New Technics SU-G700 Mk II on the horizon

Just an FYI: Perusing Dailyaudiophile.com I came across this from Twittering Machines;
https://twitteringmachines.com/technics-announces-the-su-g700m2-integrated-amplifier/

The MkII version will use the GaN output devices and other improvements derived from the Reference SU-R1000 integrated. The price only goes up about $100 compared to the now, discontinued version. 

I'm glad I came across this on my daily dive into dailyaudiophile.com (which everyone should do) so I cancelled my order and had it apply to the MkII when it comes out in October. 

It may not sound like much to the casual observer but to get that level of improvement and stay in the Technics lineup says a lot since the SU-R1000 is a ten grand hit to the wallet and if you have efficient speakers, 70 watts is plenty.

All the best,
Nonoise
128x128nonoise

Showing 3 responses by ja_kub_sz

@nonoise 100% agree. I loved my SU-G700, but as soon as I heard the MK2 was coming I returned it rather paying a bit more and getting a bit more later with the revamped version. However when I contacted the seller and asked when I could expect the MK2, they said release in December and then probably another 1-2 months because they heard (don’t know if true) Technics was moving it’s assembly to Malaysia I think?

I wasn’t gonna go that long (October to February) with out my beloved SU-G700, so I got crazy and looked at the SU-R1000. It so happened that the GBP was taking a killing and USD rate was about 1:1.25 so with a first time purchaser discount I was able to get a new SU-R1000 to my door for 2k less then advertised retail here in America.

Extremely happy with it and in having had both now the SU-G700 and the SU-R1000, the SU-R is more sonically true to it’s source material and neutral, where the SU-G has a little more digital glare and almost reverb like qualities with regards to microdynamics. Depending on what the pairing from your DAC to your SU-G listening fatigue can set in. Only in the sense that you can audibly here what the SU-G and LAPC are doing to your sound. I feel that the ADC of the SU-R is impeccably detailed and accurate, far more than the SU-G, but bass, sound field depth and and holographic presentation was not what I would expect considering the price difference between the two. I was hoping for more from the SU-R. But what I can say is that the moving coil phono stage, along with the electronic crosstalk cancellation and DSP cartridge optimization settings within the Technics, you will not be disappointed while listening to vinyl in any way shape or form with this thing. If anything I can honestly say that it’s the best sounding vinyl I have ever been able to get out of my system pairing it with the DSP settings of the Technics (Teac TT, XLR to MC stage with Ortofon MC Blue cartridge).

Sadly I would only recommend the SU-R to big vinyl lovers, and ultimately was more impressed by the SU-G just for it’s sheer brilliance of price point and overall incredible sound (really enjoy the LAPC feature when first hearing it). Not that that you are doesn’t do all those things, and many more things better, but again the SU-G was my first love and it really opened my eyes and ears when first listing.

I’ve had about 5 integrated amps for extended listening periods and can’t say enough good things about the SU-G700, and would absolutely recommend the MK2 with the new trickle down tech from the SU-R. Honestly if my wife gets into music listening I might grab the MK2 for her, since I’m gifting her my old TT she picked me up last year along with about 30 records I bought for her.

100% would grab the SU-GMK2

I love the SU-R, and really wouldn’t (hadn’t) considered another integrated amplifier. It just checks so many boxes. But the ADC which some rave about (detail, staging, separation, etc) kinda left me wanting more from the Technics, which for some is unforgivable considering it’s price. But I never had any intentions of using the SU-R as a stand alone and have my Musetec MH-DA005 DAC (incredible!!!), but what really makes my jaw hit the floor is how I can listen to digital music through my Innuos Zen MK3 + Phoenix USB, and then drop down that same vinyl record and have to ask myself "no which one sounds better".

The Technics SU-R’d DSP and MC phono stage is just that good! Really is something special considering everything it does and just how well it does it.

But great part is the SU-G700 has more character in sound with it’s Burr-Brown DAC. And I’ll be honest I feel there’s maybe more depth in pairing difference with the SU-G then the SU-R. Where the SU-R being more neutral let’s your speakers, amp and DAC shine a little more in summation. But the SU-G with it’s more colored sound and implementation of LAPC I feel like it could be a sound quality multiplier depending on what equipment you use.

I felt the SU-G really turned the detail and sound field depth of my Gustard X26pro to 11, and had a more audible change. Where as the SU-R didn’t have the jump in sound. Don’t get me wrong the SU-R sounded better (detail, decay, staging), but it didn’t have the that distinct change in sound while swapping out different DAC’s.

Whatever the SU-G does to your sound (analog in and then digital augmentation and then analogue out) you’ll really hear it’s difference for better or worse. My only complaint was again that I felt there was more of a bright and digitally harsh sound to some music and then an almost reverb like effect to some vocals. It really made old familiar music sound different, but some people might not like it’s coloration. I liked it, but I knew that I was hearing "it" (the SU-G) rather then hearing what was there (the original music).