Mc 452 or MC 302

I have recently went to the local Best Buy and listened to the MC 452, through a pair of Martin Logan speakers, I believe they were Expressions. Although the sound was very clear, it just seemed loud and not Mcintosh like. 
 See, I am thinking of buying a Mcintosh amplifier. I currently have a pair of Martin Logan Theos. I have them connected to an MC 7205 that is part of a 7.1 system. Marantz AV8802a. But now I am getting into listening to more music and like to listen through 2 channel stereo. What happens is that sometimes I notice the clipping light come on, on the 7205 and it is really not that loud. Knowing the Theos can draw some power from the amp, I thought that perhaps a larger amp would help this. So I am hung up between the MC-452 and the MC-302.
 So, do you think maybe the MC-302 might be enough? I will never need 450 watts, after all the room is 15' wide 22' long and only a 7' ceiling, it is in the basement. Any thought's would be appreciated. There is also quite a bit of price difference between these 2 amps.

Thanks

Ag insider logo xs@2xloganfan
It should be the MC452 OR the MC352 (later model double bal), not the 302. So you already know the answer I’m going to give...The MC452 wins! The 302 is not quad balanced (transistor) and is not a special amp to own...the MC452 is! And you can sell it down the road for a very good price because these are getting harder to find ( Mac amps under 500 watts with quad balanced design). The 452 is the amp for those Martins too! 

Then the question becomes, is my other gear up to snuff?  The MC452 is a beast of an amp and Mac dose not sell these anymore! Get one while you can!

Matt M
Matt,
 You say the MC 452 is not for sale anymore. Howevr it is still listed on the Mcintosh site. Are they coming out with a new 2 channel amplifier?

Andy

Its still listed because this is there latest circuit Quad balanced. And no there isnt anything coming out to replace it except for the Higher wattage more expensive models (this is my point). Not aware of any New 452’s being sold from MAC, you can buy them from Audio Classics as NOS or used im sure. The Magnolia dealer says they have had that MC452 for how long? Write down serial # and call McIntosh yourself. See when it was Manufactured. It was probably a few years ago.
I'm not sure what sure the 452 is going for but I think it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of a used pair of 501's which might be something else to explore.
Guys, The MC 301 Mono is also Quad balanced, So maybe 2 of these would do the trick.

I have enjoyed my MC452 for about two years now, compared it to the MC302 and thought it sounded better, just my opinion.

The MC452 is a current model.  McIntosh will be announcing new products each month for the rest of 2017, so who knows, maybe an MC452 replacement is in the works.  I think if you are patient, there are MC452's that come up for sale on Audiogon.  When I bought mine, I was going to buy a new one, but someone had one he'd bought four months earlier, so I snagged that one for a good discount off of list.

I really really enjoy the sound of the MC452, driving a pair of Focal speakers with beryllium tweeters.  I'm one of those nuts that buys that, sells this quite often, but no plans to sell the MC452!
I highly doubt that McIntosh will do anything to the MC452. It seems to be in the sweet spot of the line. There are several models that are way older than the MC452 destined, I am sure, to be updated/upgraded first.
Remember, sound pressure level is not linear to power.  The extra 150 watts nominal only get you 1.5 decibels.  I happen to love my MC302; it works very well in my rig.  I very much did not care for the MC402 with a pair of B&W 802s when I was auditioning amps.  I have not heard the MC452, but many here have waxed poetic about it.  I do have to disagree with Matt on one point; my 302 is special to me.  That's all that's required for a superior ownership experience.

Since you mention them, you might want to seriously consider a pair of MC301s.  That gets you a balanced design with more than enough power (IMO, anyway) and essentially infinite channel separation.  That's something no single stereo amp can do.  And it's in a chassis you can actually lift!

Should I make a change in the not-too-distant future, that's where I'd probably go.  Good luck no matter what direction you choose and happy listening!
Tz were not talking about tube amps...thanks tho. And Effischer any time you can own a McIntosh piece its special, your right. But I was referring to resale on the used market and "regard" for which its held within the MAC circles.

Matt M