My Long List of Amplifiers and My Personal Review of Each!

So I have been in a long journey looking to find the best amplifiers for my martin logan montis. As you know, the match between an amplifier and speakers has to be a good "marriage" and needs to be blend exquisitely. Right now, I think I might have found the best sounding amplifier for martin logan. I have gone through approximately 34-36 amplifiers in the past 12 months. Some of these are:

Bryston ST, SST, SST2 series
NAD M25
PARASOUND HALO
PARASOUND CLASSIC
KRELL TAS
KRELL KAV 500
KRELL CHORUS
ROTEL RMB 1095
CLASSE CT 5300
CLASSE CA 2200
CLASSE CA 5200
MCINTOSH MC 205
CARY AUDIO CINEMA 7
OUTLAW AUDIO 755
LEXICON RX7
PASS LABS XA 30.8
BUTLER AUDIO 5150
ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005

With all that said, the amplifiers I mentioned above are the ones that in my opinion are worth mentioning. To make a long story short, there is NO 5 CHANNEL POWER AMP that sounds as good as a 3ch and 2ch amplifier combination. i have done both experiments and the truth is that YOU DO lose details and more channel separation,etc when you select a 5 channel power amplifier of any manufacturer.
My recollection of what each amp sounded like is as follows:

ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005 (great power and amazing soundstage. Very low noise floor, BUT this amplifiers NEEDS TO BE cranked up in order to fully enjoy it. If you like listening at low volume levels or somewhat moderate, you are wasting your time here. This amp won’t sound any different than many other brands out there at this volume. The bass is great, good highs although they are a bit bright for my taste)

NAD M25 (very smooth, powerful, but somewhat thin sounding as far as bass goes)
Bryston sst2(detailed, good soundstage, good power, but can be a little forward with certain speakers which could make them ear fatiguing at loud volumes)

Krell (fast sounding, nice bass attack, nice highs, but some detail does get lost with certain speakers)

rotel (good amp for the money, but too bright in my opinion)

cary audio (good sound overall, very musical, but it didn’t have enough oomph)

parasound halo (good detail, great bass, but it still holds back some background detail that i can hear in others)

lexicon (very laid back and smooth. huge power, but if you like more detail or crisper highs, this amp will disappoint you)

McIntosh mc205 (probably the worst multichannel amp given its price point. it was too thin sounding, had detail but lacked bass.

butler audio (good amplifier. very warm and smooth sweet sounding. i think for the money, this is a better amp than the parasound a51)

pass labs (very VERY musical with excellent bass control. You can listen to this for hours and hours without getting ear fatigue. however, it DOES NOT do well in home theater applications if all you have is a 2 channel set up for movies. The midrange gets somewhat "muddy" or very weak sounding that you find yourself trying to turn it up.

classe audio (best amplifier for multi channel applications. i simply COULDNT FIND a better multi channel amplifier PERIOD. IT has amazing smoothness, amazing power and good bass control although i would say krell has much better bass control)

Update: The reviews above were done in January 2015. Below is my newest update as of October 2016:

PS AUDIO BHK 300 MONOBLOCKS: Amazing amps. Tons of detail and really amazing midrange. the bass is amazing too, but the one thing i will say is that those of you with speakers efficiency of 87db and below you will not have all the "loudness" that you may want from time to time. These amps go into protection mode when using a speaker such as the Salon, but only at very loud levels. Maybe 97db and above. If you don’t listen to extreme crazy levels, these amps will please you in every way.

Plinius Odeon 7 channel amp: This is THE BEST multichannel amp i have ever owned. Far , but FAR SUPERIOR to any other multichannel amp i have owned. In my opinion it destroyed all of the multichannel amps i mentioned above and below. The Odeon is an amp that is in a different tier group and it is in a league of its own. Amazing bass, treble and it made my center channel sound more articulate than ever before. The voices where never scrambled with the action scenes. It just separated everything very nicely.

Theta Dreadnaught D: Good detailed amp. Looks very elegant, has a pleasant sound, but i found it a tad too bright for my taste. I thought it was also somewhat "thin" sounding lacking body to the music. could be that it is because it is class d?

Krell Duo 300: Good amp. Nice and detailed with enough power to handle most speakers out there. I found that it does have a very nice "3d" sound through my electrostatics. Nothing to fault here on this amp.
Mark Levinson 532H: Great 2 channel amp. Lots of detail, amazing midrange which is what Mark Levinson is known for. It sounds very holographic and will please those of you looking for more detail and a better midrange. As far as bass, it is there, but it is not going to give you the slam of a pass labs 350.5 or JC1s for example. It is great for those that appreciate classical music, instrumental, etc, but not those of you who love tons of deep bass.

It is articulate sounding too
Krell 7200: Plenty of detail and enough power for most people. i found that my rear speakers contained more information after installed this amp. One thing that i hated is that you must use xlr cables with this amp or else you lose most of its sound performance when using RCA’s.

Krell 402e: Great amp. Very powerful and will handle any speaker you wish. Power is incredible and with great detail. That said, i didn’t get all the bass that most reviewers mentioned. I thought it was "ok" in regards to bass. It was there, but it didn’t slam me to my listening chair.

Bryston 4B3: Good amp with a complete sound. I think this amp is more laid back than the SST2 version. I think those of you who found the SST2 version of this amp a little too forward with your speakers will definitely benefit from this amp’s warmth. Bryston has gone towards the "warm" side in my opinion with their new SST3 series. As always, they are built like tanks. I wouldn’t call this amp tube-like, but rather closer to what the classe audio delta 2 series sound like which is on the warm side of things.

Parasound JC1s: Good powerful amps. Amazing low end punch (far superior bass than the 402e). This amp is the amp that i consider complete from top to bottom in regards to sound. Nothing is lacking other than perhaps a nicer chassis. Parasound needs to rework their external appearance when they introduce new amps. This amp would sell much more if it had a revised external appearance because the sound is a great bang for the money. It made my 800 Nautilus scream and slam. Again, amazing low end punch.

Simaudio W7: Good detailed amp. This amp reminds me a lot of the Mark Levinson 532h. Great detail and very articulate. I think this amp will go well with bookshelves that are ported in order to compensate for what it lacks when it comes to the bass. That doesn’t mean it has no bass, but when it is no Parasound JC1 either.
Pass labs 350.5: Wow, where do i begin? maybe my first time around with the xa30.8 wasn’t as special as it was with this monster 350.5. It is just SPECTACULAR sounding with my electrostatics. The bass was THE BEST BASS i have ever heard from ANY amp period. The only amp that comes close would be the jC1s. It made me check my settings to make sure the bass was not boosted and kept making my jaw drop each time i heard it. It totally destroyed the krell 402e in every regard. The krell sounded too "flat" when compared to this amp. This amp had amazing mirange with great detail up top. In my opinion, this amp is the best bang for the money. i loved this amp so much that i ended up buying the amp that follows below.

Pass labs 250.8: What can i say here. This is THE BEST STEREO AMP i have ever heard. This amp destroys all the amps i have listed above today to include the pass labs 350.5. It is a refined 350.5 amp. It has more 3d sound which is something the 350.5 lacked. It has a level of detail that i really have never experienced before and the bass was amazing as well. I really thought it was the most complete power amplifier i have ever heard HANDS DOWN. To me, this is a benchmark of an amplifier. This is the amp that others should be judged by. NOTHING is lacking and right now it is the #1 amplifier that i have ever owned.

My current amps are Mcintosh MC601s: i decided to give these 601s a try and they don’t disappoint. They have great detail, HUGE soundstage, MASSIVE power and great midrange/highs. The bass is great, but it is no pass labs 250.8 or 350.5. As far as looks, these are the best looking amps i have ever owned. No contest there. i gotta be honest with you all, i never bought mcintosh monos before because i wasn’t really "wowed" by the mc452, but it could have been also because at that time i was using a processor as a preamp which i no longer do. Today, i own the Mcintosh C1100 2 chassis tube preamp which sounds unbelievable. All the amps i just described above have been amps that i auditioned with the C1100 as a preamp. The MC601s sound great without a doubt, but i will say that if you are looking for THE BEST sound for the money, these would not be it. However, Mcintosh remains UNMATCHED when it comes to looks and also resale value. Every other amp above depreciates much faster than Mcintosh.

That said, my future purchase (when i can find a steal of a deal) will be the Pass labs 350.8. I am tempted to make a preliminary statement which is that i feel this amp could be THE BEST stereo amp under 30k dollars. Again, i will be able to say more and confirm once i own it. I hope this update can help you all in your buying decisions!

128x128jays_audio_lab

Hmm, might be a bad guess though since WC hated Boulder 2060 and 3060 old like 2060 and probably more of same. So that’s probably not correct after all.

My original guess was D’Ag Relentless but I think that only monoblocks and WC said stereo amp, so don’t think that can be it.

Maybe Gryphon Apex if it is out

You seemed to have had a bit of an “ah hah!” moment in PR when experiencing the profound effect the room can have on a system. You looked somewhat surprised. I was a professional musician for many years and I learned that the (theoretically) best acoustic guitar in a sh*t room didn’t sound as good as a $1000 guitar in a great acoustic space. So from a listener’s standpoint, which guitar was better? Makes you reevaluate your opinions sometimes.

Very important fact and interesting post for me...

I predicted that in my first post here but apparently for some members here i was distracting the thread away from  the "tasting" sessions discussions...I dont speak about Jay here...

Acoustic is the way and key, not price tag.... Unamplified "timbre" is the only ruler to evaluate a system, the others acoustic cues comes after, like imaging, listener envelopment and dynamic...

Dont be afraid i will vanish...

ou seemed to have had a bit of an “ah hah!” moment in PR when experiencing the profound effect the room can have on a system. You looked somewhat surprised. I was a professional musician for many years and I learned that the (theoretically) best acoustic guitar in a sh*t room didn’t sound as good as a $1000 guitar in a great acoustic space. So from a listener’s standpoint, which guitar was better? Makes you reevaluate your opinions sometimes.

Just to clarify- I never meant to imply that cheaper gear is better and the high-priced stuff is a rip off. Not at all. I was just trying to point out that evaluating and comparing audio equipment is not as simple as owning it and listening to it in your room. Makes you think of the issues designers face when they design products that will be used in totally unknown acoustic spaces and in combination with unknown equipment. I wonder what Jay’s opinion of the Wilson speakers in PR would be had he only heard them in PR, as opposed to his opinion of the same speaker in his room.  So many variables at work. 

This video is 40 minutes long. It is great content that I hope people learn something from. Should you be trusting reviewers that have no dedicated rooms? Should a reviewer with a huge following cashing big checks from YouTube spend money in a good room? This is a very controversial topic. Don’t miss it!

It's common sense: if you have a big following and are making money hand over first, YOU MUST HAVE A DEDICATED ROOM or else you're clearly not a serious audiophile. 

Post removed 

A dedicated room is not a room where someone put an audio system...

I think this statement is very wrong. I think it is more imperative, that a listener ( reviewer ) be " familiar " with his / her room, than to have it " dedicated ".

A dedicated room is a room ACOUSTICALLY dedicated and acoustically tuned for a specific system and for some ears...

Then it is impossible to be familiar with a room in the acoustical meaning of the word "familiar" if you dont have tuned this room and explored all his transformative possibilities and impediments by acoustic experiments...

My only discovery in audiophile experience, is not the gear...buying and plugging is easy if we can afford it ...But tuning a room for the system is the way how to learn the room and the system relation ...Acoustic optimization is mandatory... And a dedicated room is the only absolute luxury necessity in audio....

I dont say it is impossible to create a great system in a living room , i say that it is more difficult...

Jay is right and OCD mike is here...

By the way there is NO RELATION in S.Q. between the same gear put in a living room without acoustic optimization and the same gear put in a room specifically tuned for it... NONE.... It is a complete transformation like starting from a caterpillar to a buttterfly...

Guess why most people dont know that?

They put their gear in a non acoustically non dedicated room most of the times and the higher it cost the more they call it an audiophile experience...

In truth the more costly device in audio most of the times must be the room......

Sound is first an acoustic experience and lived event which is used and treated in some perspective by the recording engineer with his own choices and trade-off and this recording event must be conveyed to you and TRANSLATED acoustically in your room...Not reproduced which is impossible but translated...

You dont listen to an amplifier, you listen to the amplifier/speakers/ROOM tuned chain... And the last link is the most important one because it is a link specifically tuned to optimize all the piece of gear ideally for your own specific ears...

Guess why my 500 bucks system dont sound like a 500 bucks one?

You can laugh but i laugh last....

By the way i am not stupid and i dont pretend that a low cost system become a high end system by acoustic miracles..

But i pretend that ANY system is acoustically miraculously transformed from a caterpillar to a butterfly accordingly to his own design electronic qualities potential...

Acoustic means more than price tag at the end though ....it is the reason why comparing gear in a room which is not dedicated not only to music but to the specific system is meaningless..

Any reviewer must compared two system IDEALLY in their own tuned room...

Which is an impossible task when you want to compared many amplifiers....

This is the reason why i read about acoustic not about the gear publicity ....It is way more easy to buy a relatively good amplifier at all cost than installing it in his rightful embedding working dimension which acoustic is the main important one...

Acoustic is the sleeping princess and all the pieces of gear are the seven working dwarves, nothing more...

😁😊

my best to all and i apologize for my unwanted rant here...

I go back to my low cost hole....Room....

Post removed 

Yes my Sansui is recapped and cleaned...I own the AU 7700 and one of the alpha series also...I also cleaned my house electrical grid and control vibrations/resonance with my own devices with great results....

And almost everyone can distinguish differences between any piece of gear in any non dedicated room...Almost everyone with ears...

This trivial common place fact dont contradict the ESSENTIAL fact that the peak working potential of any audio system cannot be experienced in bad acoustic conditions AT ALL... And any ordinary non acoustically treated and especially non mechanically controlled room is very bad acoustic condition, sorry... And this is not a trivial common place fact like saying that 2 amplifiers sound different in any place...For sure gear sound different in any place... 😁😊 but an optimal potential working is not a mere difference only...

Reviewers sells...Nothing else...They are biased to sell somthing...

Some like Jay try to be honest and succeed... The proof is right here ... Who is the rare reviewer to admit that acoustic superseed his own costly system right now and admit he was wrong underestimating acoustic ?

Jay did this.... It is the reason why he is the only reviewer i read or listen to ... Honesty and humbleness...

Read acoustic not reviewer it will help like ithelp me to enjoy music at the end with no frustration at all about costly high end system ...

By the way Jay is not so much a reviewer fir me , he is an audiophile describing his own journey and not only comparing piece of gear to sell them...

This is the reason i read him....Honesty.. I am interested by him not by the gear he speak about ... I cannot afford it and I dont need to upgrade anyway even if i could i will not do it guess why?.... 😁😊

ou can easily hear differences between components in a room that is not a dedicated one, which is MY point, and to say it is impossible and degrade reviewers because of them not having dedicated listening rooms, is ridiculous. Always, my best to you ! MrD.

Report this

Post removed 

Really good video Jay...a lot of food for thought.  Definitely know the reviewer's reference point.  What gear does he / she own, and have owned.  Do they have a background in music, electronics, acoustics etc...As far as reviewers having dedicated listening rooms, I have heard some god-awful dedicated listening rooms.  I have also heard some fantastic dedicated listening rooms and really great living room systems too.  Dedicated or not, it's what you do to the room that matters. 

I changed my tune on this over the years. Man caves aren’t necessary for great sound and go visit Albert Porters house if you don’t believe me. 

Steve Guttenberg sold hifi for years. He has heard it all and does whatever he wants - it’s not like he’s naive. 

I like the videos Jay does with OCD. I think they’re also good for Mikey, as he seems to come off better when he interfaces with another person as opposed to being left to his own devices. IMO.  I think the dedicated room argument has merit, but to me, the most important aspect of music reviewers is for the end user to find reviewers whose tastes align with their own. Like with restaurant reviewers. If you hear a review about the place and love it, I don’t care if the reviewer lives in a cardboard box and eats spagettios every day. I used to like Sam Tellig myself. He liked stuff that was on the smooth/musical side and I purchased several items he reviewed. 

Listened to a $100,000 plus system in the same room on two different occasions. Once with acoustic treatments placed by an industry professional with proper room testing, measuring devices and the like. Took it all down and the music sounded better. It just did.

I have had dedicated rooms with all manner of acoustic treatments and my current living room with two diffusion treatments sounds far better.

Also had another interesting experience this past month. I first placed my speakers far away from room boundaries and did all I could to remove the room’s impact on the sound. Sounded great. I then placed my Fyne F704 speakers in the room corners just one foot from the side walks and some 4 feet from the wall behind them. Strong toe in. The room was more at play now influencing the sound far more. Guess what? It sounds even better this way.

I can confidently say acoustic treatments are not always needed and won’t always sound better. I can also say acoustic treatments can indeed help improve the sound of your system. No broad brush answer or absolutes here. Depends on the room and your furnishings etc…

Don’t accept any “common wisdom” and simply experiment on your own. Trust your ears and preferences.

I have noticed that absorption panels often hurt the sound. This has been experienced in my last two rooms. I no longer use them, but instead use a bit of diffusion on the front wall. This is only my experience and you may find them advantageous. Again, it all depends on your particular space, furnishings, gear and sonic preferences.

A dedicated room is not always better sounding. An acoustically treated room is not always better sounding. Real fine sounding systems do reside in shared living spaces. Also, treated dedicated rooms can also sound absolutely stunning. Your mileage will vary on this so experiment for yourself!

whooooaaaa, well, well... look at this!

The thread was DEAD and now it is starting to take off again. It appears to me that a little controversy, drama, etc is just what people need from time to time.

To address the comments above, I was very clear and still stand behind what i said:

IF YOU ARE A YOUTUBER AND THIS IS YOUR 9-5, A DEDICATED ROOM IS A MUST. I never said this applies to you folks who are hobbyist and have regular jobs. I started this in my living room (as mrdecibel said) and was able to gather enough funds to build a dedicated room once i became more serious about it.

I have been vocal about this: I DO NOT DO THIS 100% (FULL TIME) I need health insurance, 401k, etc, etc, but i treat it as if it was a full time job because I work my @$$ off doing content, driving far to pick up equipment, spending ridiculous amounts of money to present to you some of the finest electronics available today.

I wear many hats:

• Employee
  • Husband
  • Dad
  • Youtuber
  • Sales Person (selling my own gear on here)

It is not easy to do what I do (try it and see how much fun it is).

I will definitely continue to voice my opinion (this is all subjective) because people want to know my deepest thoughts about many different subjects. Lots of people were sending me links to the video that was made about someone calling out reviewers who are not ready to review speakers because reviewers sometimes don’t have the proper room - so I responded.

Differences of opinion are a real thing in everyday life. Often times people just want an opinion about a component and these opinions can be had from anyone at your local best buy or even your local grocery store, but if you want QUALIFIED OPINIONS on equipment then that is A WHOLE DIFFERENT animal. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide which opinion you are looking for.

Hmm!!! starting to look like a numbers game! May the best man win...😉👍

Steve Guttenberg Audiophilia.....*211K subscribers*
Jay’s Audio Lab.....*9.6K subscribers*
OCD HI-Fi Guy.....*13.1K subscribers*

Jay, you may be off on this one. Cannot make a blanket claim on a dedicated room being a must for best sound quality. It depends is the very most one can say. Too many space, gear, furnishing and subjective preference considerations.

Opinions from anyone, regardless of experience level and room used, is just a starting place. It won’t necessarily translate to another space or sonic preference. One must, in the end, play and test in their own space. Folks like Jim Smith have loads of experience and I listen particularly carefully to them. However, they deliver a great starting place and I must then test and experiment in my own space.

People dont realize the complexity of acoustics...

For sure some living room system with no acoustic treatment and no acoustic controls could sound acceptable even good...

That is not my point... At all...

My point is optimization of any audio system to transform it from a beautiful caterpillar to a wonderful butterfly NEED and ask for embeddings controls of the mechanical, electrical and ESPECIALLY acoustical dimensions...

There is no exceptions so good your system is in a living room with or without embeddings controls...

Acoustic AND HIS RELATION TO PSYCHO-ACOUSTIC is too complex for most people to figure out anyway without studying basic, they think that putting panels somewhere is enough....

The goal is not neutralizing the SMALL room but adapting the room  to your audio system and specific speakers and to your specific ears...A small room is not an amphiteater...In an amphiteater the time and timing dont play the same role at all than in a 13 feet room where only one person and two listen music likemine... And there is all other rooms between this 2 extreme size...Acoustic devices and controls will differ...

In acoustic there is small room and big room and there is a huge difference between the two when it comes to treatment and control....

But in the two cases the acoustic is mandatory and more easy and sometimes possible only in a dedicated room...

But  we can enjoy music in some living room without acoustic for sure.... But dont think that your beautiful caterpillar never mind the cost has metamorphosed in a butterfly because you think so or claim so...

Dont ask me....

Ask someone owning a high end system and a highly acoustically designed and controlled room what is the more important the brand name of his gear or the dedicated room ?

Ask him..... 😁😊

Ask him why he paid more for the room than for the speakers or more than ever the audio system cost itself ?

Acoustician cost big money ...

i experimented myself for 2 years it is the reason why i know the little i know...

I understand completely. Your comments can apply and yield better sonic results in a given room, or not! Depends on the variables I already outlined.

Ask me what’s more important gear or room? The answer is it depends. Been there, done this listening and experimenting for decades. No ONE answer applies universally unfortunately. 

Sorry but the fact that some system sound "good" in a living room without even acoustic method being used is one thing, which i dont negate at all, BUT

An acoustical OPTIMIZATION process of the system is ANOTHER thing, a completely different fact...

Confusing the two with a relativization conclusion to suit our "taste" is a sophism negating the OBJECTIVE  power of acoustic ...By the way there exist no "taste" in acoustic but only the history and specific ability and structure of each pair of ears/brain....Our ears are the last judge but our ears must be if not musically trained at least acoustically trained....

Three thousand years of acoustic history beginning with the Egyptian and after them the Greek using acoustic to change the properties of room or amphiteather is a fact, an optimization of the acoustic space which has notrhing to do with the satisfaction of some people in a non acoustically treated and uncontrolled room...

Be logical....

Ha! Yes, we just disagree on degree of importance room to room. That’s all. I have logically and tirelessly compared “treatments” over the years and stand behind my comments.

Another sophism...

There is a difference in DEGREE yes between all systems acoustically treated or not...

But with your sophism you negate the difference between a particular system submitted to the acoustic optimization process before and after , you cannot negate the difference between BEFORE and AFTER it...You cannot claim that some system exist WHICH WILL NEVER need acoustic optimization process because they seems to sound good for your taste in an uncontrolled room.... Acoustic is science and experiments not a taste... Acoustic is personal and collective history...

This is your sophism...

to be clear and for your sake:

My system is a very low cost one and my room is completely controlled acoustically...

There is a HUGE an astounding difference with the same gear i own between BEFORE and AFTER acoustic control...

Is this acoustic successful control of mine is able to transform my audio system and put it on the same potential level than Jay costly high end one even if the system of Jay is in a non acoustically controlled room ?

The answer is no... Acoustic dont transform magically low cost design in high end design...

then dont confuse your relative experience with some systems in different state and rooms with the power of an optimization process linked in all case to the potential of very different systems...

Optimization always beat by huge margin non optimization for ANY system...

Comparing an optimized room/speakers like mine to Jays system few months ago EVEN in a non optimized acoustical condition WILL NOT PUT MY SYSTEM ON THE SAME LEVEL than his system ...

Is it clear? 😁😊

Then we disagree .... I recognized that between different systems there MAY be a difference of degree ONLY...But for a specific system acoustic control induce a complete transformation and make this system able to reach his optimal working potential... It is not a degree difference here, it is a transformation...

But so big the transformation is , this will not transform a vintage Sansui amplifier or my modest Mission Cyrus speakers into the same ball game than High end amplifier and speakers FOR SURE...

Acoustic do miracles for a system, but dont transform pig into a beatiful girl....But magnificent pig exist so to speak.... 😁😊

Ha! Funny stuff. Yes, we just disagree on degree of importance room to room. That’s all. I have logically and tirelessly compared “treatments” over the years and stand behind my comments.

Sound and music are all about taste. Acoustic is a means to the end of enjoying music and subjective. Sometimes a room will measure better after optimization, but not sound as good to the listener. I have experienced this reality first hand. Acoustic control WILL NOT ALWAYS yield better subjective sound in every room. Not just a matter of math or science. Much more at play here.

Sound and music are all about taste.

Sound and music are about taste AT THE END of a process not only from the beginning...

Taste EVOLUTE...Tasting and learning to taste is a process...At the end it is an objective experience because it become a collective knowledgelike in acoustic and wines...

It is called learning...Man is not a crocodile with innate taste...Man can work on himself...Or not.... Listening the same music all his life for example...Or be satisfied with a limited sound experience because he listen music never mind the sound and thats correct for sure...

Sometimes a room will measure better after optimization, but not sound as good to the listener. I have experienced this reality first hand. Acoustic control WILL NOT ALWAYS yield better subjective sound in every room. Not just a matter of math or science. Much more at play here.

This last remark reveal that you dont know the difference between acoustic and psycho-acoustic... Sorry...

I never say that numbers and objective measures ONLY and MAINLY is the optimization process... i say that listenings experiments are... Why?

Because in psycho-acoustic the EARS /BRAIN are judge, not because of our taste but because they directed and guide us in the EXPERIMENTS INCREMENTAL PROCESS in our own room...

For me, and me only, I find this all so self-serving.  The transition I see in this "thread" is causing me to move on, away from how I once viewed this channel/thread to how I see it now.  

I know, good riddance.. see ya, who needs ya.  

Stay i quit....Answering someone is my right though...But now i quit...

Be happy in your personal kingdom..

😁😊

You are too smart for me @mahgister ! I am a simple man and learn from experience and intentional curiosity. Perhaps we are not communicating well. I bet a full conversation is more likely to produce some agreement and understanding.

@rpeluso +1

I could not agree more.

Post removed 

Since the premise is ridiculous on its face, I think Jay did this to stir up the pot.  Jay, why don't you just do your thing and let others create controversy?  Do you really think we are so obtuse that we can't figure out what the reviewers/you tubers have been doing?   

some of us have finely tuned rooms that look like living rooms……

like Mr Db, i get around…even in Covid times, twenty good to off the charts rooms this year….fun

Carry on…..

All comments above are welcomed and appreciated 👍.

I respect what you all believe in and I’m not trying to change anyone’s preferences. The Jay from 4 years ago that had neoliths in his living room would have been laughing at the Jay from today. I’ve transformed (as we all do) and I’m now looking back at my mistakes. Do you all remember my amps on the floor way back when? Do you remember me without bass traps in the corners?

A lot has changed since then and I am getting ready to break the news of the next brand i am going to represent. If you ask WHY? simple: there is NOTHING LIKE IT and trust me I’ve tried a boat load of components that are aiming to do the same but can’t.

I’m being strategic about what i want to put my name on. I’m not going to be a convenience store - selling beer, pizza, gas, Tylenol, etc etc. When i put my name on something, it will be because I’ve tried a ton and i keep going back to it. That said, i will STILL bring more gear in for review. I don’t represent Gryphon and yet i feel like a cheerleader for it? That goes to show you that even if i don’t represent something, i will give it props if they are well deserved.

Mrdecibel, trying to do a YouTube channel at 68 is not a smart move. It will take a toll on you and it is A LOT of work. Don’t forget the commentary that is associated with each video.

Maybe the new CH 10 series stereo amp is the incoming one? that would certainly fit the price tag. not sure what others are out there as most are monoblocks at that level.

Post removed 

The amplifier that will be unveiled soon is not a brand I'm going to represent. That said, it is at the top of the mountain with the Mephisto. Which one will i prefer? You shall find out...

MrDecibel said, "Dynamics, fast detailed transients and smooth natural decay ( what you hear at live, uncompressed, non amplified performances ), ime, can only be produced by horn loaded loudspeakers."

I mostly agree, and that applies to loud SPL's especially.  But for SPL's at 20-80 dB or so, electrostatics are king for resolution and fine detail.  Horns are king among dynamic drivers.  Avantgarde is my favorite low coloration horn speaker, although I haven't heard newer companies' horns.  Horns allow low power amps, which are more likely to be SOTA than megawatt powerhouses with lots of parts.

I guess I've even away from this thread too long but @jays_audio_lab are you now another on-line dealer pushing gear? 

@rsf507 

I agree, you have been away far too long...circle back and watch my videos or read the thread. I write here and do content on YouTube. I don’t want keep repeating myself (it’s already too much to manage YouTube ). If people want to know what I’m doing all they gotta do is subscribe to my channel.

Lastly, I feel like I’ve worked my @$$ off on here for over 5 years (it’s well documented here on this thread?) so if I feel like representing something i believe in then i will do exactly that.

Why? Because it’s my journey and I am behind the steering wheel. I’ve done it ALONE, with zero sponsors so i don’t really have to explain myself? However, i still do it because I believe in transparency.

My body of work is documented here throughout the 380 pages found on this thread.

If my answer to your question above seems strong, it is because you came at me with a tone i didn’t like.

Post removed