Mc 452 or MC 302

I have recently went to the local Best Buy and listened to the MC 452, through a pair of Martin Logan speakers, I believe they were Expressions. Although the sound was very clear, it just seemed loud and not Mcintosh like. 
 See, I am thinking of buying a Mcintosh amplifier. I currently have a pair of Martin Logan Theos. I have them connected to an MC 7205 that is part of a 7.1 system. Marantz AV8802a. But now I am getting into listening to more music and like to listen through 2 channel stereo. What happens is that sometimes I notice the clipping light come on, on the 7205 and it is really not that loud. Knowing the Theos can draw some power from the amp, I thought that perhaps a larger amp would help this. So I am hung up between the MC-452 and the MC-302.
 So, do you think maybe the MC-302 might be enough? I will never need 450 watts, after all the room is 15' wide 22' long and only a 7' ceiling, it is in the basement. Any thought's would be appreciated. There is also quite a bit of price difference between these 2 amps.

Thanks

Ag insider logo xs@2xloganfan

Showing 1 response by effischer

Remember, sound pressure level is not linear to power.  The extra 150 watts nominal only get you 1.5 decibels.  I happen to love my MC302; it works very well in my rig.  I very much did not care for the MC402 with a pair of B&W 802s when I was auditioning amps.  I have not heard the MC452, but many here have waxed poetic about it.  I do have to disagree with Matt on one point; my 302 is special to me.  That's all that's required for a superior ownership experience.

Since you mention them, you might want to seriously consider a pair of MC301s.  That gets you a balanced design with more than enough power (IMO, anyway) and essentially infinite channel separation.  That's something no single stereo amp can do.  And it's in a chassis you can actually lift!

Should I make a change in the not-too-distant future, that's where I'd probably go.  Good luck no matter what direction you choose and happy listening!