New in 2019

Happy New Year!Feel free to post this year's new releases and re-issues from any genre. Neil Young promises a 2-disc set from "Ragged Glory" sessions. Will we see a Tool album? I sure hope so.
jafant
Here is a ridiculous one- Pink Floyd- The Later Years
16 disc set of Pink Floyd material from 1987 on including 13 hours of unreleased material. 5 cd's, 6 Blu-ray, and 5 DVD's. 60 page book. All this for $450. It looks like the Blu-ray and DVD discs are the same - just different formats. Even though I would like to hear the unreleased stuff, $450 is too high and why would you want the same videos in 2 different formats? Looks like Gilmour and co. are getting greedy in their old age. Release date is Nov. 29.
Personally, I'd love to see someone take the old R&B which Phil Specter recorded and somehow take all the echo, etc from the recordings. I love the music of Temptation, Smokey Robinson,& the Miracles, etc but the wall of sound only sounds good on a cheap setup or AM radio for which it was recorded

Spector didn’t produce The Temptations, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, or any other of the Tamla/Motown artists or groups. He used The Ronettes, Bobby B Sox & The Blue Jeans, The Crystals, Darlene Love, The Righteous Brothers, Ike & Tina Turner, etc, on his recordings, released mostly on Phillies Records (which he co-owned with Lester Sills).

Take the echo out of his recordings? His sound was much more than mere echo (the two echo chambers located under the parking lot of the Gold Star Recording Studio he used are revered by engineers---the best there have ever been. Brian Wilson tried to duplicate Spector’s sound, Dave Edmunds did brilliantly on his Rockfield Studio recordings, notably his Subtle As A Flying Mallet album). His "Wall Of Sound" was also the result of having multiple instruments playing either the same parts doubled or even tripled, or having closely-related instruments playing in different positions (1st, 2nd, etc.). He often had three bass players: electric, upright acoustic, and 6-string.

Then there is the fact that those recordings were made on a 2-track recorder; the echo was mixed in as the vocalists and instruments were being recorded. It’s impossible to remove.

Prana Crafter & Tarotplane
This is 2019 psychedelic music. Very interesting release if you like that type of music

Parquet Courts / Wide AWAAAAAKE 
Solid indie rock here. IMO it is the best they've released yet, & I'm a fan of this band 
Six LP "Crossroads Revisited" set to be released Dec. 6th. This is a collection from Eric Clapton's Crossroads festival going back to 2004. It features Clapton, Steve Winwood, Joe Walsh, John Mayer, Santana, Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck, and many other guitar wizards. 
So, one of the best aspects of the 'Gon is getting turned onto new music. Whether it be old classics you weren't aware of, new genres, or underexposed indie bands, the goal is to expand your knowledge and enjoy the sonic pleasures of listening to music. That being said, I have preached the virtues of Atlanta's Black Swan Lane for many years now. Their new album "Vita Eterna" was released today. This group moved to Atlanta from Manchester and brought the 80's Manchester sound (Smiths, New Order, Chameleons, etc) with them. I think that their Southern exposure has expanded their modus operandi. The new album features Dave Fielding from the Chameleons on guitar. They have 8 albums out and I can't emphasize the quality of their recordings enough. It's almost like Steely Dan where BSL is going to release an album perfected in their own studio every two years and never tour- because it's too much trouble. You can order their work at www.blackswanlane.com.     
maxnewid

I could not agree more about threads that introduce new or re-issued music. This is the impetus for my creating such a thread here.

Happy Listening!
Last week of 2019. Will there be a sleeper release or two before year's end? I sure hope so.

Merry Christmas!