-speed switching power supplies. In addition, a wide variety of speakers can be driven with ideal amplitude and phase characteristics by using the load matching algorithm "LAPC" that optimizes the characteristics of the amplifier according to the characteristics of the speakers.

● "Advanced Speed ​​Silent Power Supply" that realizes high-speed response and low noise

Inheriting the technology obtained in the development of SU-R1000, we adopted the power supply "Advanced Speed ​​Silent Power Supply" that combines a high-speed switching power supply and a low noise regulator. Similar to the SU-R1000, the switching frequency has been increased from the conventional 100 kHz to approximately 400 kHz, reducing the generation of ripple noise and noise interference in the audio band. The high-speed response instantly supplies stable energy to the power amplifier section and enhances the drive capability. In addition, by using a low noise regulator circuit and thoroughly reducing the noise of the power supply, high-purity music playback is realized.

 High-speed operation device GaN-FET and SiC diode are used as in the power supply section of SU-R1000.

Similar to the power amplifier power supply of SU-R1000, GaN-FET and SiC diodes, which are high-speed operating devices, are used to improve the responsiveness of high-speed switching power supplies. As a result, a stable power supply is realized by following the instantaneous change of the music signal. The drive capability of the speaker has been improved, enabling bass reproduction full of energy.

GaN-FET (left), SiC diode (right)
● Equipped with full digital amplifier "JENO Engine" and "LAPC"

Technics' original full digital amplifier "JENO Engine" and "LAPC (Load Adaptive Phase Calibration)" that optimizes the characteristics of the amplifier according to the characteristics of the speaker by measuring and analyzing the characteristics of the speaker, the resolution and It realizes music playback with excellent spatial expression.

2. In addition to the 3-split structure inside the chassis and the 2-layer steel plate chassis,
 parts that contribute to improving sound quality are used in various places.
● High-rigidity chassis with a 3-split structure inside the chassis and a 2-layer steel plate structure

Similar to the conventional model SU-G700, the power supply unit, power amplifier unit, and digital / analog input unit are divided into three parts. In addition, this product has a two-stage upper and lower power supply unit and is surrounded by a steel plate. It has a shield case structure. In addition, the steel plate that partitions each part uses a high-rigidity chassis with excellent vibration damping, which has a two-layer structure in which a 1.2 mm-thick steel plate bottom chassis is overlaid with a 2 mm-thick steel plate. These reduce the interference between each part, suppress unnecessary vibration, and eliminate the loss of detail due to the influence of noise.

● Select high-quality sound parts that utilize the know-how gained from the development of SU-R1000

In order to further improve the sound quality, we have selected high-quality sound parts by utilizing the know-how gained in the development of SU-R1000. The capacitors of the power supply section for the power amplifier have been changed to high-grade parts. In addition, the parts that contribute to sound quality improvement, such as using non-magnetic brass screws for the connection between the speaker terminal and the amplifier block and increasing the purity of the transmission signal to the speaker, have been thoroughly reviewed in various places. Adopted for.

Capacitor of power supply for power amplifier Brass screw 3. PHONO input is compatible with MC type cartridges in addition to MM type cartridges.
 Compatible with various sound sources and peripherals from analog to digital
● PHONO input that supports MC type cartridges in addition to MM type

PHONO input supports MC type cartridges in addition to conventional MM type cartridges. Noise reduction is thoroughly implemented by adding a regulator to the power supply line for MC type and lowering the impedance of the wiring pattern. Switching between MM type and MC type can be done by setting. In addition to USB-B support, it also supports coaxial / optical digital input for digital input. It supports various sources and peripherals from analog sound sources to digital sound sources.

PHONO circuit

Rear terminal

● Adopted a shield case to prevent noise from entering the PHONO circuit,
 and changed the PHONO ground terminal to high-quality parts.

The entire PHONO circuit compatible with MC type is covered with a shield case to reduce the influence of noise even when the signal is input to a MC type cartridge with a weak signal. In addition, the ground terminal has been changed to higher quality parts to improve the ease of attaching the ground wire.

Ground terminal
● High-purity music playback with thorough noise countermeasures

"LC power filter" and "power conditioner" that realize high-purity sound reproduction by noise reduction, "Battery Driven Clock Generator" that reproduces clear sound image localization and clear space with thorough noise countermeasures, unnecessary circuits Equipped with various high-quality sound technologies such as the "Optimally Activated Circuit System" that stops and suppresses deterioration of sound quality, it can reproduce high-purity sound from analog sound sources to digital sound sources.

LC power filter Power conditioner Battery circuit[Other features]● Available in two colors, silver and black. High-quality design such as spin processing of volume knob

In addition to silver, a new black model will be released this time. This allows you to choose a color that matches other audio equipment you are using, such as players and speakers. In addition, the volume and input selector knobs made of solid aluminum are spin-processed not only on the front but also on the sides, and the exterior design inherits the SU-R1000 for a higher quality finish.

-S (silver)Input selector knob (silver)-K (black)Volume knob (silver)【Main Specifications】 SU-G700M2ComprehensivePower supply AC 100 V, 50/60 Hz power consumption95 W / Approximately 0.5 W during standby External dimensions (width x height x depth) 430 x 148 x 428 mm mass About 12.7 kg Amplifier section Rated output70 W + 70 W
(1 kHz, THD 0.5%, 8 Ω, 20 kHz LPF, JEITA)
140 W + 140 W
(1 kHz, THD 0.5%, 4 Ω, 20 kHz LPF, JEITA)Frequency characteristic PHONO (MM): 20 Hz to 20 kHz
(RIAA DEVIATION ± 1 dB, 8 Ω)
PHONO (MC): 20 Hz to 20 kHz
(RIAA DEVIATION ± 1 dB, 8 Ω)
LINE: 5 Hz to 80 kHz (-3) dB, 8 Ω)
DIGITAL: 5 Hz to 90 kHz (-3 dB, 8 Ω)Recommended load impedance4 Ω to 16 ΩInput Sensitivity /
Input Impedance PHONO (MM): 2.5 mV / 47 kΩ
PHONO (MC): 300 µV / 100 Ω
LINE: 200 mV / 22 kΩTerminal part head phone Stereo (φ6.3 mm) 0.75 mW, 32 Ω x 1PC input Back, USB B type connector x 1Analog input LINE INP in jack x 2PHONO (MM / MC)Pin jack x 1Digital input Optical digital input Optical angle terminal x 2Coaxial digital input Pin jack x 2Analog output LINE OUT Pin jack x 1PRE OUT Pin jack x 1System connection System controlφ3.5 mm jack x 1Supported
formats Coaxial digital input PCM: Maximum 192 kHz / 24 bit Optical digital input PCM: up to 96 kHz / 24 bit PC input (USB type B)USB standard: USB2.0 High-speed
USB Audio Class 2.0, Asynchronous mode
Playback format: PCM (32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384 kHz / 16, 24, 32 bit)
DSD (2.8 ) MHz / 5.6 MHz / 11.2 MHz)
DSD control mode: ASIO Native mode, DoP mode accessories Power cord x 1, remote control x 1,
remote control batteries (AAA x 2)

-DSD is a registered trademark of Sony Corporation.

that's all

Panasonic Corporation

Category: Home appliances (  Products for individuals) New products and services

Related information (Last updated: September 07, 2021)

@blister58, 
Thanks for that 1st post and translation. There was more info than what the English speaking press received. I hope that 200 units annually only applies to this year.

All the best,
Nonoise
Not a deal breaker for me. I'd like to see one more set of RCA inputs and an HDMI as well but I'll take it as is.

All the best,
Nonoise

I checked with Music Direct when I got their new catalog showing the M2 with the updates but they're not in stock yet. I made sure I'm still on the waiting list and now it's just a matter of time, which is killing me. 😄

In the meantime, here's two recent reviews of the SU-R1000 to hold you over:

https://twitteringmachines.com/review-technics-stereo-integrated-amplifier-su-r1000/

&

https://www.stereophile.com/content/technics-su-r1000-integrated-amplifier

All the best,
Nonoise

I too ordered a SU-G700 and it was scheduled to be here tomorrow. I already  arranged to send it back and wait it out for the M2. I am super curious to know how it sounds. Will the M2 be available in February as Technics has told me….will these be in very short supply as has been implied? Will the M2 give noticeable improvements in sound or are we talking 2%. It seems many small details have been addressed. I wish we had some reviews of the M2 to compare.

I'm bummed to hear it won't be until February until the M2 comes out. I was under the impression it would be December or just a bit later but I've waited this long so whats another couple of months?

I wish I had answers to your questions but I'm more in the dark than you. I've yet to get any response from Technics and they guys at Music Direct have no idea. I was told as long as I'm on the waiting list (which I've been since they first announced it on the date of this thread) I'll get one. 

As for the number of units that are going to be made, your guess is as good as mine. If the info above is correct, then there will only be 200 units per year, which will make them rather scarce. As for the sound, if it's anything like the SU-R1000, it should be quite a bit more than 2% better than the standard SU-G700. 

All the best,
Nonoise

Well it’s certainly something to look forward to either way. Technics doesn’t seem to do things halfway. I am quite excited ;)

thanks for the reply;)

@nonoise 100% agree. I loved my SU-G700, but as soon as I heard the MK2 was coming I returned it rather paying a bit more and getting a bit more later with the revamped version. However when I contacted the seller and asked when I could expect the MK2, they said release in December and then probably another 1-2 months because they heard (don’t know if true) Technics was moving it’s assembly to Malaysia I think?

I wasn’t gonna go that long (October to February) with out my beloved SU-G700, so I got crazy and looked at the SU-R1000. It so happened that the GBP was taking a killing and USD rate was about 1:1.25 so with a first time purchaser discount I was able to get a new SU-R1000 to my door for 2k less then advertised retail here in America.

Extremely happy with it and in having had both now the SU-G700 and the SU-R1000, the SU-R is more sonically true to it’s source material and neutral, where the SU-G has a little more digital glare and almost reverb like qualities with regards to microdynamics. Depending on what the pairing from your DAC to your SU-G listening fatigue can set in. Only in the sense that you can audibly here what the SU-G and LAPC are doing to your sound. I feel that the ADC of the SU-R is impeccably detailed and accurate, far more than the SU-G, but bass, sound field depth and and holographic presentation was not what I would expect considering the price difference between the two. I was hoping for more from the SU-R. But what I can say is that the moving coil phono stage, along with the electronic crosstalk cancellation and DSP cartridge optimization settings within the Technics, you will not be disappointed while listening to vinyl in any way shape or form with this thing. If anything I can honestly say that it’s the best sounding vinyl I have ever been able to get out of my system pairing it with the DSP settings of the Technics (Teac TT, XLR to MC stage with Ortofon MC Blue cartridge).

Sadly I would only recommend the SU-R to big vinyl lovers, and ultimately was more impressed by the SU-G just for it’s sheer brilliance of price point and overall incredible sound (really enjoy the LAPC feature when first hearing it). Not that that you are doesn’t do all those things, and many more things better, but again the SU-G was my first love and it really opened my eyes and ears when first listing.

@ja_kub_sz Thanks for the detailed breakdown. And congrats on the discount you got with the SU-R1000. That’s quite the savings. Of all the reviews on the SU-R1000, the last two from Stereophile and Twittering Machines really got my attention and whetted my appetite even more.

All the best,
Nonoise

I’ve had about 5 integrated amps for extended listening periods and can’t say enough good things about the SU-G700, and would absolutely recommend the MK2 with the new trickle down tech from the SU-R. Honestly if my wife gets into music listening I might grab the MK2 for her, since I’m gifting her my old TT she picked me up last year along with about 30 records I bought for her.

100% would grab the SU-GMK2

I love the SU-R, and really wouldn’t (hadn’t) considered another integrated amplifier. It just checks so many boxes. But the ADC which some rave about (detail, staging, separation, etc) kinda left me wanting more from the Technics, which for some is unforgivable considering it’s price. But I never had any intentions of using the SU-R as a stand alone and have my Musetec MH-DA005 DAC (incredible!!!), but what really makes my jaw hit the floor is how I can listen to digital music through my Innuos Zen MK3 + Phoenix USB, and then drop down that same vinyl record and have to ask myself "no which one sounds better".

The Technics SU-R’d DSP and MC phono stage is just that good! Really is something special considering everything it does and just how well it does it.

But great part is the SU-G700 has more character in sound with it’s Burr-Brown DAC. And I’ll be honest I feel there’s maybe more depth in pairing difference with the SU-G then the SU-R. Where the SU-R being more neutral let’s your speakers, amp and DAC shine a little more in summation. But the SU-G with it’s more colored sound and implementation of LAPC I feel like it could be a sound quality multiplier depending on what equipment you use.

I felt the SU-G really turned the detail and sound field depth of my Gustard X26pro to 11, and had a more audible change. Where as the SU-R didn’t have the jump in sound. Don’t get me wrong the SU-R sounded better (detail, decay, staging), but it didn’t have the that distinct change in sound while swapping out different DAC’s.

Whatever the SU-G does to your sound (analog in and then digital augmentation and then analogue out) you’ll really hear it’s difference for better or worse. My only complaint was again that I felt there was more of a bright and digitally harsh sound to some music and then an almost reverb like effect to some vocals. It really made old familiar music sound different, but some people might not like it’s coloration. I liked it, but I knew that I was hearing "it" (the SU-G) rather then hearing what was there (the original music).

No, I sent back the MK1 and then m waiting for the whole credit to go through. They didn’t have it in their system yet but I made it clear I wanted a MK2. Technics told me February ish ship dates for US customers. Hopefully that stands.

Once I read the details, I really felt it would be worth the wait. It’s a lot of tweaks to what is reported to be a great platform and I am sure we will start to see reviews soon. Waiting with my homeees…😎

Post removed 

Well, I woke up this morning and while checking my emails and reading up on how the world is going to pot, a new email came in with a shipping notice that something is coming my way from Music Direct. 

It could only be one thing so I called them to verify and hopefully, by Monday, I'll be the proud owner of the new Technics SU-G700M2. 👍😄👍

Not bad considering the wait. 

All the best,
Nonoise

That's great news! Excited for you. If it had XLR I/Os it would be on my short list, that is, if my PS Audio GCC 250 (purchased when they first came out) ever quits on me

Well lets hope it doesn't any time soon. 👍

Yes, it would be great for some to have the XLRs but I use short (1 meter) ICs so there's that. However, it would be nice to see just one more set of RCA inputs and maybe a HDMI input but I'm not going to obsess over that. It's the sound that I'm interested in. 

All the best,
Nonoise

Hello @mr_bill ,

I don't know where to begin but first thing is, this is not going back. First day, cold out of the box, it was a tad sinewy but showed lots of promise. It exhibited the fastest break in I've experienced. On the 2nd day it fleshed out some and on the 3rd day, not one hour ago, it blossomed quite a bit without losing any clarity or detail. 

Like Andrew Robinson said of it's predecessor, it doesn't sound like anything, really. Just music coming forth and very pleasantly natural in presentation. No sugarcoating, highlighting or imbalance that I can hear, but it just now threw me for a loop with that blossoming that I mentioned. More meat on the bones, so to speak. Still early so who knows if I start looking for my jaw tomorrow. 😄

Those GaNfets are incredibly fast: they hear everything. Nothing escapes them. I thought I was hearing so much more on those 1st two days but just today with that added body came even more musical information. Separation is top notch and though not deep in soundstage, there is lots of layering going on. I have the easiest time conjuring mental images. They just come right to the fore (most welcome).

I'm fiddling with Coax and Toslink cables for digital out on my SACD player and still find the RCA outs to sound best. There seems to be no way of messing up the sound, just a change of character. I even took out my TV soundbar and now enjoy TV through my stereo rig.

Build quality is top drawer (having Panasonic as parent company does wonders). I've seen this level of fit 'n finish on much more expensive stuff. I thought I'd be looking for a CDT but what I have sounds fabulous as is (still I'd like everything to match 👍). Hope that satisfies until I come back up for air sometime later.

All the best,
Nonoise

Ah, @mr_bill , you caught me after listening to Anais Reno and Lady Blackbird. I sit about 7.5' from the plane of my speakers and both sound like they were about 10' away with a level of clarity I've not previously experienced. With my Marantz they just okay, with the Technics, absolutely wonderful. 

The separation I mentioned last week is much, much better as well as the layering. There are now distinct rows and what is placed towards the back stays locked in place, just like the engineer wanted, with lateral presence in that layer. Kind of what you'd hear in real life.

It fleshed out even more (just today) with a lower midrange and base to die for. I'm talking real presence without absolutely any bloat or smear. Both my Marantz and my Kinki don't do what the Technics does. The Kinki betters the Marantz with a bold, detailed and in your face presentation but lacks the Technics effortlessness, grace, texture, tone, and naturalness. This is real iron fist in velvet glove performance. I really can't stress enough the naturalness of the Technics. 

For awhile I thought that there was something missing as it was so engaging but light in tone. I was just too greedy and wanted it all from the start. For anyone who says break in is a myth, just smile and leave them alone to their misery, unaware of what is within their reach.

All this prompted me to rearrange my speakers a bit and now I have some of the best imaging I've heard. Ever. What made me aware of it was while playing Bach's Solo Cello Suite No.1 in G Major-Prelude from Dialoghi, by Elinor Frey, I noticed that Elinor is not facing directly at the listener but just right of center, facing a bit to the left. When she played, the body of the cello came out so robustly that it traveled some to the left speaker and that was when I noticed a bit of a blank area dead center.

I've never experienced that with my previous two integrateds. The lengths Technics has gone to to lower the noise floor and deliver the cleanest signal is evident in everything I'm playing now. Please don't anyone confuse clean with stark, shrill, dry or etched. I've never winced once with the Technics and I have with the previous ones mentioned. It happened with strong female singers as they belt out the tunes and some horns and woodwinds. With the Technics, they just get louder like they would in real life, which leads me to what the Technics does so well: it scales dynamically like a champ. 

I can't tell you how many times I'd adjusted the volume to a nice, acceptable level (for apartment living) only to quickly reach for the remote to bring the volume down a bit when a singer puts in some real lung power. 

I've yet to delve into rock as I don't really listen to it anymore but some Black Keys sounded especially grungy and cleaner than I've heard. That's about it for now, except that I'm sorely tempted to say "to heck with it" and just get the matching SL-G700 SACD player and call it a day until I pass on from this mortal coil.

All the best,
Nonoise

The Kinki EXM is a real good integrated so that adds more praise to the Technics. 
what speakers are you using?

I’m using a pair of JBL 4319 monitors. For the first few days I thought that the JBLs didn’t have enough body as the sound was so clean but a tad bit lean. After things fleshed out over the past week, my CD case’s glass doors now vibrate in sympathy with not only the base, but the lower mids as well. Now I have to close them completely until they latch shut. I’m even feeling those vibes in my body over a much wider range or music.

They’re rated at 38Hz-40Hz (-6db) but when the mids and base are realistically reproduced, as the Technics does, believe me when I say they’re not base light. Not in the least.

And, yes, the Kinki is one great integrated and can run over the Technics, so to speak, but it doesn’t have the finesse and naturalness. Picture calm and strong compared to excited and strong. Both can do the trick but I’d never tire of the Technics.

All the best,
Nonoise

Oh, one more thing. SACDs playing through the Technics have a definite edge over most CDs. There's that something, that je ne sais quoi that CDs don't normally have unless they're mastered by an artist and not some guy just doing his job. 

The Technics processes the signal as intended and it shows. 

All the best,
Nonoise

FYI: I directed someone looking to upgrade either his Linn speakers, or his components. I directed him to the SU- G700 MkII. StereoNET has a review out now, BUT, it seemed the review intentionally avoided saying it was GaN based, instead emphasizing Digital amplification. Seemed odd to me

The Technics SL-G700 SACD/CD player is on my list to upgrade from my Oppo 105, which I bought strictly for SACD/DVD-As, but even with upgraded OEM power supply, IEC etc, the SACD playback does not stand up against my Audio Alchemy DDP-1 + PS 5 and Audiolab 6000CDT transport playing the identical CD layer vs SACD layer

I read that same Stereonet review and missed that it didn't mention the use of GaN FETs. I guess from all my reading up on reviews I took it for granted and just didn't notice that. Maybe it wasn't that big a deal to the reviewer who should have know better.

I agree with your choice of going for the SL-G700 SACD player as one dedicated to  a particular format is better than a jack of all trades since there's no short cutting and therefore compromising.

Even though I was told by MusicDirect that it wouldn't be that big an improvement over my Marantz SA-15S2b, after listening to the SU_G700M2, I think their SACD player will extract that much more out of a recording (both CD and SACD) than the 9 year old Marantz can.

All the best,
Nonoise

I have been using SL-G700 SACD directly feeding the SU-G700 (original) via coax digital out which I prefer over analog out.  I have found Direct digital out has a "quicker" sound, less processed sounding, though analog out sounds "warmer".   Of course, when listening to SACDs, one has to use analog out.  

This is a quote from the Peachtree GaN 1 Beta thread:  

The GaN 1 is also designed so that it does NOT require a digital-to-analog-converter (DAC). The digital audio signal at the input directs the amplifier outputs to drive the speakers. Although DACs have continued to improve over the years, there is no DAC better than NO DAC!

Thanks for the impressions. I haven't tried digital out after the first few days and the SU-G700 has fleshed out some since. I'll give it a try later one to see how digital out now fares.

All the best,
Nonoise

Yes, worth a try;..."less is more".  One thing for certain, I cannot go back to listening to DACs or Class A/B amps again.   

If you use your own separate DAC and connect a digital cable (S/PDIF) to the Technics amp, there would be too much back and forth converting (digital to analog to digital to analog).

If one uses their own external dac connecting with an analog connection to the Technics amp, it would then and only then use Technics as a stand alone amp by passing Technics own built in DAC.

Correct me if I am wrong please, I am sure it would help others as well.

For users who heard the Technics amp, did you feel adding in your own DAC helped or were you already very satisfied with the built in DAC within the Technics amp?

It’s a matter of taste, like all things audio. You won’t know until you try it. I love the sound regardless of whether I use the digital or analog inputs. The only way I don’t like it is with Coax, but that’s me. If I were stuck with just one choice, I’d use the Toslink digital input and call it a day. With all the talk about which DAC is better, I’m always tempted to say to heck with DACs and just get the Technics.

I’ve posted this before but it’s worth doing so again,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0iM7mwEC98

For some reason, any YT video I try won’t fully embed but the link works if you click on it.

All the best,
Nonoise