Mc 452 or MC 302

I have recently went to the local Best Buy and listened to the MC 452, through a pair of Martin Logan speakers, I believe they were Expressions. Although the sound was very clear, it just seemed loud and not Mcintosh like. 
 See, I am thinking of buying a Mcintosh amplifier. I currently have a pair of Martin Logan Theos. I have them connected to an MC 7205 that is part of a 7.1 system. Marantz AV8802a. But now I am getting into listening to more music and like to listen through 2 channel stereo. What happens is that sometimes I notice the clipping light come on, on the 7205 and it is really not that loud. Knowing the Theos can draw some power from the amp, I thought that perhaps a larger amp would help this. So I am hung up between the MC-452 and the MC-302.
 So, do you think maybe the MC-302 might be enough? I will never need 450 watts, after all the room is 15' wide 22' long and only a 7' ceiling, it is in the basement. Any thought's would be appreciated. There is also quite a bit of price difference between these 2 amps.

Thanks

Ag insider logo xs@2xloganfan

Showing 3 responses by mattmiller

It should be the MC452 OR the MC352 (later model double bal), not the 302. So you already know the answer I’m going to give...The MC452 wins! The 302 is not quad balanced (transistor) and is not a special amp to own...the MC452 is! And you can sell it down the road for a very good price because these are getting harder to find ( Mac amps under 500 watts with quad balanced design). The 452 is the amp for those Martins too! 

Then the question becomes, is my other gear up to snuff?  The MC452 is a beast of an amp and Mac dose not sell these anymore! Get one while you can!

Matt M
Its still listed because this is there latest circuit Quad balanced. And no there isnt anything coming out to replace it except for the Higher wattage more expensive models (this is my point). Not aware of any New 452’s being sold from MAC, you can buy them from Audio Classics as NOS or used im sure. The Magnolia dealer says they have had that MC452 for how long? Write down serial # and call McIntosh yourself. See when it was Manufactured. It was probably a few years ago.
Tz were not talking about tube amps...thanks tho. And Effischer any time you can own a McIntosh piece its special, your right. But I was referring to resale on the used market and "regard" for which its held within the MAC circles.

Matt M